DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I missed that. Thanks.

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh God she can see me. She can see everything.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Her and Dick's daughter from Kingdom Come was hotter....*runs away*

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't get any of the 52 books this week. Sticking with the 'Dark' titled books and there was no release there. So, due to some good WOM I went back and picked up Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.

It was a good read. Is SHADE new? I don't recall hearing about it before. As I read it I got the feeling that here Palmer either hasn't yet been Atom or perhaps not in some time. Anyone else think that? The book also had me thinking I was reading a spin-off of Mignola's B.P.R.D. with Frank the stand in for Hellboy. The team even had a stand-in for Abe. It was then crossed with Marvel's Legion with a vampire, werewolf and mummy. Those aren't' knocks just that the book felt like a type of mashup.

I did flip through Catwoman after all the hype of the last few pages. I guess I'm the only one who felt that was fairly tame and rushed. Starfire was looking hot over in Red Hood and until I saw it here wasn't aware of her "sexual convo" she had, I'm sure they will address her attitude about that later. Afterall of most characters I've seen from mainstream DCU this books leads seem to be "in name only" of their old DCU counterparts outside Jason whose ties to Batman's seemingly untouched history are intact.

Ready for Aquaman #1 next week.
    I also agree way up thread with whoever read Cloak&Dagger #2, that was a fun book this week also. FWIW, I also liked Heroes for Hire #12 this week but think that may be over. It felt cancelled even though I can't be sure.

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heroes for Hire is turning into Villains for Hire for a while.

6. Captain Craig

^^^^
    Villains for Hire, flip the script. I guess that comes with a new #1 then. Sounds like Thunderbolts the C-team then.
    I'll sit that out then. Thanks for the heads up.

7. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

SHADE was created by Grant Morrison for his Seven Soliders "event" thing a few years back. If I recall correctly, this is the first time it's really been used since then in a major capacity, except for the Freedom Fighters mini. And I'm pretty sure that Morrison wrote it as an homage to Mike Mignola, Hellboy and the BPRD.

8. Captain Craig

Thanks for the answer. Nice to know the BPRD homage was intentional and that I 'got it'. I never read Seven Soldiers or Freedom Fighters (the newer short lived series?).
    Since Marvel is ending Heroes for Hire and Dark Horse had licensing issues on their Valiant characters(4) relaunch I'll just reapply that into a books like Frankenstein and Resurrection Man for starters.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Good grief, that's overwritten.

"Well, Perry, do you remember that tenement fire where Superman used cold breath?"
    "Why yes I do, Lois, I seem to recall that he put it out rather quickly."

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

"I say old chap, Superman's powers have certainly progressed over the years!"

"yes, he has seen a lot of ACTION, seen a lot of ACTION I say".

12. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Was Resurrection Man good? I didn't read it. I know the "Dark" line has kind of been where it's at for me. Especially with Swamp Thing, Animal Man and Frankenstein. I'm also super excited for Justice League Dark. Kind of a stupid name, but I'm super interested in the characters and I trust Milligan with Constantine. Should be a good time.

13. Captain Craig

^^^^
    Re: Was Resurrection Man good?
    I thought it was. I liked how with this setup there is an implication that there is something special about Mitch's soul. That both sides are interested in obtaining it for some reason. My conclusion is perhaps other 'sides' could come into play. I think the book is ripe for a Zauriel appearance, a character I like, with the Heaven/Hell angle in play. Perhaps a Blue Devil appearnce as well, that would make the Shadowpact fan in my very happy. Hopefully some of the other board members will respond as well. I don't recall there being many comments on it when it came out two weeks ago for whatever reason.

I'm also going to get Justice League Dark. More out of curiosity. I did get the first 12 issues of Zatanna's last series so I have that as a draw also. Again, the Shadowpact fan in me wants to sample it cause JLD sounds like what they are giving us vs a Shadowpact #1.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looking forward to this one a lot. I imagine DC will get their last little wave of free promotion from the mainstream press next week.

"Action News," with that logo? Love it. :lol:

"McCoy" comes across in one panel as an O'Reilly clone.

It's not clear that Supes is all that much better known or trusted now than when he was a kid leaping buildings with a single bound (cute line, that). That's kinda nice. ;)

Looking at things from a contemporary perspective it's hard to imagine that a major news outlet, other than something like FOX News which has a specific political party line running through its coverage, would be a big cheerleader in Superman's corner or that of just about any of the other superheroes.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope it was one of the minis after Infinite Crisis that had redeveloped the Freedom Fighers after a concept by Grant Morrison. The execution was pretty horrendous since the writers didn't have Morrison's writing ability.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't think the Perez Superman was going to work.

Should have switched Cornell to Superman.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I like the "token" Spanish woman. "Madre dios! Perry did you see that?!"

And her name is Ms. Izquierdo?!

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has George Perez written anything before this? I only ask because I'm familiar with hi art work and I agree they should have given "Superman" to Paul Cornell.

19. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, he did a few issues on some no-name female character following COIE.

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Is Savage Hawkman getting the "complete reboot" treatment? Or is it going to be a "halfsy"? I can't tell by the description if the initial issue is going to be an origin story or not.

Yeah, it wasn't really that highly regarded and is mostly forgotten about by now. ;)