Smallville 9x01 "Savior" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Sep 25, 2009.

?

Grade "Savior"

1. SUPERMAN (Excellent)

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Red-Blue Blur (Above Average)

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. CLARK KENT (Average)

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  4. Kal (Below Average)

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. BIZARRO (Poor)

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Army green and dog tags? Really?

2. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

That bugged me as well, so they are from Kandor/Krypton, and wear the same uniforms our current military wears? Yeah, a little off there.

Overall this episode surprised me, it was actually better than I had thought it would be. IMO this series is way past its prime, but I think it is slowwwwwwwwwwwwly building up to what we all think of when we think of Superman. Maybe, just maybe, Clark really is embracing who he is, this time. Maybe this is the season where it all changes, and I do hope so. It certainly looks like things are off to a good start.

The Zod stuff it seems is something they are building for this year. Lois went exactly 1 year into the future, and the girl came back 1 year from the future, and apparently the world is going to end in 1 year, which is the same length as one TV season. So it seems that whatever is going to happen with all of this will be handled this season, and it will be drug out throughout this season as the main story line. So I'm interested to see where they go with it all.

I give it Red-Blue Blur

3. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Underwhelming.

Chloe-mat: "Bring back Jimmy, so he can be the real Jimmy not his kid brother."

Brooder-Man: "No. I messed with time travel before and it led to the loss of all characters over 40 on the show!"

Lois: "The red-blue-blur confides in me."

Chloe-mat: "Really, Clar...he did?"

Zod: "KNNNEEEEEEL BEFORE ZOD!"

Blackguy: "That's gay!"

Tess Luthor: "Am I good or bad...I can't remember?"

Ollie Queen: "Why was I even in this episode?"

B.A.G.: "The name's VILLAIN, RECURRING VILLAIN."

Lois: "That's an odd name."

4. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

BTW, nice touch with the date of the episode being today's date, September 25th.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I especially liked how the previous day's newspaper (from the train) also said Friday, 9/25. Apparently Gary Hobson lives in Metropolis these days...

6. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

The tags were a recurring thing, as I seem to recall one with the crest of El on it before. However, I thought that Zod (and thusly the rest of them) showed up sans clothes. So I can see them gravitating to army surplus wardrobe here. Making due with what is around them and all that. Lex likely had stores of all that stuff there at the mansion, and Armani wasn't really their style, so they went the comfort/function route.

It also appears that these Kryptonians are clones that were created at the end of last season. The orb likely held the blood samples one of them mentioned was the last thing they remembered giving. And their memories were recorded there as well, maybe in the fractal shape of the orb itself. They mentioned they were on their way to battle in Kandor. So I am assuming the orb was Jor-El's emergency back up file of Krypton's military elite, taken from some time before Zod turned against the ruling Science Council of Krypton. So they are effectively newborns, and they don't have their powers yet for the same reason that Clark didn't when he was young. They haven't soaked up enough energy yet.

This episode felt more like a teaser for things to come all season rather than an actual episode. BAG should have been saved for next week and Metallo another week or two after that. I feel like we were denied a good dramatic reunion of Chloe and Lois at the hospital. Chloe should have been able to tell her about Jimmy and allowed the two cousins to commiserate a bit there over his loss. The Kryptonian woman from next year could have attacked Lois in the hospital as well, instead of shoehorning Ollie into the episode for no real reason. Dr. Hamilton explained his absence sufficiently enough.

All in all, a good opening but it was feeling a tad bit rushed and in need of a bit more detailing.

7. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

^ those explanations make a lot sense

8. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    I missed the beginning, so I don't get what happened to Tess. Did the de-powered Kryptonians, Zod's minions, kick her ass? BTW, I like what Clark's wearing -- looks like a cross of the clone Superboy's outfits (jacket/t-shirt with S logo). It also is reminiscent of Jor-El's black Kryptonian outfit from Superman: The Movie. It seems like this Zod has no memory of when he took over Lex's body. It should be interesting to see what havoc the advanced Kryptonians can wreak even without their powers. Better than I thought it would be, although I still wish they'd bring in Darkseid. And of course, there's the mystery of the Kryptonian ninja woman. -- RR

9. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Not really, she is part of Zods army as they showed, apparently Clark betrays them or something, and she was pissed and wanted to off his head. Nothing really special there, other than she had his dads watch, so maybe they become close or something, or maybe she killed him in the future, heh.

10. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Oh, OK. I missed the first 10 minutes -- was whipping up some dinner and didn't heed the time. Thanks for the clarification.

A few of you mentioned that maybe Clark should change his look to distinguish himself from his real self. Since his outfit is kind of Superboy inspired, he could adopt the sunglasses/visor bit the clone Superboy did. But that would make him look more like Neo for sure!

And since we've seen him an an outfit inspired by Jor-El's black one in Superman: The Movie, I hope we get to see him in an all-white outfit with a black "S," again, like Jor-El's other movie outfit.

Perhaps he'll move to the red-and-blue color scheme with this particular outfit.

