The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

This is what frustrates me about the part where he goes out of his way to rescue the Joker from falling at the end of TDK. I mean, he didn't do that for Ra's in BB or Harvey at the end of TDK.

He caused Dent's death directly. Yes, it was to save Gordon's son, but it was still killing, just not murder. The situation with the Joker would have been self-defense as the Joker had Batman pinned, and given his nature, might very well have killed him.

one of the things I liked about the Burton movies was that Batman was pragmatic about killing. He didn't go out of his way to kill criminals or kill them in cold blood, but he could kill when he had to.

If Nolan were really interested in "comic book realism," he'd have Batman kill occasionally, as a vigilante in his situation would probably have to do.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Another thing I hated about him saving the Joker was how physically impossible it was. Quite a lucky shot for the grapple to catch him (either his waste, leg, or ankle) but it would be impossible for any man to have the strength to pull the joker up without something to offer physical counter-balance. Of course they show him in a successive shot using a girder for counterbalance but there is no way for Batman to have positioned the grapple around the girder.

Nolan is a good filmmaker who somehow always covers his ass of a myriad of sins by clever and rather sneaky editing. Most of the last hour of the Dark Knight felt like a montage rather than a film comprised of scenes that actually play out.

3. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

That scene had Alfred ripping into Bruce about the whole thing. Basically telling him that he took things too far and he was lucky nobody was hurt.
    I always looked at it as part of the growing pains of becoming Batman. Sometimes he's going to push things too far.
    Alfred served the purpose of a reality check, keeping Bruce in line.
    Lucius served the same purpose in The Dark Knight in regard to the sonar device.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Truth.

Yep! That's it.

Still a hand wave, though. :lol:

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a story about this on Blastr, and the update there says WB is denying that.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The funny thing about the Bane situation is that if there was ever a time for ADR, this seems to be it. You don't even have to worry about lip-sync! :techman:

You seem to contradict yourself.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this whole "Nolan doesn't want ADR" is misreported. It came up during the production of TDK, when Heath Ledger died and they couldn't do any ADR for the Joker anymore, and Nolan said they don't need to because the sound in his takes was good enough.

9. sonak

no I don't.

10. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I don’t see a contradiction here. It says first that Bruce breaks his “I don’t kill my enemies” rules, and second that it’s not realistic for someone in his position to keep such a rule. So if you’re going to kill, kill, and stop saying you’re honoring some personal rule that you never kill your enemies.

Although Bruce often claims he refuses to kill his enemy, Batman Begins initially introduces a weaker and more realistic version of the rule, when Bruce states simply that he won’t be an executioner.

Dent’s death is by no means an execution. It’s the collateral damage from saving the little Gordon. The only alternative to killing Dent is sacrificing the hostage. In that situation, by all means, kill!

Ra’s’s death is more morally ambiguous. Bruce derails an occupied train, has an opportunity to extract the passenger and deliver him to police, but chooses to leave him there to die. That looks an awful lot like an execution.

11. sonak

good summary

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Conan O'brien just made fun of the whole Bane dialogue situation

It's official the whole thing has become a pop culture trend.

*Awaits fan parodies with Batman and Bane and neither one understanding each other on funnyordie or college humor*

13. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW-BxAU2xvo[/yt]

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teuR--JbSm8[/YT]

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That would be funny if not for the fact that we could understand what they were saying the entire time, until it became necessary to the joke for them to speak in gibberish.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, jokes about not understanding people don't work that well when you can understand them.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Watching
    the first film again, listening to how they say that a man can be destroyed but a symbol can be incorruptible, and then watching the TDKR teaser again, I think they will kill of Bruce.

It could be that Gordon-Levitt is a cop who will take up the mantle of the batman...

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think some are making more of John Blake than they should by connecting him with Bruce. All we know about him is that he's part of a special task force under Gordon's command. We don't know what that task force is yet of course. I do think that he has an unique role to play in the film but not what so many fans seem to be thinking. The symbol being more than a man is an interesting theme to consider...but again I believe that Rises is going to be about Bruce fully accepting being Batman and having to rise to defeat Bane after being crippled by him. Killing Bruce Wayne is just too drastic for any Batman film to undertake, doesn't matter if they're rebooting the franchise after wards or not. I very much doubt DC Ent/Warner Bros would approve of this as well. Nolan or not.

19. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most likely we'll see Batman standing on the rooftops of Gotham at night, as per usual.

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I think he gives up being Batman, and continues the work of his father, as Bruce Wayne. That would create a nice circle, in my opinion.

In Batman Begins, Wayne thought fighting crime needs a symbol that cannot be destroyed. In TDK, we see that the symbol actually makes things worse, and that you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. TDKR seems to be about poor vs. rich in a way, so it seems he failed to do good things as Bruce Wayne. And it seems that Bane actually manages to destroy Batman, also as a symbol.

So I guess Wayne returns as Batman one last time only to kick Bane's ass, and then retires.