Making the Switch to Linux Mint

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Amaris, Aug 5, 2015.

1. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

What J. said.

I've read the post but I have no clue what his point is.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I opted out of the Windows world a few years ago. The last Windows I used at home is XP (still have a laptop with it because reasons). I read the Win10 hashtag recently and it was like a peek into a bizarre parallel world. My father has Win 10 because his OS updated itself even though he didn't want it to (according to my Mum, anyway). I thought that she had misunderstood something but maybe that really happened. I don't even think it looks that good. But tastes differ, obviously.
    I use Ubuntu of which Mint is a derivative. I guess the differences between the two aren't that big. Will you use one the much fabled desktop environments people seem to be so enthusiastic about (Cinnamon and Mate)?
    There are now plenty of friendly and user friendly Linux distros, thankfully. Sometimes, there are problems but then again, Windows can be a pain in the ass, too. When I switched to Ubuntu I was already using most of the standard programs that came with it because I already was an open source advocate (much to the annoyance of my friends although some of them eventually came around ;)). So, the transition wasn't very difficult. The only thing I was picky about was an audio player. I have some specific wishes and settled on audacious. Don't hesitate to install programs and check them out. I did the same. I've found that the KDE programs (i.e. programs that were made for the KDE desktop environment) tend to mirror the Windows approach (put all functions into one program) the most. However, I only really use one of them, Okular, for all my pdf needs (highly recommended, I searched around a lot before I finally found this program that does all the things the Adobe reader can).

3. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Joke. You know, like a joke.

Win10 was like the greatest thing since KY Jelly, and all of a sudden it's no good. Ok, fine. U-turn accepted, moving on.

Jeez, lighten up people. :rolleyes:

4. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Jokes are usually funny.

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't say it wasn't any good, just that the lack of privacy surprised me. Windows 10 is still fast as a scalded dog, flexible, easy to use, and very stable. I still use it, but I wanted to use something where I could deal with more private or sensitive tasks without Windows looking over my shoulder, even if they didn't mean any harm by it, so I chose Linux Mint, which is now a part of my dual booted system.