Red Ranger

11. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

As I noted in my prior post, this appears to be a duplicate of Zod taken before the battle of Kandor, before he became General Zod, betrayed the Science Council and was banished to the Phantom Zone. So this Zod isn't necessarily a villain (nor the Zod that possessed Lex), and aside from taking Tess prisoner for a few weeks, neither are the other ones. Merely loyal Kryptonians from the military caste plopped down into a foreign land without warning and looking for a few answers. It should be interesting when Clark crosses their path and they find out a member of the Science caste and son of Councilor Jor-El is here with them, not to mention if they find the Fortress.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

kal can't even get the end around on the voice control options. These guys can access the manual controls, push buttons and twiddle nobs, purge Jor-El and upload their own AI not that that's ever a good idea.

I'm assuming that the fatigues is just stuff they picked up on earth after three weeks going native... hell, being clones they all tuned up naked or in birthing suits that didn't have zippers to pee out of.

Surely they should have gone through lex's wardrobes first before they bulk ordered online from K-mart?

Wait? Is Zod or Clark the titular character for this episode?

13. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Lois' "flash forward" showed Clark and the Kryptonian having sex and embracing romantically.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Outstanding episode. Just watched it. Best premire season season five IMO. The Dagman pretty much theorized the questions that I was going to ask. The only thing though is that the woman mentions the Battle at Kandor...perhaps this is the Battle against Brainiac that is mentioned in Superman: Brainiac where Kandor is taken. Or another battle just for Smallville that we don't know about it. Erica and Allison were especially hot in this episode. I'm loving the Crest of El. I really want a score to be released this year....hope they make it happen. Callum Blue is impressing me as a younger Zod.who hasn't yet rebelled against the Science Council. They didn't expain Jor-El talking to Clark all of a sudden like I thought they wouldn't. Remember that Clark said that he stopped talking to him when Brainiac had corrupted the fortress last season. I'm curious as to when the simulcrum was restored. I'm also curiuos about Aria (that is who the woman was who attacked Lois and Clark from the future) she seemed intimate towards Clark with her hand gesture. So far like usual we're off with a bang....hopefully we can sustain the momentum so far. Brian Austen Green is bad ass as Corben, can't wait to see his downfall and transformation into Metallo, and Gaeta Hamiton is awesome. Loved seeing Watchtower brought online. Chloe should have expected that Clark would say no to her request. She needs to deal with her mistake. The Lois dream sequence was REALLY intriguing indeed. Didn't like seeing Chloe unconscience though. Seems like there is actually a plan for this season...

15. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Hmm let me guess. Kal befriends Zod and tries to make him change his future ways but while in the fortress Zod finds what happens to Krypton and blames Jor-el and seeks vengeance on his son until banished into the phantom zone where the old zod spirit can inhabit the young zod clone.

16. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great take on it Dagman. It helped make some sense of a very muddled season opener. I think it was too jumbled, with too many plotlines all thrown together. I hope that Zod is an earlier, cloned version of General Zod, like Dagman theorized, because it'll suck if he's supposed to be Zod's son, which would minimize to some extent the importance of Davis, and it would make me wonder why they didn't just hire the dude to play Zod at the end of Season 5 instead of doing the Lex-Zod thing (which I hated). Anyway, I think the Zod thing could've waited until the second episode. There was enough stuff going on with the intro of Corben, the mysterious assassin, and Lois bringing Ollie back into the fold. Not to mention "Punisher" Clark.

I hope they change the "S" red in future episodes, like a poster had suggested in another thread. I also liked the sunglasses or visor idea previously mentioned. From the episode 2 preview I can tell they are rushing the Metallo thing too. I liked Brian Austin Green and I think he would make a good season long or half-season long villain. I'm not sure he'll be around past ep. 2 now, dang.

As for the world ending, I thought the woman was referring to Kandor and not Earth. But that Clark, not knowing about Kandor, mistook the reference to Earth. I am confused though about the Kryptonian clones, when did that happen? Was it explained why Kandor was destroyed or who destroyed it? I just remember that orb telling Tess that should could be the savior and then a naked guy-Davis-supposed to be Zod's vessel?-appearing in the season finale.

17. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Hey there, DP, I couldn't agree more with you on that! The Doomsday encounter had to be the worst fight/battle sequence in the show's history, fitting to the lamest season finale it's ever had.

I really liked KNC, and it's a shame she's gone so quickly (unless of course, she appears in flashbacks, or as she hinted, Clark has yet to 'meet' her in the linear timeline.

All in all, good ep and I also enjoyed seeing Mr. Gaeta again.

18. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I couldn't make out if that was her, so that's that then, they were close, and he "betrayed" them, and she was pissed and wanted him dead, heh.

19. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Just sent you a PM, Dude.

;)

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the black dude and the chick supposed to be Nam-Ek and Aethyr? I sort of assumed so, but haven't seen credits the stated as such.

Also, has it been said whether Morris is supposed to return this season? I like to see a fully powered Manhunter manhandle Zod. Because, you know damn well Clark isn't going to do it.