Bleeding orange and green...or what?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Nerys Ghemor, Aug 13, 2009.

1. ElScoob

ElScoob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly, before I came in, I was wondering if maybe the thread was about O'Brien. :D

--g

2. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

Good one! :bolian:

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha! I didn't even catch that!

I was thinking, of course, of the colors of the emblem of the Cardassian Union. ;)

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It does appear logical to me, sort of. These Progenitor folks supposedly began their galactic seeding program because they felt their own mortality catching up on them. They were lonely, they knew they'd go extinct one day, they wanted to leave a monument in form of some sort of offspring, and they didn't want this offspring to be as lonely as they had been.

Yet the offspring would also be mortal and eventually go extinct. So in order to keep the galaxy populated with the desired "humanoid monument", the Progenitors would have to program a succession of emergencies: a couple of thousand humanoid species emerge first, meet each other, perhaps fall in culturo-technological synch, vie for supremacy, and ultimately go extinct - and then a next batch emerges from previously humanoid-free biospheres and does the same.

The Progenitors began their program five billion years ago. There could have been quite a few cycles of humanoid cultures there, if a typical culture normally goes from humanoid through techno-humanoid to noncorporeal in a matter of tens of millennia at most...

No doubt the project would go astray at some point. But it makes sense that it would begin in an orderly fashion, with several dozens or hundreds of cycles of humanoids sticking to the original parameters - because the Progenitors programmed those parameters to be simple and universal, with few bells and whistles and very little in the way of variation. That the various species in the Trek 24th century are compatible is only a sign of good engineering - in the 24,000th century, the differences will probably be somewhat more severe, and the monument will start to crumble.

Timo Saloniemi

5. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Ah, yes the awe inspiring sigil of the Cardassian Union. Let's bask in its glory:
    [​IMG]

(I've got nothing else to contribute to this excellent discussion thus far, I just really like that symbol:))

6. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

*is basking*

(sorry, I've got nothing further to contribute either, though I am still following the discussion with interest).

7. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm enjoying it, too, and I do also enjoy the aforementioned symbol of the Glorious Cardassian Union, but I'm not sure I enjoy it for the same reason other people, possibly more normal people (possibly not ;) ) do. I mean, seriously...to me, that is an amazingly creepy symbol. I have been told that it's based on a manta ray, but it reminds me of two things, none all that "Glorious": a scorpion (I grew up in the desert and so I don't give venomous critters much of a thought, really, but scorpions are one of the critters that give me a serious case of the heebie-jeebies) and Darth Vader.

Yes, the Darth Vader - maybe this picture will explain why? Then again, maybe not...:)

[​IMG]

8. Deranged Nasat

:lol: No, no, I see it. Hang on...the Galor, basis of the Galor Banner, was a masked shadow warrior from mythology....OH MY GOD! DARTH VADER IS CARDASSIAN!!! (sorry, I'm in an excitable mood today...)

9. Thor Damar

The Cardassian sith?! If only...I have a mental image of dozens of Klingon troops being force chocked and Damar using a red lightsaber:devil:

(good catch DN, maybe the Cardassians were one of palpatine's extra galactic experiments, after all Darth Sidious was always hooded too...)

10. Nerys Ghemor

I think to me, the Union sigil gives the impression...of being WATCHED. And closely.

I agree with the resemblance to the manta ray, too.

11. Thor Damar

Yeah, it does look like it's frowning at you (which is kind of creepy and I suppose the point of the thing)

As an aside may I thank JK for describing us Cardassian fans as normal:bolian:

12. Deranged Nasat

Just out of interest, how does my analysis match with your own? :)

"The Galor Banner is the symbol of the Cardassian Union. It is named for the Galor, a semi-mythical warrior-king. The Galor was greatly respected among his people for leading his army of masked shadow-warriors to complete victory on numerous occasions. His prowess in battle was respected and feared across Cardassia, as was his dark power of “magic”. Of course, the fearsome, powerful military politician was an image greatly inspiring to the Central Command. It is an even more appropriate emblem when one considers the Galor was originally also a religious figure; Central Command exterminated followers of the Cardassian church in order to establish itself as the supreme moral authority; citizens of the Union were then encouraged to identify with the state in an almost religious manner. Note that the Galor’s “eyes” are always watching and judging.

The Galor Banner resembles the Galor standing upright, dressed in the traditional cloak and mask of several obscure religions from ancient Cardassia (now no longer recognized, see above). The figure is placing the symbolic mask upon his face, and he stands tall and straight, reflecting the ideals of strength and discipline. The Banner is not just one man, however; it also represents the Cardassian civilization as a whole, reminding those who view it that the ethical citizen lives only for the good of the state. The anatomy of the Galor thus corresponds to an abstract representation of Cardassian ideals. The “legs” are a pillar planted firmly in Cardassian soil, drawing strength up from the native land into the mask, while the cloak encompasses the sky, spreading the glory of Cardassia to the stars above. On one side of this widely-spread cloak/sky is a circular representation of the sun or moon- exactly which is no longer relevant, as the old moral binary of day and night has been replaced by the absolute morality of Central Command. On the other side is positioned a symbolic image of a weapon held under one arm. The cupped forearms placing the mask upon the face feature two layers, one inside the other, and are themselves “inside” the cloak, making three layers. This symbolizes the trinity of body, mind and soul; soul inside mind, mind inside body, all here dedicated to the greater good of Cardassia. The “legs” also feature three pieces, further reflecting the significance Cardassians place on that number."

13. Nerys Ghemor

"Glowering" or "glaring" are two words that come to my mind--it may not have a defined "face," but it sure has an expression.

As to the origin of the Union sigil, I personally have my own explanation for it in my fanfic universe...I see it as a stylized rendition of a predator animal that has been adopted as the symbol of the Union, much as the eagle is the symbol of the United States. (It is NOT the vole, of course--but it's interesting to note that if you look at a Cardassian vole, it has the same tail you see on the Union sigil. It's likely, given evolution, that other animals possess a similar tail.) I do not give it the name gălor, because in my version of the language, that is a word meaning "world," and is only used on the class of ship because such ships are capable of taking part in world-conquering campaigns.

14. Thor Damar

DN did you write that description of the Galor?

15. JustKate

Yes, these descriptions all work for me - watching, frowning, glowering, glaring. And it is, I'd say, definitely cloaked - that's where the resemblance to Vader comes, and besides, bad guys look really cool in cloak.

But the thing also...l-o-o-o-o-oms.

Don't you think? Or "bodes," maybe?

I believe my exact words were "possibly more normal." :lol:

16. Deranged Nasat

Yes, it's for my personal Star Trek encyclopedia-thing, which I write in my spare time to relax. I'm odd like that :lol:. I use canon, the 21st-century book continuity, occassionally fan fiction if the writer gives permission, and sometimes bits and bobs from elsewhere that don't contradict anything, to pull it together. Some of it's my own personal interpretation, of course. I like "decoding" the insignias and labels, so a lot of those are done already. It'll take me years, I know, but as its for personal enjoyment only- no rush!

17. Nerys Ghemor

JK--LOOMING...that's a great word for it!!!

18. Thor Damar

^ You see that (NG's theory) fits in with my recently formulated outlandish over the top theory of the creation of the Cardassian Union. It was a the product of a fiendishly intelligent masked stranger whose origins and motivations remained a mystery and who aided Tert Akleen in his struggles to unify the Cardassian peoples...

[​IMG]

19. JustKate

And who apparently shopped at the nearest Mysterious Masked Stranger Outlet?

Cool image, Thor.

20. Thor Damar

'Twas the power of Google.;)