is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by xvicente, Apr 28, 2013.

1. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

-Relics
    -Trials and Tribblelations
    -Flashback
    -In a Mirror, Darkly

All these are considered among the best episodes in their respective series. None of the 4 spinoffs have this kind of homage from each other;

The spinoffs are called spinoffs;

Kirk is mentioned in dialogue in the other series (except ENT of course -- but they went up to consider bring Shatner for their 6th season); Spock and Sarek were in TNG;

McCoy appeared in the TNG pilot; the next episode (Naked Now) was a remake of one of TOS, complete with Picard looking in awe at "Kirk's ship" in a computer screen.

TNG wasn't let spawn a movie series unless Shatner was in it, despite the absurdity of the plot that made it so.

TNG does not even has a proper name: its simply The Next
    Generation (weekly reminding Kirk's was the first)

The 2009 reboot is TOS. Made millions.

I wonder.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

No.

Plus, no one considers Flashback among Voyager's better episodes.

3. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Yes. We can close the thread now.

4. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And TOS fans are the only "true" fans. And only the "cerebral" episodes are truly "true" Star Trek episodes. And anyone who "disagrees" is "unintelligent" and "unevolved" and "unenlightened" and probably "voted" for "Bush."

:p

5. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I revel in my unintelligent, unevolved, and unenlightened enjoyment of TAS, TOS movies, TNG, DS9 and nuTrek.

ENT and VOY however. Those aren't real Trek. Nuh-uh! :shifty:

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I keep telling people the only true Trek is The Cage and Threshold. Yet no one listens.

7. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Well that's just great. You've used up the entire thread's allocation of quotation marks. If anyone uses any more we'll have to rent them from the BSG forum. :p

8. Greylock Crescent

^ Don't you mean the "BSG" forum?

Or is that the BSG "forum"?

I get confused.

9. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Enterprise did homage to TNG several times
    Voyager did homage to TNG (Borg, Riker and Geordi showing up, Q, and Pulaski being paged in Endgame). We also saw DS9.....
    TNG had at least two crossovers with DS9
    TNG references were common in DS9 thanks to Miles and Worf...

It would be hard for Enterprise to do homage to Voyager since most of Voyager was in the Delta Quadrant... or DS9, since Bajor and Cardassian is generally accepted to be unknown to Humans and Vulcans in Archer's time.

Besides, I thought TOS purists hated Relics because of how awful and brutally Geordi treated poor Scotty.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

This argument got old in 1987 when TNG arrived. ;)

11. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

Whoa. Looks like I choose words very badly. (specially the 'true')

Nothing wrong with being a spinoff fan, actually I am too.

Not saying TNG and the others are like 2nd grade Trek, only that TOS seems to have more momentum.

No need to take me to agony booth. I'll go.

12. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^It would be confusing to casual viewers for complete crossovers in the 24th Century shows, since they won't realize it. It's easier to do with TOS since it's a different Era, different uniforms and graphics (unless they are really oblivious to those things)

Oh, and I just remembered...a certain ENT episode was set on the Enterprise D

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. The TOS purists need to scale it back and realize not everyone likes what they do and there's nothing wrong with that.

14. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Also, another ENT episode ("Regeneration") was a follow-up to the TNG movie "First Contact". It probably didn't even make that much sense to anyone who hadn't seen the movie, come to think of it.

ETA: That was an addendum to Finn's post.

15. Greylock Crescent

Didn't DS9 start with an explicit TNG connection? And didn't it feature recurring TNG characters in its episodes as well as two TNG characters as a part of its cast? Didn't First Contact feature an explicit connection to DS9? ... etc.

Plus, DS9 dialogue repeatedly referenced TNG ("Picard never hit me" - "I'm not Picard"; and Worf's incredible homage while talking to O'Brien, "We were like warriors from the ancient sagas. There was nothing we could not do … it will not be the same … those were good years.”)

(I'd say more about ENT and VOY ... but I'm not as familiar with them).

16. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Yes, there were some connections between the 24th century shows during the period when they were running simultaneously. Voyager started off on DS9 just as DS9 got a push from TNG in their first episode.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

First of all "Flashback" sucked.

Second of all your topic is misleading. If you wanted to know why there weren't crossovers between the Modern Treks, there were plenty. They actually reference each other more than TOS!

18. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Everyone knows that according to Gene Rodenberry, only the second season of TOS, the first season of TAS, the second and sixth season of TNG, as well as scripts from its unproduced eight and eleventh seasons, the first and fifth films, and the Voyager episode Parturition are true Star Trek.

Duh.

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

"The Cage" is probably the only "true" Trek, because anything that came after was due to compromises with studios, networks, and censors. Roddenberry's only real restriction for the first pilot was his budget and what was technically feasible.

20. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

I'm okay with that. The Cage was excellent.