October Art Challenge - Ihlecreations

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ihlecreations, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Ihlecreations

Ihlecreations Captain Captain

Yeah I know the challenge was just posted but I had to get this done when I had the inspiration or I never would. Remember in Soviet Russia, Television watches you.
    [​IMG]

If you speak and read Russian please be kind,I know I mutilated the translations and grammar.

2. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Awesome, I love it. Reminds me of some of the old propaganda posters I saw in history class.

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Nice work. I love the minimalist flat colors. Valiant effort with the Russian. I took Russian waaay back in high school. I couldn't begin to actually translate the preamble into proper Russian, but I can show you what you wrote. It turns out that the Cyrillic alphabet was the only part of the class that really stuck with me. If someone fluent in Russian tried to read what you wrote aloud, it would sound something like:

"Spat-sye, t-khye fee-nal frohn-tee-yer.
    T-khyesye arye t-khye voh-ya-gyes of t-khye
    Roos-ee-ahn Flagsheep, Yentyerpree-sye."

I took the liberty of running it through a translator robot on the Internet and got this:

"Место. Заключительная граница. Они - рейсы российского Предприятия Флагманского cудна."

When read, this would sound like:
    "Myesta. Zaklyucheetyelnahya grahneetsa. O-nee ryeiesui roseeskovo Predpreeyateeya flagmanckovo soodnah."

For what it's worth. Now, I forgot a lot of the Russian I learned, and, let's face it, it was just a High School Class, so a native speaker might well read that as a little silly, so no promises as to the veracity of the proper Russian I herein present.

--Alex

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  4. Ihlecreations

Yeah it is a phonetic translation, not a literally one. Luckily I am of Russian descent and my mother is fluent so I can get a literally translation from her.

5. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks really cool, but Kirk's arm looks a little wonky to me, as if his elbow is attached to his shoulder and he has no upper arm.

6. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

I agree Kirk's arm looks a little odd, but otherwise it's great. The wrinkled paper look is very effective. :)

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Freakin awesome poster there :) :techman:

8. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice work! :D

I went through a Faux Propaganda Poster phase myself, a while back:
    one
    two
    three
    four

9. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    It's not even phonetic, it's transliteration (letter by letter, not sound by sound).

At first my instinct was to read it, but I quickly realised this was not really Russian, so I saved my tongue from tying into a bow ;)

Great poster! I just find Kirk's gesture disturbing. I know it's from "Mirror, Mirror", but it's still disturbing (probably a matter where I come from; you can go to jail for this gesture).

10. Kaziarl

Really? Jail? I mean.. I can easily understand it being offensive, maybe even getting shunned from the rest of society, but jail? Seems a little extreme to me. But then I don't know where your from either?

nice posters ITHell

11. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Propagation of Communist and Nazi notions is a crime in Poland (and some other Eastern European countries AFAIK). Our countries suffered a lot from both, so we're quite touchy. Someone could take such a gesture for propagation.

12. Kaziarl

Completely understandable too. Just didn't realize it was a law. Thanks for the info, I love learning new things.

13. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I rather like #3 a lot!

14. Ihlecreations

Updated the image. The Russian should be a little better, not perfect but better.
    [​IMG]

15. Albertese

Nice! One minor nit, though, as some more of my Russian returns to me. You have "ТОВАРИЩA" for "Comrade" to describe Captain Kirk, but this is the feminine form. It should be "ТОВАРИЩ" Since Kirk is a dude.

--Alex

16. Ihlecreations

Damn, and that is something I know and should have caught. Спасибо Albertese, я был бы потерян без помощи!

17. Albertese

Пожалуйста.

--Alex

18. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I need to brush up on my Russian, I only caught about half of that...