ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which repackaging are you referring to? At least in the US, as far as I'm aware, there's only been one release.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series_(Blu-ray)

It looks like there was a second international release, but I'd guarantee the content was the same, and it was simply a repackaging.

2. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Correct. I have the all-in-one cardboard box edition of TOS.
    The benefit is just that it's a smaller box for easier storage and it was cheaper than buying the separate boxes at the time.

I'm hoping they do one for Enterprise.

3. asl

asl Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

How informative and interesting are the extras from each blu-ray season? I would be interested in picking up the set for these alone.

4. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The documentaries are amazing, and are much more fascinating than those about TNG. With the exception of those on their genesis, casting and development IMO. It just comes down to the better a show is doing, the smoother and less frustrated those involved are.

Mind you, I already knew and had heard much about the TNG years. Michael Piller saving the show and helping develop a strong writing team, Gene's passing etc. What those working on Enterprise really thought was mostly new or a confirmation of mere rumour.

I enjoyed Enterprise, a fair bit more than others generally seemed to though. So what's icing for me, is probably a huge selling point for you. Brannon Braga seriously gives himself a hard time. Going through the series, you'll either think he's over doing that or it's deservedly so. Some shows he hates aren't terrible, just by-the-numbers. A few are worse. But Trek had sunk to lower depths, on more well-regarded versions.

The cast reunion and discussion on Season 2, was one of my wishes granted really. Only actually finding out there was this missing episode that never got shown, could've topped it.

There's a lot to chew over and strong opinions, not all of which I necessarily agree with. But that no subject was off-the-table, makes them some of the best accounts of TV production I've come across.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  5. asl

asl Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thank you for the information, friend. I look forward to seeing the documentaries.

6. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I saw some of the "extras" on Youtube. Someday I'll buy this set and see them all.

The cast reunion will be the biggest reason to purchase it for me too.

8. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm about to bite, but I noticed that for Enterprise, only Seasons 1+2 are labeled as Region Free. Seasons 3+4 are labeled as Region B/2 only. Is this a listing error on Amazon's part? I seem to recall reading that all of these sets were issued region free.

9. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, it's a listing error. I have S3 from the UK and it plays fine in the US.

10. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

Amazon UK seem to be selling the box sets for £15 and £16 for seasons 1,3&4. I also picked up TOS for £12 season 1. Bargain blu Rays!

11. picard_2305

picard_2305 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Can I ask about the blu ray of Enterprise season 1, on the episode Fortunate Son on Disc 3 is there a motion blur in the scene after Phlox checks on captain in their sickbay and camera follows Archer as her talks to Ryan when he says the line "Since we have to stick around..." seems to be a slight blur

12. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rewatching my PAL DVDs, I find the image softer than I remembered (hope it's not a NTSC-PAL conversion), so I will definitely want to buy the blu-rays, but I'll wait until it's issued in a complete series box, or the individual seasons become much cheaper. Would also be a good excuse to buy a UHD TV!

13. voxstella

voxstella Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

14. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Thanks for that. Presumably this is the pre-order price.

15. voxstella

voxstella Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

^You're guaranteed the pre-order price or lower. Now all I need to do is actually buy a region free blu ray player. Suggestions?

16. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have season 4 on blu ray; that was the season I enjoyed the most. I might get season 3 soon.

I don't feel like reading through 42 pages of posts, so apologies if this has been brought up, but do the visual effects seem.... not very "high definition" to anybody else? To my eye, the look more like upscaled DVD, like they weren't rendered in 1080p.

Kor

17. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I imagine the FX are a combination of 720p upscaled, which was the HD of the early 00's, and some 480p that dates back to "Broken Bow". The ship flying toward the camera has that split second aliasing on the hull, as for instance a straight line on the surface travels forward, without the picture information to prevent some slight jaggedness.

Looks like a massive improvement over the soft focus and muted colours of the Season 1-3 sets though. Nine times as sharp as standard DVD, as I think the trailers said, when the Blu rays were being released.

18. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Watched the HD version of "Terra Prime" yesterday on Siffy, and I have to say, it looks fucking great. Now I'm almost tempted to double-dip and get the ENT Blu-rays as well (I already own the DVDs).

19. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK, that does make sense. Too bad they couldn't have re-rendered the visuals. It's a little jarring for all the shots of people to be crystal clear and sharp, but then the exteriors of the ships, etc. look fuzzy.

Kor

20. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quick question to anyone who knows the answer: does the 'Complete Journey' boxset linked to above contain the four regular Blu Ray retail cases in it, or have the discs been repackaged into those larger DVD-sized ''multi-disc packs'' that the TNG complete journey box had?

I'm kinda inclined to pick all four of these up in one fell swoop, but I'd rather have them in ordinary boxes if possible?

Thanks.

EDIT: No worries guys, I found my answer here:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2015/05/ent-uk-boxset-photos/

http://trekcore.com/blog/2015/08/a-look-at-australias-enterprise-blu-ray-box-set/