Coming July 2013: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE — RISE OF THE FEDERATION

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Christopher, Nov 2, 2012.

1. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My copy arrived this morning, I read the first three chapters straight away. Absolutely loving it so far, really enjoying how so many obscure bits from Enterprise are being embraced and joined up in interesting ways, makes the astro-political scene in the Enterprise era seem much more realisitic than all these species we saw once in local space and until now, heard nothing of again.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ditto I finished this book yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed this book for the same reasons you did:techman:I can't wait to get the Tower of babel next year..
    :D:beer::hugegrin:

3. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Congratulations! I hope to see this series in the stores and that it does a faithful job to the original series in bridging the Enterprise - TOS gap. Maybe we can see some Daedelus class ships and Captain April's father or grandfather?

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Daedalus-class ships were featured heavily in the preceding Romulan War duology, and one is included in A Choice of Futures.

5. JJohnson

I saw the one Daedelus so far. The second I read your thread I bought up a copy, it arrived yesterday, and got a little over halfway through last night! It's an easy read, and the dialog flows very well. I didn't remember all the alien species from Enterprise, so for me I had to look up what they looked like. I kind of which these books had a few pictures inside or elsewhere if for nothing else than a refresher, and perhaps an image of the new Starfleet uniform you described on page 10 on the next cover would be a great help visualizing it.

I do hope you plan on doing another ST:E novel at some point soon, as you've done well so far and I enjoy your storyline. It'd be interesting to see Archer's reaction to an Orion girl in Starfleet serving on T'Pol's ship, or perhaps one or two Martian humans for variety's sake. Your characterizations of the Andorians and Tellarites were good at capturing their species' outlook on things, which I appreciated. Please keep up the good work sir!

6. JJohnson

I agree. The building blocks of all the species, and the thoughts on Andorian bridge design were well received. Lots of tidbits at possible future developments for Starfleet.

7. Christopher

Here's the link to my crude uniform sketch again:

http://home.fuse.net/ChristopherLBennett/EarlyStarfleetUniform1.jpg

I'm just a few weeks from finishing Book 2. I'm hoping there will be more.

I've already included a mix of humans -- Terran, Alpha Centaurian, Vegan, Space Boomer, and maybe more. But there is at least one Martian character in Book 2.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Christopher, are the uniforms in the link you gave intended to also be a bridge to the Kelvin unis from ST XI?

9. Christopher

^The uniforms are meant to be part of the entire evolutionary lineage of Starfleet uniforms. I took cues from many future uniform designs.

10. JJohnson

Thank you, sir. That's just about what I thought it looked like, though I don't recall the pockets. It's a tunic/pants combination though, as opposed to the old jumpsuits, right?

I especially liked the origins of the symbols of the 13 Constitution-class vessels. That I caught as soon as I saw it and smiled. Well done!

11. Christopher

^Well, we don't know those symbols are just for Connies. The Tellarite/Antares insignia was for a freighter, after all. And we don't know what classes of ship the arrowhead-wearing officers in the starbase bar in "Court-martial" were from.

12. Briet

Briet Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well it has been some time since someone wrote here be if you read this Christopher would you be kind enough to answer a question? Is your Alan Sheehan related to the MACO corporal named John Sheehan from Beneath the Raptor's Wing?

13. Christopher

Not that I know of. The character name, along with Regina Tallarico's, was recycled from my original writing. Sometimes I reuse names from unsold stories to save me the trouble of coming up with new ones. In fact, these names were doubly recycled, since I cribbed them from unsold stories when I needed to flesh out the cast of a spec novel, then decided it had too many characters after all and cut them again.

The name may owe a little something to my 6th-grade English teacher Miss Sheehan. I usually got on very well with my English teachers.

14. Briet

Briet Lieutenant Red Shirt

^I see, my literature teachers always liked me as well. Thank you.

15. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I have a question for you, Christopher. I don't mean to put forth any story ideas or ask you to spoil your future novels, so I'll put this question this way: Are you aware of John Harriman's grandfather?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  16. Christopher

Yes, and actually I recently edited Memory Beta's entry on the character when I realized it was leading me astray. It claimed that Blackjack Harriman's father was a Starfleet officer who fought in the Romulan War, but the ages didn't work out so I dug into it more closely, and saw that the text of Serpents Among the Ruins actually said that Blackjack's father was a child during the war. Which scuttled my plans to feature him as a captain or starbase commander or something.

17. Enterprise1701

^Oh. I just re-read that passage myself and realized that you're right.

18. Enterprise1701

A question on a different subject: I recently found the second and third novels in The Janus Gate trilogy at my local library. I'm not going to finish them until I can find the first one, but I noticed that they apparently feature the races Tlaolians and Shechenag as well as time travel. Did they have any influence on the Ky'rha and the Shenchorig? In particular, are the names of the latter ones intentionally similar?

19. Christopher

Not intentionally. However, looking back, it seems I did read The Janus Gate during the time when I would've been working on the manuscript for Watching the Clock (in fact, I probably tracked it down because of its time-travel content, though I ultimately decided not to draw on it), so I could've been subconsciously remembering the name. On the other hand, "Shenchorig" does sound very much like the kind of name I'd make up entirely on my own (cf. Torvig from Titan, based on a character named Chorvigg that I'd created many years earlier).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  20. Enterprise1701