Lord of the Rings deleted scenes not used in extended editions

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

It helps if you watch it with friends and add a theme to it. For example, eating /drinking whatever is on screen at the time. :D

2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My main dislike of the EE is that Denethor talks about the Ring, and Boromir and Faramir discuss it. That made Denethor look far worse than in the books (gotta love John Noble as Walter Bishop!).

Though, since Denethor was already corrupted by the palantir, he might've known about it. But that still is weak, since I doubt Sauron would've disclosed the power of the Ring to Denethor.

The EE was great in showing the timing of things, in a way the books could not do as easily:

That Sauron knows something is up in Gondor (the Ring/a weapon); that Sauron has likely heard of the dream regarding "halflings," so that when Pippin is glimpsed in the Orthanc's palantir--Sauron has good reason to fear. Especially if he hears news that the halflng is being taken to Gondor by Gandalf.

That Aragorn, knowing that Frodo is heading to Mordor by himself (well, mostly), knows that he must draw off both Saruman's and Sauron's attention--Helm's Deep.

That when Faramir reports that a halfling was with them, Aragorn takes the fight to Mordor's gates, to make sure Sauron is not looking within Mordor.

Stuff like that.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the FotR and TT EEs, but the RotK EE was a bit dull - too talky, too many scenes with minor characters, and too long (the theatrical is itself an epic!). My ideal trilogy is extended FotR and TT, theatrical RotK.

As for deleted scenes, they might be interesting, but hardly necessary.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The One Ring's power was hardly a secret, it's just that up until Frodo brought it to Rivendell most concerned parties believed it lost. Also don't forget that in the first film we see Galdalf in the archives of Minas Tirith, looking for Isildur's account of the ring. Who do you think gave him access in the first place? Denethor, of course.

5. Neroon

Still... it would have helped understand Denethor and made him a mite more sympathetic had we known what drove him so mad: the use of the palantir. Sauron's visions of hopelessness conveyed through it turned Denethor so inward and made him so insular.

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Denethor was always on the Fringe though. :techman:

7. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Lord of the Rings: The NeverEnding Edition. :p

8. Neroon

In a noble sort of way.

:lol: - but I know I'll be getting this mega-edition if and when it comes out.

BTW, there is another bit of speech from Elrond heard in the ROTK trailer, which has never appeared in the EE:
    "This is your test. Every path you have trod, through wilderness, through war, has led to this road."
    My guess is it would have been used at Dunharrow, when Elrond was trying to convince Aragorn he could use the help of the Grey Company, after which he gave him Anduril.

9. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The theatrical versions are also fine, though either version of the trilogy is physically exhausting to watch.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

If I were any good at film editing, I'd love to get my hands on some of the unused footage and create my own uber-fanedit of the entire trilogy.

11. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

Seph Films presents :the lord of the rings, 24 hour cut

12. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be up for a high def version of LOTR, even though I own every other ediition and as a cardinal rule I never double-dip. :lol:

This thread got me all excited, then I read on the wiki article that these un-used deleted scenes would probably be presented as just that: deleted scenes (as opposed to inserting them into a mega-extened cut.

One can hope, however.

13. propita

Wasn't there mention in the books' Epilogue that a young Denethor was very jealous of his father's attention to a "young" man who fought for Gondor--none other than Aragorn incognito (as Ecthelion?)?

They don't meet up in RoTK--Denethor's already gone by the time Aragorn gets to Gondor.

Regardless of all this, some mention of Prince Imrahil would've been sweet. Again, per the Epilogue, didn't Eomer marry Imrahil's daughter? Nice alliances by marriage here (Human/Elf--Aragorn/Arwen; Gondor/Rohan--Faramir/Eowyn; Rohan/Imrahil's-princedom--as mentioned; and I think Gondor/Imrahil's-princedom through Imrahil and his wife who was of Gondor). If I'm right about all this...why the hell do I remember this crap and not law school crap?!

14. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.

I'd love to see an uber-edition also, but as noted above, some of the scenes were deleted because of re-writes to the story so they wouldn't actually fit. But instead of just presenting them as a bunch of random scenes, I'd like to see them take the approach they did with the big BladeRunner set last year. One of the discs in the 4 and 5 disc sets has about 45 minutes of deleted scenes, but they're presented in their "proper" order (and some bits of actual movie scenes as bridges) and actually create what is essentially a condensed and alternate version of the movie. This would be really interesting to see with LOTR, like a giant "what if?" version with the different scenes and story bits.

15. Skywalker

Yep, except Aragorn's alias was Thorongil; Ecthelion was the name of Denethor's father.
    You are right, except that Imrahil's land, Dol Amroth, was a part of Gondor, one of the major parts in fact. Éomer married Imrahil's daughter, Lothíriel.

16. propita

Close...and yet I was so off the mark!

17. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know how y'all remember all the OTHER details.

Then again it has been awhile since I read the books.

One Saturday I watched all 3 EE movies back to back to back. That was exhausting. But a month later, I watched all 6 star wars movies in a row.

Horrible. I felt so dirty and horrible after that that I wanted to go to confession.

18. Skywalker

Well, from the end of 2001, after FOTR came out, to maybe late 2005 I was a big-time LOTR nerd and took in a lot of information about the books, Tolkien, and Middle-earth. I have a pretty good memory when it comes to things I read, especially if it's about something I really like, so I have a ton of LOTR knowledge stuck there in my head along with a ton of Star Wars knowledge. :lol:

19. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    I see this kind of thinking as the equivalent of the Doctor Who fans' response to him kissing a woman("Eeeeeewwwww grossssss.......the Doctor kissed a girl BLECCCHHHHH YUUUUCCCKKKK!!!!!!!!").

It smacks of immaturity and a lack of ability to empathize with the feelings and plight of others.

Fact is, at the heart of LOTR was a relationship(yes, a relationship, DEAL)between two men, forged over the most harrowing ordeal imaginable. In the end, they had those yucky, icky feelings for each other BECAUSE of the intense bond created during these events. The Bible talks of the LOVE(yes, LOVE, DEAL AGAIN)between King David and Johnathan being greater than any love either had felt for a woman.

A failure to comprehend this smacks of an inability to accept and face up to feelings and a gross immaturity and fankly, if you've never had such a friendship(I've had several that were entirely platonic and completely non-sexual), I severly pity you.

20. propita

I took "Philosophy of Tolkien" as an elective. The professor (actually a scholar of religion--he also taught "Literature of the Old Testament" and "Literature of the New Testament") was a huge fan--but proudly denied being able to speak any Elvish language.

Anyway, our "final" was: whoever wants to come to class and try to answer questions from a trivia book. Not graded. He read the question, "Who carved the Doors of Durin?" Easy! Narvi ("I, Narvi, carved this"). Prof's response: "How the hell did you know that?"

What's really said is that, just last night, Hubby said he had been watching some old tv show and that it had "Spock's wife." I asked, "T'Pring?" "Yeah, who was that?" "Arlene Martel?" "Yeah, I think so."

WHY DO I KNOW THAT?! I HONESTLY SHOULD NOT KNOW THAT!