The Dark Knight to have a female villain?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, but how does that really fit in with her working with not-Lex (but she doesn't know it's not-Lex) like two weeks later? That's really weird.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Ra's has been fecund across the centuries. Talia is not his only child. She had a much older sister named Nyssa, and she had a brother, Dusan. Nyssa was finally killed by Cass, and Ra's transferred his spirit into Dusan's body in "The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul." (So, biologically, Talia is now her father's sister. Only in comics...)

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Talia also had sex with
    Jason Todd
    at the end of the mini-series. She's had lovers and stuff.

4. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What do you have against non-traditional families? :p

The twins thing was a rhetorical question, though.

AY: Yeah, I knew about that. Creepy quasi-necrophilia. You know, for the kids. : /

5. Admiral_Young

^ Yeah I wasn't thrilled when I saw that lol.

6. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I'd like to see Catwoman as the love interest and Harley Quinn as the Villian. The only thing about Harley is it would have been cool to see her break Joker out of Arkam, but I guess that won't be happening. To have Harley Quinn without Joker would just seem like something is missing, but if anyone can pull it off it would be Nolan.

7. Admiral_Young

I would have introduced Selina just by herself and spent a film having her as Bruce's new love interest then showing Catwoman in the third movie.

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The Timmverse series also showed that Ra's had a son who was his second in command back in the Wild West days, Arkady Duvall. But unfortunately he was also a violent psycho who Ra's eventually abandoned when Jonah Hex came after them.

9. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds, like a good idea to me.:bolian:

10. Python Trek

Python Trek Commodore Commodore

West Consin, People's Republic of America
    Michelle Williams should play Harley Quinn. Think about it.

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not get the whole Brokeback Mountain cast into these Batman movies (and yes, I know Williams once dated Ledger).

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^I'd have no complaints if the other BM female, Ann Hathaway was cast - she's on the shortlist, isn't she?

13. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

She is, and she's a great actress. She nearly stole the show in Rachel Getting Married and plus, on a completely unrelated topic, she has a great rack.

14. Captaindemotion

^yes and even better, apparently she gets it out in some new movie co-starring Jake Gyllenhall (back to Brokeback again).

15. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

Yes, I rather think someone could. :p

I wonder if they might not go the route of making Selina not quite a villain in this movie. Still a criminal, but more of a petty thief type who teams up with Batman (after about an hour or so) to take down some larger threat (Talia?). That way, we could have Catwoman and some other major female member of the rogue's gallery, and also a love interest for Bats. ;)

16. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're real and they're spectacular!

17. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

More Batman talk, less spank bank fodder. Thanks. ;)

18. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not having any trouble grasping the character - I'm saying the way her "tragedy" is written is dumb. It's a contrived tragedy which anyone as intelligent as she is said to be would easily throw off by realizing, hey, I'm a grown woman, I'm a master assassin with mad organizational skills, and I don't have to please Daddy, who's been treating me like shit all these years, and if Bruce doesn't want me, I don't need him either. The girl needs to read a copy of "He's Just Not that Into You".

I mean, you're saying the very things about her that make her an unlikeable character - she is incapable of having a destiny of her own. Why? She's supposedly an extremely intelligent, capable person. She's manipulated by Ra's (or Nyssa, or Bruce, over and over again), which indicates to me she's weak willed and stupid. Why that is considered a good villain or a fabulous love interest for someone as strong willed and smart as Bruce Wayne is unfathomable - it breaks one's suspension of disbelief. Or at least it breaks mine.

I heartily agree all the way around. Nolan did a very good thing by changing the basic motivation of Ra's away from eco-terrorism (lord, some of the comic book monolgues about why wiping out 9/10ths of humanity to restore the purity of the earth is a brilliant idea on his part are unbelieveably painful) to correcting the corruption of civilization. It's equally as nutty, but it makes for a tighter story as to why Gotham specifically would be targeted, and it was a fun "shadow history" bit in his speech at the end about burning London and loading trade ships with plague rats. It also put the aims of the League into a more reasonable scale - destroying one city versus 9/10ths of humanity. And I personally loved the business about decoy front men and the question - never really answered - about whether or not Ra's al Ghul was immortal.

Well of course it didn't make sense - what in comics does? But it was nice to see her actually have a plan of her own for once. She could be such an interesting character, if they could stop playing her as hot Fatal Attraction psycho with a Daddy complex.

19. Admiral_Young

The point is that I have always felt that Talia should have been in "Batman Begins" but if she does appear in "The Dark Knight Rises" that Nolans and Goyer will find a way to make her work and in an interesting way.

20. Captaindemotion

She's on the casting shortlist and we were commenting on the Brokeback/ Batman connections (Ledger, the Gyllenhalls). Pay attention! :p