DY-700 "Hammerhead" Class

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by sojourner, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Not really. They wouldn't design special cargo containers for just one ship class. They would use the standard DY series cargo containers, the ones that were designed to go around the cylindrical hull of the DY's. This hull design simply doesn't permit such a placement with said containers. So, they loose some theoretical cargo capacity, but they can charge a premium for shipping because of it's reduced transit time, which offsets the smaller total amount of cargo shipped.

Sounds perfectly logical from a business standpoint.

2. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

Perhaps it's simply "form over function"...it looks good? (I'm not criticizing your question, as it made me think about it)
    I know I do things like that all the time, (in my case) bizarre shapes that have no correlation to any real-world engineering, but "look cool"...or at least try to:)
    Maybe these could be specialized containers, for a specific customer, 2 part or multi-part containers that have rounded areas for fluid/pressurized containment, as well as dry/non-pressurized areas?
    With big square boxes, I keep picturing the old kit-bashed BSG "cargo hauler" ships...:)

About Kerkythea, Good Mercy! Is the stuff on their site representative of what you could render from sketchup meshes?
    That's amazing.

3. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

4. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Ooh, I like this one. :) I especially like the forward section.

Can't wait to see it finished. :)

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Made a subtle change to the shape of the hammerhead. It was just a little too square in the overhead view for my liking. You can also see I am working on ideas for alternate cargo pods.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Personally I like the original cargo pods much, much more.

7. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

Looks great. Can't wait to see the finished version.

That blank spot on top of the tower would be a good spot for a docking adapter.

8. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It'd also be a great spot for a patio.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yea, I actually left it blank in possible anticipation of putting an airlock there, though it would intrude on the cargo control room, so if an airlock does get put in, it will have to be moved forward and those greebles re-arranged.

Couple more small details to end the night:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

A perfect hybrid. This is the best early starship concept I have ever seen here.

11. shipfisher

shipfisher Commander Red Shirt

Mixing the Dy lineage with the XCV-330 ringship type drive is great stuff. The DY-700 could easily be a contemporary of the "SS Enterprise". I'm liking this big time.