How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2008.

1. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I've missed the last couple of episodes, so I there may be something I misssed, but there was a Halloween episode 10/31, and then 3 episodes to get us to Thanksgiving on 11/24. That doesn't leave a whole lot of room.

2. AliciaD496

AliciaD496 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From Barney's history we know he wouldn't object to a blended family, so even if it is Kevin's I doubt he'd mind co-parenting with Kevin and Robin if/when Barney and Robin end up together or if Kevin ends up out of the picture totally (somehow he doesn't seem the type to ditch a pregnant woman, but I doubt Kal Penn wants to sign on as a long term minor character either).

It's funny I was watching the episode on syndication last night and someone (Barney?) said Ted wouldn't make a good best man because he wouldn't be good enough to stop Punchy from panicking and backing out of the wedding or doing something else crazy (citing Marshall's hair shaving incident). In the end Ted saw Punchy through and reminded him why he was getting married. Robin then asks Ted to be her 'best man' if she ever gets married and do the same for her. It just seemed so blatantly foreshadowing to what we saw in the season premiere with "The bride needs to see you Ted" that I think it's Robin marrying Barney and that's where everything's headed. Of course with Nora gone now it was pretty obvious too.

Poor Ted...he'll be the only unmarried, childless one in the group. But at least he's going to meet his future wife at the wedding, right? It'd be nice to actually have the next two seasons show THEM dating and a lead up to a wedding for them as well. It seems like the show's wandered from Ted's story for a while so I hope he gets some progress soon.

3. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Hm, true, I forgot about Halloween. Got to be the boyfriend's kid then, unless Future Ted is misremembering the exact dates.

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

which happens a lot, as he admits...

5. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

Barney probably isn't the guy who is careless with protection, but if so, it can't be that strange for Robin to do a pregnancy test fairly soon, can it?

6. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

How long has this show had a laugh track? I'vve been watching foor seven seasons, and never noticed it until tonight. Maybe because it's not as intrusive as Big Bang Theory's.

7. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

How I Met Your Mother has always been a pre-recorded multi-camera setup to simulate the standard 3-camera format that most sitcoms use (except Scrubs). The taped episodes are then shown to a studio audience to capture the laughter. So its not a laugh track so much as its a post-episode live audience.

Big Bang Theory uses the traditional 3-camera format, but has a live studio audience.

I don't think shows use "laugh tracks" anymore.

8. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The show only has a year and a half left, and the wedding probably won't happen until at least the season finale. Or it could be next years series finale. We just don't know. I though, like you, would love to see Ted and the Mother date and then have the series finale be their wedding. He could meet her at the end of this season...

"And that kids....is how I met your mother. But that's not quite the end of the story yet..."

<kids groan>

9. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

You're assuming a lot here.

The show has a year and a half on the books now, but its ratings are higher than they've ever been. CBS will try to bring it back for more, I guess it just depends what Jason Segel, NPH, and Cobie Smulders demand to keep working (I'm assuming Hannigan and Radnor will have fewer people knocking on their doors).

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

How did Josh get in this mix?

It's almost like the [producers needed a lame duck to prop up in front of the camera so that the actual stars in the cast, more so than of the show wouldn't mean girls themselves into a coma.

11. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guy, I think you need to get some sleep.

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Update: Robin isn't pregnant, can't have kids and never does. It was a great fakeout episode with the kids we were supposed to believe were Robin and Barney's. It was an odd format too since the show is a story being told by Ted. Anyway, now we're back to wondering about the status of Robin and Barney. They might end up married with no kids or Barney might end up with someone else. I get the impression that when Barney does get married, it will have been a sudden decision.

14. tighr

They really threw us for a loop. I was shocked that they revealed in the first 30 seconds that Barney was the father of Robin's baby, but then everything returned to the status quo at the end.

I think Barney will still get back with Nora. He clearly wants kids.

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

That was a very good episode.. the first minute had me in stitches when she repeatedly punched out Barney but as it progressed and ended i was really sad for Robin. Even if she never wanted kids the fact she can't have them is still a sucker punch and the way it was written was so atypical of this rather light show that it stood out really well.. it was just heartbreaking.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory definately use laugh tracks, as the laughs are pretty much repeating.

17. Guy Gardener

There was a story a few weeks back where some one other than Bob Saggat was clearly narrating the story, and still the story cutaway into a scene of Teds kids spitaking after something ludicrous was said.

Very offputting and disjoint.

By the way...

Christmas or Chrismukkah?

Sleep is for the weak.

Dougie Howser, The dad from Full house, the lesbian witch from Buffy and the giant goof from Freaks and Geeks are playing second fiddle to the unnamed Tour Guide from Not Another Teen Movie 1.

Not because Josh is better than them, but because they know that they are better than he is, these "celebrities" can humour his odd placement in the pecking order. If the producers actually put a nine hundred watt Star front and centre instead of a 40 watt like Josh Radnor, the E! True Hollywood Story of How I Met Your Mother would play out like MacBeth.

18. tighr

Big Bang Theory definitely has a live studio audience:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LaughTrack
    http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2010/09/chuck-lorre-sans-laugh-track.html

If you wanted to, you could come out to LA and attend a taping to see for yourself. However, the criticism is common of his shows that the studio audience laughter is unnecessarily loud. And, FWIW, I don't even hear the laughter. Perhaps my brain is just tuned to ignore it.

19. tighr

You're forgetting that most of the supporting characters have more acting credits than he does... including the kids on the couch (Lyndsy Fonseca was in Kick-Ass, Desperate Housewives, and Young and the Restless; David Henrie has done a bunch of Disney channel stuff).

And that's literally one of Josh Radnor's ONLY film credits. And he was uncredited.

20. Guy Gardener

They filmed all of Lyndsay and David's stuff in the first year, so they're a nonissue.

Lyndsay is two feet taller, at least, on Nikita these days.

Kick Ass can't must have been filmed before the first Season of How met Your Mother?