Superman vs. The Elite.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Guy Gardener, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_vs_The_Elite

They'll let anyone be Lois Lane?

Actually Pauly had just the right amount of sass. :)

props.

But the subject matter?

All the old venom has come back up.

DC owns the Authority, so why did DC manufacture these rip offs?

Maybe Joe Kelly said he wanted to do a Superman vs the Authority and this was during the Homosexuals are not allowed to be superheroes period of their editorial manifesto? You know exactly how watchmen men came to life when Alan Moore was told to leave Blue Beetle and Captain Atom alone...

I can't take this shit seriously because it's just theft.

You know this is really like?

Vance and Coy Duke.

"Sigh"

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Pretty sure that story predated DC owning The Authority.

3. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Isn't The Authority a creator owned series?

4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

WildStorm was owned by DC when The Authority came out, so that wasn't the reason.
    No, it's parody (or commentary) -- much like the Authority themselves, in fact. They didn't use the Authority because the whole story is about how the Authority and what they represent are inferior to Superman, so, considering that DC wants to keep selling Authority comics, and considering that Kelly presumably wouldn't want to insult fans of the character by trashing them with editorial approval, they create analagous figures.

The original story is rather overrated, incidentally, since it doesn't actually demonstrate anything akin to what it claims it is.

5. Guy Gardener

The Elite didn't do anything that Jenny Sparks and the Authority wouldn't except boy on boy sodomy....

I recall WildCATS vs Morrison's JLA when Batman said to Grifter "If you're really as good as you think you are why don't you try this with out the guns."

Effectively the Authority is already a prody of the Justice League.

6. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the story kind of misses the point. It's easy to be non-lethal when you're Superman. You're invulnerable and invincible. You can do anything, you can defeat anyone, nothing can harm you, and nothing can challenge you. You're the closest thing there is to being totally omnipotent without being the Lord God Almighty.

It's a bit more difficult when you aren't practically omnipotent, when the people you're fighting can actually hurt you, possibly kill you, when you might not be able to stop them from killing innocent people. There's a reason why the twins concept of self-defense and defense of others exist as justifications for homicide. People who aren't Superman sometimes have to use lethal force.

And really, the fact that there's any crime for the Elite to fight at all is the result of negligence on Superman's part, so he should hardly be the one to complain.

7. Guy Gardener

I only saw this mentioned once years ago.

Not a joke.

"Super sensitivity"

Just like Daredevil.

When you shoot Superman he may not sustain physical damage, but the pain involved is actually thousands of times worse than a normal human being would register.

Actually.

Just kissing Kal-El should feel for him like some asshole is hacking at his lips with razor blades.

He can't die, but is it a life worth living?

8. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I took the points of the original story to be:
    1. It's easy and unimaginative to be brutal;
    2. The big blue boy scout can kick mayor ass when needed

9. Guy Gardener

They weren't just brutal, they were idiots.

The Authority were heroes who did bad things.

The elite were villains who wanted to do good things.

10. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I liked that they used George Newbern for Superman. At this point I can't tell him and Tim Daly apart.

I enjoyed the film. The ending fight reminded me of the famous "World of Cardboard".

11. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

The one power Supes doesn't have is the power to be every place at all times.

12. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doesn't the movie not come out until next week?

13. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He's fast enough that he might as well be. His speed is absurdly FTL and be can go from Earth to the edge of the visible universe in a matter of seconds. Furthermore, he has the reflexes to maneuver at that speed.

Second, his hearing is physics-breakingly acute. He can hear cries for help in distant galaxies, despite the fact that sound can't propagate through space. And it's FTL. He could be aware of every single sound on the planet Earth.

His vision, likewise, breaks physics. It's telescopic, x-ray, and microscopic and he can stack these features. And it's FTL. He can see things on distant planets in distant galaxies in real-time, through walls, at atomic resolution. If he wanted to he could see everything that's happening on Earth.

Combine these three and he could literally stop every crime on the planet while having sex with Lois and she wouldn't even notice him pull out because he's just that fast.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Which would be an incredibly boring series (unless we were actually shown the sex in progress, but then it would be targeted at a somewhat different audience). Superman is only interesting as a hero if he has limits. His powers have not always been portrayed the way you describe; creators such as John Byrne and Bruce Timm have tried to impose reasonable limits on them so that he wouldn't be godlike and unbeatable and it could be plausible that he could fail.

Also, there's the "World of Cardboard" factor. If he did have that kind of ultra-super power, then cutting loose too much could be devastating. If he flew across country in a split second, the resultant atmospheric shock wave and weather disruptions would probably devastate much of the nation. If he dragged a criminal from a crime scene to the police station in a split second, the acceleration would reduce the criminal to pulp. And if he did stop every crime and disaster in the world, then humanity would become helpless and dependent on him.

15. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    indeed, and it would kind of prove Lex Luthor's point. I've always found the "concerned for the effects of a society dependent on a demigod" Luthor to be the best motivated one.

16. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I would looooooooooooooooove to read that book! A man with the power to do anything, be anywhere at any time and who is inadvertently wrecking everything because he's just too powerful! Just imagine the guy trying to weigh the moral implications of trying to help people against the damage done actually helping them! It sounds like one hell of a comic series! :techman:

17. Guy Gardener

The infantalization of man is one of the reasons why he LEX LUTHOR must destroy Superman.

Personally if Superman would have admitted that telepaths ain't so easy for him, and got some help from the league, the Martian Manhunter should have been able to shut Manchester Black down in seconds for daring to afront his psyche, becuase a mouse does not attack a lion unless he's a twat.