Generations deleted scenes

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by los2188, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

I can vaguely remember the letter as well as an avid reader of said magazine many moons ago, I can't really remember what the response was though. I'm fairly certain it wasn't to the effect of "Yes, you are right, the scene was in the cinema and then removed", I think it may have been more of a vague "Hmm, we're not sure, does anyone else remember seeing this?" type response.

Watching back the scene of the saucer section getting obliterated during the destruction of Veridian III, there doesn't really look like there's time to cut away to the interior of the bridge: its only about 4 seconds long, so any cutaway would a) only be about a second long and b) would make a short scene into two incredibly shorter scenes.

A glance at the final draft of the script doesn't provide any clues either:
    So it wasn't scripted, but then neither was the shot of the Enterprise on the surface.

On a slightly related note, I never noticed until the Blu-ray that the shot where Picard and Soran fade away as they taken by the Nexus has a rather obvious (now) looking CGI Patrick Stewart.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

I wondered that too. How much time was there for a cutaway from the exterior shot to an interior shot and then back again. It was a really quick thing. The blast blowing by the ship--it's not like it was in slo-mo or anything where they could cut away and then go back.

Also, I may be mistaken on this, aren't there people standing on the hull when the blast hits?
    If other people had time to get outside, why would the bridge crew be hanging around the shattered bridge--more likely they'd be directing the evacualtion of the saucer.

3. Grant

4. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

Indeed, in fact the exterior shot itself is a cutaway as the shot changes from space (the planet disintegrating), then to the shot of the saucer section, and then back to the planet shot again. To have a third shot to be cutting to and then back out again wouldn't have worked IMO.

There are little people moving about on the hull and you see them get hit by the shockwave, always found that quite disturbing for some reason.

5. Grant

[/quote]

There are little people moving about on the hull and you see them get hit by the shockwave, always found that quite disturbing for some reason.[/QUOTE]

The reason I find it disturbing is because those people see it coming while those still inside do not.

Talk about an "Oh crap." moment.

Painless though, I suspect.

6. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Except they do exist. All of the scenes the OP mentioned (and more) are either on the internet or in the bonus features of the Collectors Edition DVD. Obviously these scenes weren't in the theatrical release. But maybe the OP saw an earlier version at a test screening or something. Generations probably had the most scenes that were almost in the film but weren't, out of all the Star Trek movies (usually a sign of a very troubled movie).

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Can we please knock off this "lying" crap? The OP has been very respectful for the most part and there's no reason to tar him with that word. If you believe he's mistaken, that's fine, but there's no evidence of "an intentional false statement" on his part, and it's unseemly to suggest otherwise.

8. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

I do appreciate the effort to calm things down a bit and not being so rude and dismissive. Ladies and gentlemen....ladies again cuz I love the ladies...I remember the shower scene and the torture scene VERY clearly because of the impression and subsequent comments made between my buddy and I regarding the scenes. I am willing to admit that I could be wrong about the emotional over-load concerning Data, but the comment was made between my friend and I about Data possibly thinking of his sexual encounter with Tasha Yar. The shower scene I know was there because again, it was one of those...ah ha moments regarding the 24th century. Also the torture scene I remember very clearly because of the Roots and Kunte Kinte comment made. I will say this...I can't speak on another other deleted scene. I can't speak of the Chekov mourning scene, the Lursa and B'tor discovery scene with Data being "concerned", nor any crashing scenes or alternative ending and Christmas at the Picards scene. Believe it, or not, but I am 100% certain I saw the 2 scenes as I've mentioned. Now let me ask you guys this... I never did see the Trek 09 in the movie theaters when it was out, but I do recall reading someone's post regarding that movie. He said that in the beginning of the movie after the Kelvin was destroyed, they had the Klingon takeover scene where the Klingons told the Narada to power down or be destroyed and that as soon as everyone in the movie theater heard Klingon's speaking Klingonese, the crowd clapped with pleasure because at that point "it seemed like a real Star Trek movie." So was that scene not ever in Trek 09?? The main point of all this post was to again pose the question if a deleted scene was considered canon because obviously these scenes show up, and then are gone depending on where you're watching it and how...

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

People claim to have seen lots of things that they haven't. Human memory is very faulty. Every time we remember something we rewrite it in our memory. It's like our brains play they own game of "telephone" and the story changes. So while I can't say what you did or didn't see, it's not surprising that people would be skeptical.

10. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Generations is the only TNG film I didn't see the work print of, sadly. I was with Paramount in NY for 15 years starting in 1996, and an intern there prior to that in the late 80's and early 90's. Also saw a work print for ST VI, incomplete with temp VFX (could see the rod holding the bird of prey as it flew past) and other shots just in story board phase.

The prints we screened for exhibitors for FC, INS and NEM were pretty final cut prints.

I won't debate the veracity of the OP, it's really no big deal either way to me. I will share a personal story though of how SOME print mishaps do occur.

When Truman show opened, my office received a call from Roger Ebert's office wondering why the credits for the film were in FRENCH! He screened it at a Manhattan theater that was part of my territory. In a matter of minutes I was able to track the print, and realized that the last reels of that print were from a Canadian print that should have been recalled and replaced. This one slipped through, making it on screen and in public. I had the reels replaced by the end of the day, but I'm sure there are a lot of confused people out there on why Peter Wier chose to put the credits in French.

11. Grant

But they DONT exist in FINISHED FORM. The OP states he saw both a tape of Nemesis shot in a theater (recently!) AND Generations in the theater in FINISHED form as well.

We know those deleted scenes did not have finished FX.

Lying? Who knows. Doesn't matter.
    Mistaken? For sure.

12. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I did have time the other day to look after all, and I looked at the letters page and Fistfull of Data feature for issues 10-30 (it's review if you can call it that was around issue 10) and see no mention of it at all.

The only mention of the movie release on VHS on the letters page was a reply to numerous complaints that it didn't come with collectors coins that had been suggested in an earlier mention.

So if it was in a magazine, I don't think it was Star Trek Monthly. Starburst perhaps?

13. Grant

This thread, ironically comes after I, in actual fact, was finally able to see the 'workprint' of TWOK at UCLA.

I don't feel special or want a pat on the back, but I do feel extremly lucky that after 30 years I was able to see almost all the deleted scenes from TWOK that I first read about in 1982.

It was the longest case of finally being able to 'scratch that itch' in my life.

Now it's only that Kim Basinger thing.

14. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The original poster has an illusion, and we have reality. May you find your way as pleasant.

15. Grant

Damn, that Menagarie dialogue holds up. If Cage/Menagarie was the ONLY Trek there was, it would still be impressive.

16. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Don't they? There is at least one cut scene from Nemesis that had completed fx in the trailer, but had only a green screen in the DVDs deleted scenes section. We don't know how many cut scenes were actually completed, but never officially appeared anywhere.

17. Grant

Absolutely correct. That deleted scene fragment was finished using the budget assigned for the promotion of the film, creating trailers and such.

It's in the bonus features section, but is only few second piece of the entire deleted scene that can be seen in its entirety in the deleted section.

The TWOK workprint I saw had NO finished FX.

18. Oso Blanco

Or maybe it was completely finished, but cut at the last second? I think all of the stuff we saw in the Nemesis trailer that never showed up in the movie was cut at the last minute ... I mean, why would they put all those scenes into the trailer when they already knew they would never actually be in the movie? There are probably more finished scenes cut from Nemesis than we know.

As for Generations, I don't know ... I guess it depends on which point in production it had been decided to cut those scenes.

19. Grant

Nearly every genre movie trailer I see has scenes that didn't make the final cut, that's not proof they were last minute cuts.

Anyway, the scene in question is fairly brief, the one with Picard/Data was 3 minutes long almost--no way they completed those FX and then dumped the scene. Budget was way to tight on TNG movies.

Anyway, what's your point, they did showed a completed Nemesis, FX and all in the theater?

"Fantasy, pure and simple." ------Hengist

20. Oso Blanco

I don't know that. It's highly unlikely, but not impossible that some preview version accidentally got out there ... who knows!

My point is that we have no idea how finished or unfinished any of the deleted scenes from Nemesis or any other Trek movie were. Sometimes unfinished scenes are being put into the deleted scenes section just to prevent people from editing them back into the movie on their own. Sometimes deleted scenes are deliberately reduced in quality for that purpose only.

Some of the scences that have been cut from Generations and Nemesis seem very much like last second cuts to me ... but that's of course pure speculation on my part. There are probably people around here who know better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.