Natalie Portman in "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Noddy, Sep 20, 2013.

1. I'm watching this movie as we speak with my nephews who've never seen it. Portman really is terrible. The dialogue is awful too, so maybe she's as just embarrassed I dunno but others do ok with shitty dialogue too so that's not a major excuse.

These movies are hard to sit through once you've seen the, a few times.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you ever tried watching these movies naked while smeared in Vaseline?

It doesn't help.

3. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I still enjoy AOTC ... but it's the least re-watchable film of the entire saga.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Sandra Bullock, Gravity.

5. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Would she want him to see her in an outfit with such connotations though?

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Natalie has shown a lot more skin in other movies.

7. Robbiesan

Robbiesan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ms. Portman is not just a pretty face. She's an extremely talented actress and who's demonstrated that in diverse films: Black Swan, Cold Mountan, The Darleeling Limited, Garden State, etc.

Of course she's stunning. She's always been lovely. Let's not reduce her to that alone.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

We weren't. The bulk of the conversation in the thread is about her acting performance in the prequel trilogy.

ok, ok, I give. Yeah, this is a fairly salacious thread.

9. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I'd think she'd be more concerned with forcing her child to experience the dialogue she had to recite - or worse, Hayden's ... I bet she wishes that she could just wish that dialogue away - than with her wardrobe. :techman:

10. Guy Gardener

Worst case scenario...

"Mommy, that isn't daddy! THAT ISN'T DADDY! Why are you kissing not daddy!??"

Best case scenario...

"Mommy, is Princess Leia my sister?"

11. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I suppose there are other moms besides Portman who should probably be more concerned about their kids seeing them in certain outfits. Nana Visitor in her appearances as Mirror Kira, or Shania Twain in some of her music videos, for example. God knows they're raunchy enough.

12. Guy Gardener

Nana because Mirror Kira evil or because she's gayish?

Gay stopped being something the CIA would put you in a secret prison over 5 years ago.

Meanwhile, one of her children was in DS9.

That was a real bump.

How could you keep that from your child, that they are TV star... I wonder if the kid got residuals which is going to put towards their college education?

13. Noddy

Noddy Captain

The fact Mirror Kira is pretty evil, and that she's an ultra-sexual character with strong kinky vibes might make the actress hesitant to let her kids see that.

14. Guy Gardener

Daddy played a terrorist on 24, and he's playing a complete dick on Atlantis right now.

Nana played practically Lady Mengele on Dark Angel, and we saw her die of super cancer on BSG...

Kids ain't stupid.

And if they are, they sometimes grow out of it.

15. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Keira Knightley, who was Natalie Portman's double in Phantom Menace is much lovelier. Not as hard looking as Natalie turned out being, even in Revenge of the Sith.

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Natalie was a very skilled and competent actress when Lucas shot principal photography for AOTC during 2000-01 and if she displays any weaknesses and terrible performances in the second Prequel it's because Episode II is the weakest of all six existing Saga episodes and Lucas saddled her with some pretty mediocre dialogue that came off as stilted, wooden and unconvincing, almost as if she and Hayden were in a school play based on Star Wars and not in a megabudget, big screen chapter of that universe's adventures.

I give Natalie a whole lot of leeway in Clones because she and many of the other actors had to make do with what I believe is the least-competently executed story in the Saga to date and had to mouth lines that just frankly sounded bad, whether they would have come from her mouth, Kiera Knightley's or that of any other young actress of that moment. Natalie was dealt the dramatic hand she was given by the shooting script and did better with the material than many would have.

17. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Lock this thread. NOW.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

19. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Because this kind of discussion is sick and degrading.

20. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I suggest that if you have a problem with any moderator's actions you take it up with them in private. :vulcan:

Going forward, let's keep the discussion above the locker-room level. Complimenting Ms Portman or any actress on their appearance can be done without debasing them or yourselves.