arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Jan 9, 2013.

1. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

This year a friend got herself not only a new kitten but also a new laptop...

She told me the story about how she had to sit there in a rather uncomfortable position and google how to how to rotate her monitor output back to horizontal after the cat had jumped up onto the keyboard the first time.

Yesterday I had to set up her e-mail accounts (enter the servers into her client) and noticed that her touch-pad (?) didn't work... This time we didn't need to google it as her son remembered some Fn-combo that apparently was the one the kitten had struck :rommie:

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

That's the mouse generation (pun not intended!). They are used to work with only the mouse and forget that every software can also be run with key combinations. I work a lot with key-commands as they often are quicker than the mouse.
    I have a list of commands on my pinboard, just in case. And I recommend printing a list of the beep-codes. That's incredibly handy as often when you get an alarm-beep from your computer, it is not able anymore to go online and google the respective code's meaning. Btw, whoever came up with the beep code was a genius! The computer literally tells us what's wrong with it. They just need to introduce a new code for "cat sitting on the keyboard" :D

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ The computer just needs to bark. Then it would solve its own problem! :D

4. rhubarbodendron

LOL excellent idea! It's just a matter of seconds to exchange the error sound file with a bark.
    One of my friends did that with a public computer at his university - he recorded a sound file that said gravely "you fool!" and swapped it for the error beep. His fellow students almost jumped out of their skins when they used that particular PC :D

5. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

not exactly an aaaargh moment when people get them mixed up but a peeve enough

6. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

^Oh that's a pet peeve as well.

Can I join in on the rant against junk mail/spam? I keep getting mail from something called "Catholic Online". I'm a liberal Swede, you idiots.

7. rhubarbodendron

the catholic church appears to be rather desperate after all these scandals. (Btw, I spent 3 years in a catholic concentration ca... errr... boarding school and can wholeheartedly confirm the worst rumous you might have heard about such institutions. Need I mention that I left that church the moment I turned 18?)

I'd recommend writing back that you are an Ayatollah, but with the current hystery against muslims that might get you into trouble.

Frankly, I find it rather shocking that in the 21st century, the age of space-travel, science and computers, there are people who believe in an invisible guy living in the clouds (might be a trifle wet) influencing their lives. You could just as well believe in a witch living in a gingerbread house (she certainly would have to be a deity to manage to keep the ants away).

8. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I lost it an one point and actually did write back with a proper reply to inform that "boy, do you have the wrong guy". But to no avail, no reaction and I keep getting the shit. At least my spam filters make it so I can just delete them with the click of a button.

9. rhubarbodendron

I guess stubborness and a massive denial of reality is required for a superstition to survive 2 milennia.
    I had a Jehova's Witness prob a few years ago which was rather easy to solve in comparism. They take the bible literally. I pointed out to them that the bible says god created man as his exact copy. And it explicitly says man was naked. Hence we can safely conclude that god wears no clothes. - I never saw a JW anymore :D

10. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

11. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

A rant thread? How wonderful. Not that I have much to rant about at the moment. It's quite petty really, nothing major. Maybe if I leave it another day or two I shall explode?!!!

12. rhubarbodendron

Feel free to explode any time :)
    We also offer shoulders to cry on, sympathetic slaps on the back, hugs and general comfort. :D

13. B.J.

One from my wife yesterday:
    She's a high school teacher, and yesterday morning the PTA brought in chicken biscuits for all the teachers. Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, so she couldn't eat any meat.

14. rhubarbodendron

Does she take religious customs so serious? The bible says nowhere that you are supposed to not eat any meat on Ash Wednesday. That's an interpretation that was started much later (and in a time where peole didn't have much to eat and would eat meat only once a week anyway).
    Also, Jesus himself got attacked by Jewish conservatives because he violated the Sabbath customs. Isn't that a sign that he didn't think such customs and rites important?
    IMO what counts is to be a good person, not to stick slave-like to some rather dusty rules.

How about taking her out tonight to a really nice chicken restaurant? :)

15. B.J.

I'd say most Catholics who go to church regularly adhere to the no meat Fridays during Lent, which also includes Ash Wednesday. Your opinion of those customs and why they are there makes no difference.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Finally catching a cold after being surrounded by sick people all winter! arghhh!

17. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Well, the Catholic Church considers aligator and beaver "fish", so she could eat those instead.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  18. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Why I didn't read this thread last night ... I could ranted about many things, but choose not to. Anyways for now I keep them in my head.

19. rhubarbodendron

Don't worry, the next arrrgh moment is only a few days away, usually ;)
    But the good thing is that you resisted it for quite some time. Much longer than the others.

Today's arrgh over here: the heating at ym office went down some time last night. Fortunately, we have only very mild frost so that the pipes won't burst. And on Fridays we work only till noon anyway. Fortunately, my plants can stand low temperatures

20. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

^ Very true. I'm little annoyed at myself for failing my first assignment with cisco. Got to resit the quiz next week. Must get over 80% to pass (got 69%). Know where I went wrong, and planning on making some notes over the weekend.