If Star Trek Beyond Is The Last Film Should They Start NuTNG or Recast

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Pubert, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on this. Some of the actors like Qunito have mentioned they will want to move on to other things. If some of the mains such as Quinto or Pine decide to not do anymore of these movies after the third I think there are a few possibilities.

The franchise will take another break,
    We will see a recasting and a continuance of the current storyline.
    A TNG reboot in the NuTrek universe.
    A focus on a different starship and crew.
    A new TV series with a different starship and crew set in the NuTrek Universe.
    A return to the Prime Trek universe with a tv show showing events after TNG.
    A return to Prime Trek TNG movies and we pick up with a much older Picard.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Re: If Star Trek Beyond Is The Last Film Should They Start NuTNG or Re

We will see a recasting and a continuance of the current storyline.

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I think we'd only get one or the other out if we narrow it to those possibilities.

Look at the recent history of recasts for reboots. So far the three actors who have played Hulk are the only ones even remotely regarded as connected. Batman, Spiderman, Fantastic Four, all the others have been recastings but with a new story.

We're either going to see another recast after a hiatus, or they'll carry on with these actors and make a Fast and the Furious-structured series out of it.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Just one:

I think this thread is almost entirely about something other than nuTrek/Abrams Trek, so it doesn't really belong here. Why don't I just move it to the Future of Trek forum, which is the place for discussions hypothetical concerning Trek-which-might-someday-be?

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

If the third film is successful, I don't think we'll see a hiatus.

With the breaks between films being around three years I think there is a possibility for the cast to stick around because there is more freedom than pumping out a film every couple of years.

6. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I'd like to see more movies, but obviously this depends on the box office numbers, I wouldn't want to see more movies on lower budgets, that's what got the movie franchise into trouble in the first place.

Failing this, or maybe even preferably, I'd like to see a new series set in this timeline.

I can't possibly see a return to the Prime timeline, and the only way I could see a TNG reboot is a bit more into the future, after a break maybe.

7. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

Quinto wants to move on, so wht? remember how often Nimoy wanted to move on? In the end he appeared as Spock in 8 movies

8. BeatleJWOL

I am far more in favor of more films than I am of a hiatus of any kind. :bolian:

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Pine should've been cast as Captain Robert April, with a whole new crew as well, when the ship was originally launched. That way when actors wanted to leave and move onto other things then we could've gotten Christopher Pike, Number One, and the rest replacing them, before they left and were replaced by Kirk and Co.

Granted a few would have to commit to more movies than the others, but it would help show a realistic progression of careers, crew sacrifices, etc.

It always bugs me when characters are recast with different actors after just a film or two, they rarely ever live up to the original (no that isn't a direct dig at NuTrek).

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Either way, I'm good.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Sadly, I can't see a return to the original continuity, and recasting the JJ crew would be hard to accept. Too many / too fast reboots gets you The Amazing Spider Man...

I'd say another ship with a new crew but on TV, maybe way in the future. I'd certainly not want to see the TNG crew recast, so after the 24th century.

12. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Recast.

13. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

If they reboot the films, what I can see them doing is what they did with Batman. They made a series of Batman films that initially were advertised as dark (although Tim Burton is more quirky than truly dark) but they devolved into camp.

It was only 8 years between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins. By making that tonal shift to verisimilitude in the Nolanverse, WB could sell BB without disowning the Tim Burton-verse.

So that's how it's done. You don't just redo nuTrek in a JJ style with the wise-cracking kids right out of the academy. You swing the other way with it.

14. Long Syntax

Long Syntax Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could see a reboot of the films, as they've show a proclivity to do just that with the last set of actors (Quinto, Pine). However I think it might have a negative impact on the audience though. ST audiences tend to want longer term actors - myself included.

As for a TV series, I'm hoping they don't change to nuTrek timeline. There's still a universe out there to explore with relatively large gaps in the timeline to explore (e.g. Romulan wars, founding of the Federation).

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Hollywood's modus operandi these days is to reboot and recast. I don't see this being any different here. And that's only if the nufilms suddenly stop being the successes that they currently are.

However, the one thing that I never see Hollywood doing is going back to a previous continuity and continuing from there. The only times this was ever done was to either make shitty prequels to old great movies years after the fact (and thereby tarnishing the spirit of the original itself), or making even shittier sequels to old great movies years after the fact (to the same effect). And that was only done because Hollywood has run out of original ideas.

Now as for what Hollywood would reboot and/or recast as far as Trek is concerned? Definitely not VOY or ENT. TNG? Possible, but highly unlikely. A whole new crew on a whole new ship? Doubtful, as that would require actual thought processes to go into creating new characters. TOS? Absolutely. No thought required to recast Kirk or Spock. No need for heavy character exposition to tell the audience who they are, because people who have never even watched the show already know who Kirk and Spock are.

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think they'll squeeze out a fourth movie with the current TOS cast, but then recast them after that, with possibly a clean reboot (no time travel, no alternate reality stuff--just one brand-new continuity from scratch). I don't think we'll see anything other than Kirk's crew on the movie front, with new versions of them every 10-12 years.

17. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good points, Dukhat.

This explains why there is any live action Trek at all; otherwise, I suspect that that the cancellation of Enterprise would have been the end of it-permanently.

18. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

So basically keep rebooting Kirk and Company? In my opinion that would get boring real quick and would never bring the franchise forward. I know everyone always tries to compare that to James Bond but ST isn't James Bond its a completely different franchise and has way more characters to have to recast every time. No I think they will wither reboot the next franchise such as TNG or let it rest for a long time.

19. BeatleJWOL

So the options are (assuming they don't continue on with what they have):
    Reboot (and don't bring it forward)
    Return to the prime continuity (and REALLY don't bring it forward)
    or Retire?

20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Not if they want to make any money they won't.