The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since we have 55 pages on this thread…could we consider having a Season 2 , part 2 thread?

We could start it off with a re-cap:

Previously, on the Walking Dead Season 2 thread…

Debates and theories and opinions abounded.

Some were adamant that Herschel’s behavior made some kind of sense, while many others just thought he was crazy and would’ve shot him, or at least did a coup of the farm.

Temis admitted she would act like Shane if she were in the current situation.

Morpheus 02 came up with the idea that there’s a zombie virus that does the resurrection, but there’s also a bacteria in the zombie bites that slowly kills its victims.

Gotham Central Came up with a better idea: nanobots are the cause of this worldwide zombie epidemic.

And we complained about the search for Sophia until we saw her demise. Then at least some of else felt it was worth it.

Oh yeah. And everybody loves Darryl. Andrea, well not so much after she shot him.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? It's still season 2 other threads go for longer, TV and movie both.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it'll probably be a little confusing have two season 2 topics...

Do you think a season 3 topic should be started eventually?

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Yeah, for sure. At some point details and/or casting will happen for S3 just as what happened for S2. People will no doubt want a few weeks to talk about the wrap up of the season. When news of S3 breaks, rumors, casting that is when someone should start a S3 thread, imo.
    I for one have a friend who DVR's the episodes and he and I only get together about every 6 or so weeks so in my case the season may be over by the time I chime in on S2. This thread is where I'd want to do that.

6. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I appreciate how candid he was there. I wasn't the biggest fan of the first half of this season, but I respect it a lot more now I've read his persepctive on it.

7. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Thanks for linking that. I saw a tweet about it yesterday, but didn't have a chance to read it and forgot to look for it later.

In addition to what others have said, page count isn't a great determining factor anyway. The thread is only 21 pages for me.

8. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally caught up with this. I was holding off since I was already up to date with the comics but I ran out of stuff to watch.

For people saying Sophia being in the barn was obvious. For me, as a comic reader it was totally not. In the comics she
    is still alive as of issue 93
    , so I totally didn't see it coming since they were following pretty close up to this point on the mortality of the regular characters. I was expecting them to use her as a lead in to one of the other locations that they find later in the series. I suspect that they expected people to have heard to read the books to know she isn't supposed to die and threw a curve ball. Even though the show has done it's own thing, now pretty much everything is off the table and people who have read the comics can't expect to know what's going to happen. I thought it was a great idea and well done.

As far as the zombie science goes, and particularly the cracked article, we can't know. There are lots of assumptions made by people on the nature of the zombies. First and foremost that all the flesh is dead and decaying. But as far as we know the virus itself could be protecting the zombies from both decay and bugs and the cold through some sort of metabolism. (There's zombie short story called Americanski Dead at the Moscow Morgue where where the zombification process is handled like this where it's too cold for them to move, but then these zombies just like queing for lines.) You could even take the extraordinary step and solve the problem of closed energy systems by saying the virus is converting sunlight in to limited energy. It could be something as simple as a parasite that pares down all nonessential body processes to keep it's hosts moving in order to spread itself better. Viruses can alter DNA and parasites can hack insect brains to do their bidding. Who even knows if the zombies actually will go on forever right? In 28 days later the non-zombies all died out once their nutrients ran out.

But beyond that, all this really is is making midichlorians. It's like people these day's can't stand to just have zombies or vampires. There needs to be some BS pseudo science explanation for everything because people are so afraid to approach anything that even hints at mysticism or faith. Lol, it's like the mirror version of homo-phobia. "Eww, what... not scientifically explained?! Gross! What are you calling me an evangelical?! Man I burn bibles for fun! I have a tattoo of Jesus wearing a sombrero man, don't be calling me no god-lover." In the end all it's doing is creating lots of stupid ideas about science like above. Shit, sometimes the dead just rise and try to eat your flesh.

9. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

New episode premieres tonight:bolian:

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

There's no more room in Hell. :shrug:

11. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

so excited I found this thread squeee!

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

That hiatus went by pretty fast.

Slow episode, but it picked up towards the end. I forgot that there's a bigger threat out there than zombies.

13. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Those two guys were stupid. They made their intentions as obvious as they could without being immediately aggressive (they might have done better trying to take the trio hostage outright).

Our heroes should've said they were camped with RV's somewhere with a helluva lot of armed people...instead of letting their bad poker faces give away the farm.

Glenn isn't the best back-up. He's lover, not a fighter.

Lori is retarded. But that's been established.

So was Beth scratched by her dead mom?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  14. wissaboo

has the virus gone airborne?

15. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Wow. Rick shot them. :eek: Mr. Sensitive goes Alpha Male. No matter. Rick is scrumptious in any context. Zombies think so, too. ;) In a court of law he'd be convicted of murder, but you sensed they were dangerous. Interesting territory here. Of course the alpha male j*****f Shane lovers and defenders at my other board will opine that this is tantamount to Shane offing Otis, but it's anything but.

I've tried to defend her, but Lori really is getting on my last nerve. I think it's the actress more than the writing. She doesn't elicit as much sympathy as a character in her situation should. It's not that I can't forgive the character for sleeping with someone other than her husband when she thought he was dead....it's just that she doesn't seem to do anything constructive at all. Not everyone has trained survival skills or firearm skills.....but she doesn't even cook or do laundry or even offer to help with anything at all. Pregnant or not, she could dig or help move bodies. Sit with Carol in the RV and try to comfort her. Anything. Why did she need to go after Rick?

That was Rene from True Blood that Rick killed, right?

16. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

Blegh, dumb episode. The writing on the show was just ok before, but in this episode it was extra bad. People seemed to be doing things very much for the plot, rather than what logically a person like that would do. I dunno, everything in the aftermath of the barn massacre felt wrong to me for the characters. The showdown at the saloon was well done at least. God, Laurie... why are you so useless? I hope they shock everyone next week by just having her die.

17. wissaboo

I watched the bar fight again and the guy behind the bar had a gun aimed at Rick when he shot him. It was self defense.

I totally agree about Lori though. I don't like the actress and I suspect that is part of it. But I think the actresses playing her and Andrea should have been reversed. I really think in order to play Lori an actress needs to have a bit of softness, a bit of southern belle. I just don't buy the actress as the base of a love triangle.

18. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

I agree that the first kill in the bar was clean for sure, but I don't recall if the second guy was actually taking bead on Rick with his shotgun or not.

Speaking of the bar fight, where was Glens shotgun the whole time ? the two newcomers seemed way more confident in their position then they should of been by my math ( 2 vs 3 bodies, even if Hershel was drunk ; each side has a pistol and a shotgun ) yet they were acting like they had the upper hand.

Interesting observation about Lori, I hadn't really thought about it but she is more annoying then sympathetic. I liked her more in the comics for sure, even though her actions were a bit more grey.

-Kytee

19. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

It is interesting to speculate on zombie science, but I also think it is mostly useless. In most of the zombie stories there is little chance it would infect 95% of the population; you usually have t be bitten/scratched and it effects you fairly quickly.

20. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

The fat guy went for his gun, but was as slow as he was gross and stupid.

Glen was totaly unprepared. Not a great moment for him.

I'm wondering about these wandering douche bags who got that far into the boonies but never found any place to hold up for long. Either they are lazy or incompetent or just stupid thugs.

That said, I didn't buy Rick's reasons for sticking around the farm. There's no place else!....There's no place they could clean up. No other farms with wells? Generators they could find/loot? Bullcrap.