Just seen the last episode... I'm outrage!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by eezo, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was the Brannon Braga comment, wasn't it? I take it back.

2. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I can't speak for the other die-hard TNG fans but if Riker needed a history lesson to make up his mind, there'd be something seriously wrong.

Good to know there is evidence it's all a made-up piece of holodeck propaganda. ;)

Bob

3. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Still, it would make much more sense if it took place in an alternate reality in which the Pegasus fiasco happened a decade later than in TNG, a reality in which Riker and Troi are still stuck on Enterprise D with Picard (for what ever reason).

Of course, that's the reality in which the entire season four of ENT never happened, so it's safe to assume that the timeline branching occurred when Archer WASN'T brought back in time to fight Vosk or something.

So, as logic would dictate, TATV was entirely Daniels' fault. :lol:

4. eezo

eezo Ensign Newbie

Wow, can't believe what I've started here..... oops!

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't worry, no one person is to blame for the tides.

6. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I see your Quark with breasts, and I raise you a...

[​IMG]

NEELIX. :barf:

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, DS9 certainly had it's clunkers and face palm moments. Little gremlins and Quark in drag are certainly two of the big ones.

But I'll take that knowing that hey at least DS9 was willing to take chances, and is making the effort as opposed to TNG sticking to the same formula, Voyager staying safe by not straying too far from it either, and ENT's first two seasons where things were just cheap imitations.

Yes, Neelix is the ultimate example of the annoying character. DS9 at least improved their annoying character when they realized the fans weren't liking Bashir. When confronted with the fans not liking Neelix, it's like Voyager's staff said... "Screw you! Here's -more- Neelix!" :p

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The last Enterprise episode was "Terra Prime". What you watched was a TNG episode (and a BAD one) made 11 years after TNG was cancelled, with money from the 'Enterprise' production budget.

I always thought they should just remove the episode from the ENT Season 4 Blu-Rays (Soon to be released); and tack in on as an 'extra' to people buying the Season 7 TNG Blu-Rays; as they're probably the ONLY group that might find something watchable in the episode considering how Riker focused it is (aside from his weight.) ;)

9. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Why would you limit the comparison to Ent's seasons 1 and 2? They may not have shown any imagination in those first two, but season 3 of Ent took as many "chances" as DS9 did in it's entire 7 season run.

In season 3 we saw the first season long arc based on a single mission, a Vulcan take drugs (and become addicted) because she simply wanted to, an "emotional" Vulcan High Command, crewmembers being ejected into space through holes in the hull during battle. And though we have seen starships damaged and even crash, I don't recall any sight in Trek more arresting than watching the NX-01 listing, nose over nacelles out of control, and spouting smoke as in Azati Prime.

Oh, and we got our first nude scene in Trek in Ent's season 3. We have never seen a Trek series do what Ent did with it's cold openings.

Season 4 brought us the first Mirror Universe episodes that did not include real universe characters. There are probably more that I have forgotten.

When it came to taking chances, Ent took a backseat to none of the other three spinoffs.

10. R. Star

Go back and read the sentence again. I said Enterprise's first two seasons were safe and predictable and thus bland and boring. I excluded seasons 3 and 4 because they at least tried something. Personally I think the Xindi arc had way too many filler episodes, wanted to facepalm at space Nazi's, thought the Romulan super remote ship was silly at best and let's not even go to TATV.. but they made the effort to do something and most of the series' good episodes came from those seasons. Sad thing was the damage was done and most people(myself included at the time of the original airing) had already given up on it in the first two seasons.

11. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I did. I don't know what you meant, but what you actually wrote compares all of DS9 and it's 7 seasons of "taking chances" to all of TNG, Voy, but inexplicably, only the first two seasons of Ent. Sounds like you're cherry picking to make DS9 look like the only one of the spins that took chances when in reality, Ent took more chances than any of the spins and TOS too for that matter. If you compare DS9 to all of Ent (as opposed to just the first two seasons), there is no way Ent could not be seen as at least as innovative as DS9 if not outright more innovative.
    Right, we know that now, but that's not what your "sentence" (nor the rest of your original post) stated. If it had, I wouldn't have felt the need to respond.
    Um yes, but what does any of this have to do with taking, or not taking chances (which is the subject at hand)? :)

12. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

FWIW I understood R. Star's meaning just fine. It was a contrast between DS9 and the other series. He didn't include the latter two seasons of ENT because he didn't consider them a contrast worth noting. I.e. while TNG, etc. did things one way, DS9 and later ENT didn't.

13. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Folks can say what they like about Enterprise, but ENT seasons 1 & 2 were stronger that both VOY and DS9 seasons 1 & 2. Especially DS9's.

14. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I couldn't disagree more, DS9s first 2 seasons had episodes like

Captive Pursuit
    Duet
    In the Hands of the Prophets
    The Homecoming
    The Circle
    The Siege
    Cardassians
    Necessary Evil
    Whispers
    Profit and Loss
    Blood Oath
    The Maquis two parter
    The Wire
    Crossover
    The Jem'Hadar

Which are all better then any ENT episode from the first 2 seasons. I would also say that VOYs

Phage
    Eye of the Needle
    Projections
    Meld
    Death Wish
    The Thaw

Are better then any ENT episode from the first 2 seasons.

15. R. Star

Yanks is entitled his opinion. I can't say I share it mind, and I also would really have a hard time picking an episode from the first two seasons of Enterprise that stood out. I guess the Andorian Incident was pretty good and I liked the minor bit of continuity between Minefield and Dead Stop.

16. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I can pick episodes from the first two seasons of ENT that I enjoyed, and by no means do I think DS9's first two seasons were epic television, but on balance I think early DS9 fared better than early ENT.

17. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I do think the first 2 seasons are pretty consistent but unfortunately they're consistently average, nothing really terrible but nothing really great either.

18. teacake

I was so enamored with being on a space station that the somewhat directionless first two seasons of DS9 were enchanting to me.

19. CommodoreDecker

CommodoreDecker Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The best episodes were In a Mirror Darkly....Or the episode where Archer is transported 400 years in the future to see the "Enterprise J ship" and told about the Temporal Wars and the Federation

20. teacake

I love the future, I wish we got to see the far distant future more often. Enough with all this cowboys and Victorian era sentiment. We saw the future in VOY's Relativity and ENT's Azati Prime. Did we see it any other time? The future as in purportedly mankind's future some centuries hence, not just a series of alternate realities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.