Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

394 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Oooh, so many new (or not so new) people. Welcome, everyone. I hope you'll enjoy your stay.

2. st.barthgirl

st.barthgirl Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hey all,
    st.barthgirl here...

So glad i found you!

I've been re-watching all things Star Trek recently, this time by theme, instead of by show/movie~ accompanied by the online Wiki.

My brain bubbles with ideas, questions, reactions.

Very Grateful to know there are like minded folks out there who might be inclined to Not Think i'm Nuts, and who might be willing to toss around some thoughts.

A lady never tells her age :), but i can tell you that i'm recently moved to RuralVille, USA: No Cell Phones {really}, Quite Bucolic, Perennially Peaceful, Definitely a Culture Shock. And i come with a dog: Harper, a truly Lovely, Joyful 4 yr Old Akita.

Hello...

3. Count Zero

By theme? That sounds like an interesting idea. How does that work?

4. st.barthgirl

Hey, Count. Thanks for the Welcome.

Theme? Not sure if it's exactly the right word.

i wanted to develop a fuller understanding of Klingon/Federation relations- so i read the Wiki on the History, then started Chronologically By Star date watching the episodes in the various series (except TAS) , Undiscovered country, then series again...( i'm still in DS9 following Worf's journey) that centered on the Klingons- the high council, Worf's relationship the high council, etc.

Geo-politics isn't really my 'thing'- so Uni/multi-versal Politics is even more difficult for me to grasp. A Themed Rewatch helps to Put it all together for me.

A Query, if i might: Would anyone happen to know why the Memory Alpha Wiki is written in the Past Tense~ as in: The Klingons were a Warrior Race- rather than in the Present tense? I'm new to the Wiki and to Fan sites. Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

5. Count Zero

I think most of their in-universe articles are written in past tense, if not all. I'm not sure why - maybe because the story has already been aired/published.

6. st.barthgirl

Thank you, Count.

i've noticed that, and i find that decision to be rather odd. Not bad~ just- odd. Beyond my understanding, i suppose- because to me, it makes 'the thing' Dead... Past... Gone... Done.

And i think of in- universe things as very much Alive, Dynamic: Still with a story to tell, a future, even more Past... given the nature of Star Trek.

Maybe it's to help distinguish Fantasy from Reality, for those who would be confounded???

7. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    That's one thing that bothers me about Memory Alpha. Probably the only thing, as that website is so wonderfully extensive in its scope. But yes, I agree with you about the past tense. It feels off.

8. st.barthgirl

hi Minuet...

i remember your character fondly! Thank you for making me feel welcome.

Yes, i wasn't meaning to Dis Memory Alpha at all... Clearly it's a great achievement of Collective Volunteerism.... want to make that clear to any contributors... well done! But the tense thing is a bit of a non-starter for me...

9. Count Zero

Well, I've been mostly reading about all things Romulan on Memory Alpha lately and the past tense seemed kind of appropriate there. It made me a bit sad, though. :(

10. st.barthgirl

Don't be Sad, Count.... Here, have a Tribble. They're SWEET & CUDDLY. They Purr.

And since they're Vermin, you can Shoot them silly if you find that to be more therapeutic. Worf Does.

Just don't get them Wet.

or... wait... is it don't feed them? or don't expose them to Light? Or don't dangle your infant above a Den of them at the Zoo? Arse. I'm getting Old.

Ummm, really tho, please Do NOT shoot. They're Sentient, too, you know. and No Tribble Souffle, either. It just isn't nice. i'll take her back if you don't want her. Darn! my mother TOLD me not to give Pets as Presents... when will i learn?

11. Count Zero

Well, now there are hundreds of them. :wtf: Don't worry, though, I won't shoot them.

12. Luisiana Jones

Luisiana Jones Ensign Red Shirt

Hi there guys, so... this is the first Trek forum I join, i've been an active member in other movie related forums (rpf, jedi council, indygear...) for the last couple of years and am certainly looking forward to having a laugh or two in this, for me, new community.

Kind regards from Europe.,

LJ

13. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    No problem!

I'm kind of new here myself, so, we'll conquer this place together. :rommie:

14. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hello all new members who joined over the last couple of weeks - hope you like it here :)

15. Kremin

Kremin Cadet Newbie

Hello everyone I'm new so I thought I would say hello, I've been a fan of the show since the 70's messing about with the models from the saga for about the same amount of time

16. R0AM

R0AM Cadet Newbie

Hi Everyone

After watching the Star Trek Film(2009) a few years ago I promised myself I would start watching the TV series, well a week or so ago TOS arrived on my TV's on demand so I started watching it now I'm hooked and will be picking up the box sets very soon. Better late than never I guess :rommie:

17. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hi Kremin and R0AM :)

18. Somniac

Somniac Cadet Newbie

Hi fellow Trekkies.
    I have migrated here from Star Trek.com boards (I became disillusioned. I'm sure some of you know why)
    Bin a fan since TOS and am now in my 60's. Hope that's not too sad. :rommie:
    Think I will lurk for a while before I post and look forward to enjoying everyones input.
    Really glad to have found this board. The vibes seem good.

LLAP.

19. nefariousjason

nefariousjason Cadet Newbie

Heya, I'm Jason. I just joined and I'm hoping to find a new and awesome place to talk, and what better place than one where I'm in the company of fellow Trekkies who know what I'm talking about. Such a thing doesn't exist in the real world where I am. I'm the only Trek fan for miles, and there's nothing worse than hearing a deluded "huh?!" when I start talking Trek tech. Anyways, glad to be here!

20. Antni

Antni Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

UK fan here from Manchester looking to get to chat to people who also love the show and movies etc.

So hi :)