(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I always have trouble remembering that Huddlestone is under the age of 21.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

He's 22 in December from what I found on his profile. Good 2-0 win tonight for ENG U21's vs. Wales U21's. Wales matched us quite well but our defending was better with both our goals coming from dribbling acorss there earlier and a penalty from one and deflection from other.

Now if only other ENG players could take a penalty at international level like Huddlestone did :rolleyes:

3. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

England's Under 21 squad is very impressive.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Apart from the shooutout defeat in the semi final of 07 championship, its been a long time since they last lost a game. I have to admit I enjoy watching the U21 alot.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

So UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL this wednesday and despite me hoping to see a MAN UTD win because I hate how boring CHELSEA are, I can't see it happening.

I feel Chelsea will win 2-1 or even 2-0 and just sit back while Utd attack and then probably score a very poxy goal.

6. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Is there any way both could lose? I'm rooting for a meteor storm or an earthquake or something.

7. BRG

BRG Commander Red Shirt

I'm in the opposite camp. I hate Man Utd, and would love to see Chelsea steal the big one from right under their noses.;)
    However, I can't see anything but an Easy Win for United.:( I think 2-0.
    BRG

8. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm hoping for some kind of coup or revolution to take place in Moscow tonight.

Or maybe for both sides to get four players sent off, thus forcing the game to be abandoned.

But it seems unlikely.

So Chelsea simply must win. It's the lesser of two evils.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Man Utd have gone with an attacking line up and that is wise because Terry has not had alot of games lately and Essien is not a natural right back so Utd must push hard and they can uncover Chelsea's weakeness.

The danger man tonight for me is Ballack who is on form lately and Utd must not let him win anything in the air inside the box or they will probably live to regret it

10. Roger Wilco

Hey, if this game stays 1:1 until after the extra-time, an english team will win a penalty shoot-out, a historic event - at least something about this game would be extraordinary then. :D

11. Roger Wilco

Aww, too bad. It would have been absolutely fucking hilarious if Ronaldo had been responsible for the defeat because of the stupid penalty-trick he makes every time.

12. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, they did the double! I'm no great fan of Man Utd, but I'm happy for Ryan Giggs - he breaks Charlton's record for appearances, scores in the shootout, and is in a double-winning team. All in the same match. Nice one, Ryan!

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Oh well, congrats Man U. Keep it clean and don't drop it, we want it to look nice next season.

14. Roger Wilco

You're a supporter of Inter Milan? :D

15. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A decent final in the end, despite the concerns around another Man Utd Vs Chelsea snorefest.

Nothing in it really and I don't particularly think that either side deserved to lose. Unfortunate that John Terry missed a vital kick, I thought he'd been superb throughout.

Avram Grant showed great dignity in defeat and I was pleased to see him 'managing' Terry in the aftermath of the defeat.

50 years on from Munich, I guess it was written that Utd would win it. Bad luck Chelsea, but a very good advert of British and European football.

16. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No only England sucks at penalty shoot-out. English Clubs have won plenty of them.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Now thats a proper final, a game of two halves indeed and a large slick of 1999 luck for Utd with the woodwork just like back then saving them twice. Extra time was fairly even and what a header by Terry to keep Giggs shot away from the goal but am happy Man Utd won for Paul Scholes especially.

Drogba is a complete fool and I think sealed his own fate concering his Chelsea future and I didn't expect Terry to miss but then again the same could be said for Ronaldo who needs to cut out tricks for pens.

I think its fair to safe Ronaldo can do it in the finals because his goal was taken very well and he troubled Essien all night long. I feel sorry for Rooney who was repressed by Fergies tactics though he made several excellent passes that reminded me of David Beckham.

18. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought that was just bad tactics by Grant. I have cringed whenever Essien is being played at the RB. One his talent is clearly being the driving force in the midfield. Two he has very little defensive nous. Considering his quickness and pace he could've easily kept Ronaldo in his pockets just like what Ashley Cole does nearly all of the time. Fergie got it right by telling Ronaldo to stay on the left side. Look at the Barca game this year with Zambrotta shutting down Ronaldo and the Milan games last year with the combo of Oddo and Maldini which made him invisible. Why didn't Chelsea go out and get a proper RB this time.

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Hardly. I do wish Paddy would leave them.

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't watch Football other than the World Cup and sometimes the Champions League, but I liked watching the game today. It was fun and enjoyable, even though it was long. I think my only complaint (And after reading about past snorefests) was that I wish there was more urgency. This didn't feel like the final game to win the big trophy. It felt like just another football game and could have been more memorable. I think if Terry hadn't missed that shot at the end and Manchester Utd would have lost on Ronaldo's really stupid looking PK (First time I've seen it and man did he wait way too long to fake out the goalie), it would have been.