Project: Potemkin, a Star Trek Fan Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Potemkin_Prod, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Congratulations to the cast and crew of

Star Trek ~ Project: Potemkin "Command Decision" S02-G
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjorZxnNZCU[/yt]

and

Star Trek ~ Project: Potemkin "Holding Pattern" S03-A
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bhRE47Vdks[/yt]

Both short films were nominated for 2015 Treklanta Independent Star Trek Fan Film Awards for Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form.

2. Potemkin_Prod

An Interview with Some of the Cast and Crew
    Conducted by Zant Bellringer of the Warped Space SciFi Club

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=21&v=7YcuJOeOCi8[/yt]

3. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

Out of curiosity, with the move is the new space you have for the sets bigger or smaller? I'm sure it has been said someplace already.

4. Potemkin_Prod

The new space is well more than twice as wide as the space we've used for the past two years. The depth is 1' 8" shorter, but we're going with slightly different width and depth and height on the control consoles. We're also hoping to incorporate some of what we've learned in terms of camera angles to make it appear larger, but that remains to be seen.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Are you using a camera with a fixed lens to shoot these sets? Because lens choice will do a lot in terms of how big or small a set feels.

6. Potemkin_Prod

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Yeah, that's a fixed lens, which is too bad. For small sets you ideally want the option of a wide-angle lens.

As to the audio, are you recording it on the camera? I am hoping you're using second sound for these, because camera audio is rarely any good.

8. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I agree with Maurice about camera sound. If you can figure out which off camera sound system to go with you might find a used one on Ebay. Maurice, do you have any suggestions for something decent that wouldn't break the bank?

9. Potemkin_Prod

We've been using a second source (TASCAM 40) since 6 months ago, but we still have 7 episodes left with audio recorded through the camera before we start to hear the results of the TASCAM, if that even works. Most people don't realize we film about 12 months before the release of an episode. Each receives about 4-7 weeks in post production, usually beginning 8 weeks before its release.

Right now, I'm working on panel animations for 89 shots (that's about 5-6 panels animated per shot) in THIRD WATCH which will be released at the end of April at the soonest, or more probably May. Chris will be working on the space-based VFX (16 shots, iirc), opening credits. I'll work on the closing credits, and them I'll turn it over to Rick for final tweaking (color correction, etc.)

We plan to replace the camera, but it's got three more years at least before that'll happen.

10. Trek Cruiser

Trek Cruiser Ensign Red Shirt

It was great meeting you guys at TrekLanta this past weekend. You've got a great team!

11. Potemkin_Prod

Thanks, TC! I think they're the best!

12. Potemkin_Prod

In April, we released two episodes at Treklanta, but while "Ladies Night Out" is practically ready for release, the events in the episode force us to withhold its release until September. "Room Service" is also practically ready for release, but events in the episode force us to withhold its release until April 2016.

That being said, there will be no Internet release for April or May (since we devoted a great deal of time and resources to complete those two releases for the convention).

However, starting again in June, we will be releasing on a monthly schedule:

Jun "Third Watch"
    July "Do No Harm"
    Aug "Battlecruiser Kupok: Battle of Alawanir"
    Sep "Ladies Night Out" & "The Last Child"

Oct "The Talinar Incident"
    Nov "The Hunt"
    Dec "All in a Day's Work"

Jan "Callie"
    Feb "Inquiry"
    Mar "Ananke" (Series Finale)

Apr "Room Service"

Note: We still need to film the bungalow scenes for "Callie" and the vignette "Inquiry." We also need the "crash landing scenes" for "Ananke" which all cast and crew were invited to provide for the episode. I will be in touch with appropriate cast and crew for "Callie" and "Inquiry." I've explained to everyone what's needed; use your cell phone video features for the "Ananke" (Series Finale) scenes. Let me know if you have any questions!

Filming for "Starship Tristan" and "Starship Deimos" will begin once we complete construction of the bridge set, which I'm estimating to take another 12-16 weeks. I'm hoping to release of the first episode of each if these series at next year's Treklanta, assuming we're invited to attend.

That's all for now. We've a year to go on Project: Potemkin. Fasten your safety belts; it's gonna be a heckuva ride!

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  13. Potemkin_Prod

Please be advised that we're now transitioning to a new website:

www.potemkinpictures.com

and our email address has changed as well.

Our thanks to Michael Day for his hard work on bringing a new vision to our website!

14. Potemkin_Prod

Just a little promo for an upcoming project:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYAuA2QiSQk[/yt]

Our pilot episode, "Battle of Alawanir," is scheduled for release in August. We hope to film another episode or two this fall.

15. Potemkin_Prod

We missed our June deadline for "Third Mission," but we're going to look and see if we can double-up a couple of episodes.

16. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Third Watch was great. You moved, you did a lot of stuff.

17. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Maybe you should have called it "The Potemkin Redemption"! :)

Nice work!

18. Potemkin_Prod

19. Potemkin_Prod

Chris Cameron is now at work on editing the series finale for Project Potemkin. However, a reminder to ALL cast and crew: I need your personal footage shots for inclusion into the episode. Without revealing what these shots are, please let me know if you have any questions, and I'll answer them.

Chris Kroznuski is at work on the VFX shots for "The Last Child." Mark Berge is at work on the VFX shots for "Battlecruiser Kupok." Rick Foxx is at work on the finishing touches for "Do No Harm."

In addition to working on the sets, I'm working on the final tweaks to "Battlecruiser Kupok."

As far as fourth season episodes, Bill Mackenzie is working on "Inquiry." We have rough cuts of "The Talinar Incident" and "All in a Day's Work." I plan on having "The Hunt" edited soon.

Finally, set construction continues on Studio 3A. We're about six weeks out from being finished!

20. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam