Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I just finished reading Marvel Now Point One and I think now have a little bit more of an understanding why the Avengers members are going to be memory wiped after each mission. If you read the issue, you'll probably have picked up on it.

I'm also a little bit more excited for Fraction's FF than I was before, especially Mike Allred's art work. Young Avengers looks like it is going to be fun as well.

616 Agent Coulson is definately Agent Coulson :) I could hear Clark Gregg's voice when reading his dialogue.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

A week full of final issues.

Journey into Mystery 645 was a heart-breaking end to little Loki's journey as he confronts his evil self and comes out... victorious? The way JiM ends makes me very curious as to how the character will be used in Young Avengers.

FF 23-- The final end to Johnathon Hickman's epic run. Easily right up there with the Lee/Kirby and Byrne runs it will be best remembered for re-energizing the FF by re-discovering it's heart and soul with the classic family dynamic. Truly, as Hickman said in his farewell, deserving once more of the title "World's Greatest Comic Magazine".

Hickman will indeed be missed, but while I'm not getting Fraction's FF, I will be buying the "main" book. The Fantastic Four has always been my favorite Marvel team, and I am happy to give the new writer and direction a fair shot.

Captain America 19-- The end of Ed Brubaker's run. Wow. Was it really over 100 issues? A done-in-one that re-affirms Cap's dedication to his mission and the symbol of Captain America while he visits the Cap from the 50s in the hospital. A strong finish to a run that was mostly good, even epic at times, but has been slowly running out of steam for some time.

Avengers 32-- Still two more issues till this one ends. Yay! I really, really missed the Wasp and was grinning ear-to-ear at her reunion with her team-mates. Appropriately, the team rescuing her are essentially the the team she started with-- Iron Man, Thor, Pym and Cap, giving us a reunion of the original team sans Hulk for the final arc. Amusingly, Jan didn't even question Cap's being alive considering he was dead when she "died". :lol:

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FF was great. i loved the adventures in Franklin's pocket universe.

4. Admiral_Young

I am going to miss Hickman's Fantastic Four for all the reasons Turtletrekker so eloquently pointed out in his review. Fraction...you're on the clock and as I've said so many times already...going to be on a tight leash. You've got Bagely and Allred on art...so that's plus two on your side. Don't mess this up.

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Dan Slott may have accidentally revealed the identity of the Superior Spider-Man... or he may simply be playing a joke on everyone.

6. Turtletrekker

Haven't been reading ASM, so I had no fear of the spoiler.

Miguel O'Hara? As in Spider-Man 2099 Miguel O'Hara? Really? Wow, that's actually rather interesting. I wonder how he would be brought into the story. Would it be the Peter David version of the character, the Exiles version, the version from the more recent 2099 event or a Miguel from yet another future?

Is Slott pulling this out of ass story-wise, or has there been any foreshadowing?

Of course, as mentioned, it might just be a joke on Slott's part.

7. Admiral_Young

We've speculated on that very thing in this thread, and indeed it could be an attempt at misdirection on Slott's part. He is very active on social media and most likely aware of the theories online. Also Amazing Spider-Man would give no indication as to his identity anyway, so if you were reading or not it wouldn't matter.

8. Turtletrekker

^I knew that I had seen speculation to the effect somewhere, but I guess it didn't really register.

Anyway, next weeks previews from CBR...

A+X #1
    Avenging Spider-Man Annual #1
    AvX: Consequences #4
    Captain Marvel #6
    Hit-Girl #4
    The Mighty Thor #22
    New Mutants #50
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #16.1
    Ultimate Comics X-Men #18
    Wolverine and the X-Men #19
    Winter Soldier #12
    X-Men Legacy #275

For me, AvX Consequences, Captain Marvel (dropping with this issue), Hit-Girl, New Mutants (last issue) and Winter Soldier.

9. Admiral_Young

-A+X#1 (The Bridging continues)
    -Avenging Spider-Man Annual #1
    -AVX: Consequences #4
    -Captain Marvel #6 (Not a great time to drop this yet, since we're exploring Carol's origin again!)
    -Hit-Girl #4
    -Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 16.1
    -Wolverine and the X-Men #19
    -X-Men Legacy #275

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The ending of Hickman's Fantastic Four run was really touching. That was a really good series. I thought that Fraction's ending to Iron Man was very solid as well with a great final battle against the Mandarin. I loved the Dark Reign part of the run, then it spun its wheels for a long time after that, but the ending arc was great!

11. Admiral_Young

I just finished reading FF#23...what a magnificent and touching story. Hickman is going to be incredibly missed with these characters. This felt like more of a good-bye issue than did Fantastic Four. One thing that I found really interesting though...was Hickman hinting at his upcoming "Avengers" run in the story that Future Franklin was telling Johnny and Ben? Or was he describing "Days of Future Past" as well? I couldn't really tell but it seemed familiar to me and I wouldn't put it past the glorious bastard that is Hickman that he slipped something in there.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Punisher War Zone #1 was a good set up issue for what is to come. It's a sobering reminder that this is the beginning of the end of one of the better 616 Punisher runs by one writer. Solid charaterizations, especially enjoyed how Rucka handled the Logan/Frank discussion at the end. The fact that Logan just shows up in one of his secrete lairs and that Black Widow will have to find him is interesting. Logan does not agree with Steve or Peter on this and doesn't volunteer with how to find Frank.

Next up, Black Widow -- soldier vs spy

Anyone else get this?

13. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've caught up with and finished IM #527, which finishes the run of writer Matt Fraction. I'm told that his work on the book has been pretty divisive with the hardcore fans of Iron Man.. Character assassination of Tony Stark, knocking him off the wagon, and making him a reactionary, less heroic superhero. I can see this, but at the same time I was fairly engaged by the storytelling of the book. Not being a huge comics reader (but loving the tech), I picked up the book with the start of Extremis and kept up with it. It wasn't huge, but it wasn't bad IMO.

But then, I went back and read some V.3 stuff on the recommendation of some aforementioned hardcore IM fans, and I see what they mean. Pre-Extremis, Tony was certainly more heroic (actually saving people with heroic deeds, versus concentrating solely on the corporate shenanigans and attacks on his companies). There were more colorful villains and lots more crossing over with other heroes; also, the action was IMO much more well done, with the tech being explained and used (versus showing simple energy blasts back and forth with no real choreography).

Also, while I really liked the Extremis armor, the Bleeding Edge armor that followed it really wasn't likeable (and I know it wasn't popular with readers). The various V.3 armors were artfully rendered and nicely shown in action, and with more believable tech than the nigh-magical stuff that culminated in Bleeding Edge, which was more shown without ever being really explained.

Overall, this Matt Fraction person had a very different take on writing Iron Man, and while I didn't hate it, I certainly preferred this more classic take on storytelling that preceded him. I'm not a hardcore comics guy, but I'll keep up casually reading IM and looking forward to the next team's take on Tony Stark.

Mark

14. Turtletrekker

I haven't read Iron Man for a while, but will be on board for new writer Kieron Gillen. Apparently, the new direction will build upon Tony's spiritual epiphany during the Phoenix encounter.

15. Admiral_Young

Yeah I'm looking forward to that run more now, especially after we got a glimpse of it in AVX: Consequences #3.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. Admiral_Young

Morrison and Hickman in the same room together...oh man...the mind can not compute this amount of awesome!

18. Admiral_Young

19. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

CBR has a new interview with Slott up now.

One of the questions dealt with the Alpha solicitation:

20. Admiral_Young

So he's saying that Peter won't make it through #700? I don't know how it was a "miscommunication" on Fialkov's part since he very clearly stated that Alpha would still be reporting to Peter at Horizons. That doesn't seem like a "miscommunication" at all to me.