Blu-Ray updates to TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by easyzebra, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

The shot of Lietuentant Torres getting frozen is different from the original was the only real difference I noticed.

2. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Good catch. Ex-astris-scientia didn't even notice that. :techman:

I think you may be the first to point this out (please correct me if I'm wrong). I thought the wider angle looked a bit odd, because I hadn't remembered seeing the jets of frost moving around at him like that before. The close-up of Torres was always an optical enlargement of the medium shot (it's about a 220% magnification). That's why the grain looks huge on the close-up. That I did notice, but I hadn't gone back to look at the original SD version until just now, and you're absolutely right. I think they went with the original framing to minimize how bad the close-up looks in HD.

[​IMG]

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They stuck with the zoomed shot for when he is 'fully frozen' though, didn't they? I seem to recall the grain being oversized in that shot on the Blu.

4. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Exactly. I linked to it, here. I don't think they wanted to show it more than once. That's likely why they substituted the original medium shot for when the freezing starts. They probably thought the larger grain would be somewhat mistaken for the frost spray in the air when they cut back to him.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Gah, overlooked that link originally. Sorry. :)

6. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Great find! I hadn't noticed that before. I have sent screenshots to Bernd for inclusion in the article and we will give credit to you, Kamdan, if you're okay with that!

Jörg

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Thar's one of the first things I noticed, I mentioned shots that were changed in my first review...that was one of them.

RAMA

8. gaghyogi49

We'll give you, Kamdan and Maxwell Everett credit for the discovery, then! :-)

9. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You could say it's rabid, but at least we want to modernize the feel of the show, as opposed to just clear up the fuzzyness.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I suspect they were originally trying to hide the obvious spray of frost in the shot.

11. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

Cool! Where is the article?

12. gaghyogi49