Refit Enterprise Interiors (WIP) - Unreal 3 Engine

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Mytran is correct. The angles of the radial corridor walls are different from those of the concentric corridors.

Rest assured, I used what schematics I could find when building the corridors. The angles are close to exact to what they were in the films.

2. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I'd never noticed the difference before, either.

So out of curiosity, have you rigged your corridors with the Red Alert tracer lights they added in Wrath of Khan?

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Please accept my apologies for being nitpicky. The floor texture in the "symetrical" corridor shows this 1970's popular PVC carpet the way we saw it in the movie.

The illumination angle in the circular corridor makes the protruding circles rather look like half-spheres popping up from the floor (it seems the light is coming from the innermost wall while in fact it's the opposite wall with the built-in floor lights).

Bob

4. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool! I hope you don't bind if I blag some of the pics for use as background in my post-TMP Youtube comic. It can be a pain to keep editing out wanted characters from the movie stills. :cardie:

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I always loved the TOS corridors better. These make sense higher on a saucer.

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I did too when I was a kid, until I realized they were way to big to be on a ship that size and were better suited to a Galaxy class than a Constitution. The corridors found on the refit, IMO, were a much more efficient and realistic use of internal space.

7. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm a little late to the party, but great work as usual!

I'm curious though, about your officer’s lounge,

I know from reading through http://rigel7studios.blogspot.com/ of the compromise you had to make between onscreen visuals and Shane Johnson’s and Andrew Probert’s blueprint versions of this area. I know you’ve done a ton of work and probably don’t won’t to redo anything, but I may have a (hopefully) helpful suggestion.

Are you familiar with Shane Johnson's revised blueprints he was working on a few years back? Although I unfortunately do not have any samples to show, I remember seeing some on the BBS a ways back (perhaps someone reading this can oblige?). I seem to recall that in this new version, he had essentially turned the O/L around so that the "view screens" backed up against the turbo shafts, leaving the opposite wall more or less open as in Probert’s original concept.

This, IMHO, seemed to be a clever stroke of genius; as this neatly ties everything together? Since we cannot tell from what we saw onscreen which way the O/L is oriented within the ship, either way is “Can:rolleyes:n” and the O/L fits within the available space limitations much better. Also we saw very little of the (mostly) invisible fourth wall of the O/L set in ST: TMP anyway, and what was visible (as in your superbly accurate rendition) was what appeared to be a series of smoky translucent panels suggesting the possibility that they might, in-universe, be fold-away or slide-away “privacy partitions” which can either remain closed when necessary or opened up to allow the full view of the lower lounge area with the windows overlooking the aft of the ship?

This all makes much more sense, to me at least, as I never (from an in-universe point of view) understood the logic of having view screens blocking such a spectacular view directly into space, as with the traditionaly assumed orientation of the officers lounge.

Anywho, just food for thought, do what you will with it, use it or ignore it, it’s all good. ;)

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  8. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Very nice suggestion! Unfortunately, at the moment I do not wish to go through the required painstaking process of making those changes, but if I ever decide to revisit the area, I most certainly will see how it turns out.

It took me a minute to mentally visualize the concept you described, but it does sound like it would work. I especially like the idea of the privacy partition.

Thanks for the suggestion, TIN_MAN!

Btw, it looks like I've yet again switched Enterprises and started a TOS Enterprise build with the Unreal3 engine. Will be posting a thread soon. I wish I didn't like to have multiple projects going on at once and would just focus on one, but it keeps me from getting bored.

9. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holy crap that's impressive!

10. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I'm outrageously curious. I liked your first TOS 3D graphics very much but with this Unreal3 engine tool they'll probably be even more realistic.

Bob

11. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey, just glad to help in any small way. And like everyone else, I'm looking forward to your new TOS build. :techman:

12. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Should be interesting! :)

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When we develop the technology to upload our consciousness into computers, this is what I want to be uploaded into. :)

15. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is amazing work! I'm very very impressed! If there were any way just to walk through the ship, visit the bridge, the lounge, engineering, sickbay, and maybe even crew quarters, and just walk around, that would be amazing! That's all I've ever wanted to do is just be able to walk around the entire Enterprise, and this is the best I've seen towards that.

16. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

Cool! This is awesome!

17. jangotrek

jangotrek Cadet Newbie

Great work as always!

18. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Extremele impressive.

But where's the bridge ? :)