Superman, Red K & Batman?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I was wondering if Superman was on red Kryptonite...would he be more like Batman in attitude?

Or would Superman...not be a hero at all???

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anything's possible. Red Kryptonite has completely random effects on Superman. There's no way to predict what each piece will do to him.

3. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

I'm guessing he's asking about the crappy Smallville version of Red Kryptonite, which basically turns Clark into a selfish asshole each and every time he's exposed.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah Checkmate's got it right with regards to the Smallville version of Red K. It essentially turns Clark into a punk ass. I'm curious though as to what Jetfire means regarding Batman's attitude? What specifically about Bruce? The way he deals with things as opposed to Clark?

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Bats puts the fear of, well, Batman in to his enemies but he doesn't really do much that Superman wouldn't do. That's why Superman trusts him with the ring.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Doesn't really make much sense, in-universe. It's supposed to release his inhibitions, and basically make him do whatever he wants, right? Which, in Smallville, turns the whiny angst up to 11, and makes him a super-dick.

Actual SUPERMAN, however, isn't exactly portrayed as a guy fighting his inner demons for control. Nor is he Spock wrestling with emotions. The guy is just a boy scout, super-do-good'er, so releasing his inhibitions really shouldn't make much difference, since he's a mid-western, mild-mannered, aw shucks kinda guy anyway...

Batman clearly has a few inner demons, so letting HIM cut wild would result in a blood bath. :techman:

7. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Admiral Young & Hermiod...

Batman does put the fear of...Batman into criminals...was thinking Superman on red K would put the fear of God into them. I was thinking the whole Clark Kent persona would vanish and all there would be is Superman.

Plus Clark on Smallville had lots of issues in season 2 on red K...that made him seem like a jerk...in season 6...still a jerk but the only issue he was dealing with was Lana & Lex getting married. I am thinking Superman on red K would have more attitude.

Scout101 I am not saying he would be unleashing his inner demons...to say Superman is just a good ol' boy robot...which is what I'm getting from your comments is not correct.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I disagree, which I guess makes you just as wrong? Where are you seeing all of this dark side of Superman, other than occasional shoddy writing to fit a plot? Not a robot, and may have moments of doubt when in gray areas, but pretty much without fail, he's the 'shining example of all that's good' and all that. Truth, Justice, and the American way, etc.

You can easily see Batman going off the rails into Punisher-like territory, but where do you get that inner quality from Superman that would get unleashed like that? Smallville isn't exactly a good example to use, as the writing there is often piss-poor, and it's tough to even reconcile Clark there with Superman. And even there, Clark is always rigid with his moral compass unless the plot calls for him to do something different...

9. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Superman does have inhibitions. He won't kill people who've really made him angry, for example. He also won't conquer the world for the greater good. Superman without inhibitions is basically Justice Lords Superman. He won't kill unnecessarily, but he won't have many qualms with brain surgery. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of opinion.

10. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Any one can be wrong here...with various takes on a character that has been around since the late 1930's...just one general view on this character isn't enough. Is the All American Big Blue Boy Scout the general view of Superman? yes, I can admit to that.

11. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

The problem in Smallville is that Red Kryptonite doesn't just ditch his inhibitations. It turns him into a selfish asshole who only cares about his own pleasure. He is in no way, shape, or form a hero on Red Kryptonite. At best, he'd kill off some criminals who were trying to rob a bank when he showed up to do the same thing.

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    Well according to Kryptonsite Episode #9-18: "Upgrade" April 16, 2010

Will involve red Kryptonite. We'll see how that turns out. :lol:

13. The Comedian

The Comedian Captain Captain

In the Elseworlds comic "Speeding Bullets", baby Kal-El is found by the Waynes and named Bruce.

When the Waynes are gunned down, young Bruce vaporizes the shooter with a blast of heat vision. Eventually we end up with a Batman, with a bad attitude, with Kryptonian powers.

Now talk about scary...

14. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Kind of like how he behaved during the Silver Age? :D

15. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As I read this thread, I was thinking that very same thing!
    (shiver)

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm. Well I've never seen Smallville so I can only mention the comics version. :shrug: