Ghostbusters 2016: Talk about the movie(s).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Oct 8, 2010.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra

I can't really blame him for not being interested. Even if, by some miracle, they actually manage to make a good movie, it almost certainly won't be HALF as inspired or original as the first Ghostbusters was.

The odds are much higher that it'll just be another letdown like all the other sequels that came 20 years later have been.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the studio really wants to do this, they should simply reboot it. Murray's not interested, and if there's any urgency to another Ghostbusters that's not coming from Ackroyd and Ramis, then they can find an approach that doesn't rely upon the original cast for credibility.

Hell, even Star Trek only needed one of 'em! :lol:

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Murray does say in the interview that he knows the studio would prefer to reboot it but want to make one more with the original cast...or something akin to that.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Pretty much. There's a reason they've been trying -- and failing -- to get another movie off the ground since 1992 or so. There's a fundamental break in the creative process. It isn't Ramis, Aykroyd or anyone else saying, "Hey, we've got a great idea to tell another Ghostbusters story, can we make another movie?" It's Sony saying, "Hey, interest in this property is pretty high right now. Make another movie."

Everything about this project, outside of Aykroyd (who's just a crazy bastard), screams "doing it for the sake of doing it." Ramis and Reitman sound like they're just along for the ride, Murray doesn't give a shit (and if the allegations from his most recent divorce are true, he's either high or drunk about 24/7) ... there's no reason for this movie to be made. Fans want a movie with the original crew busting ghosts one last time. That isn't what they're going to get. Sony wants a movie that can launch a whole new franchise of Ghostbusters films, merchandise, etc.

5. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed.

6. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I hope he holds it up forever at this point. It's too late, Ivan hasn't written anything worth a toot as of late, Elmer Bernstein is dead now, and I have ZERO trust in who will play the new replacements for the aging crew.

Reboot? How about a fucking original movie that isn't a remake of something that was good and never needed to be remade?

I'm never knowingly paying to see a reboot again, not that I actually did so before.

And Murray ... I don't want him involved in something he doesnt' care about anyway. In fact, it wouldn't bother me to never see him in a film ever again.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there really a need to do this?

8. Timby

Do you have a problem with either of these statements? Aykroyd is an avid believer in the paranormal, actively promotes his beliefs in ghosts and the like, and sells skull-shaped bottles of vodka while pimping his latest "SPOOKS AND ALIENS ARE HERE" book. I'd say, in a joking sense, that yes, he is indeed a crazy bastard. As for Murray, his drug habits have been well-known for decades, and even Zombieland poked fun at his notorious love of the ganja. Ex-wife Jennifer Butler, in her divorce filing a few years ago, said that Murray was either drinking or toking up at almost all times during their marriage.

In any event, the point remains that Murray doesn't give two shits about Ghostbusters (and his performance in The Video Game in 2009 showed it), and there's no reason to make this movie. Sony (and people like Aykroyd) continually overlook the fact that the success of the first movie was because it was a happy accident -- a combination of script, improvisation, comedy, sci-fi and a love letter to New York City.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I've been largely indifferent to all developments on this movie and you perfectly summed up why.

Normally Sony would just do a reboot. But they don't fully control the rights. So they need the old guys. But the result is nothing is happening because they have no real passion for it.

10. Admiral_Young

Well to be honest it seems like Bill is the only person who doesn't have any passion for it and he's the linchpin for greenlighting any script. He has veto power apparently and the simple fact is if he's not interested and doesn't consider it a personal priority (why would he in the first place?) then this will never get made.

11. Timby

You're essentially right. As I've said earlier, unless the contracts have changed (and I don't think they have, based on Reitman's "his deal is complicated" statement a few months ago), no Ghostbusters film project can move forward without the consent of Aykroyd, Ramis, Murray and Reitman. But I don't think that Murray is the only crink in the flow. If you listen to Ramis' interviews over the last year or so, when asked about Ghostbusters 3, he chuckles, in sort of a parent's "that's nice" manner, then says it's on the way. Sony, correctly, understands that Aykroyd can't write a script for shit on his own, and Ramis doesn't care to the point that he pawned it off to his Year One goons. If he had the energy for this project, he would have collaborated with Aykroyd on, at the very least, a first draft. But he doesn't. Again, this is a movie being made for the sake of being made (and I really hope that it gets derailed again), not for any great creative reason.

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it seems like at this point it would be made in order to cash in, and not because they have a great story they've been waiting to tell. If the enthusiasm isn't there, then it comes across as a bad idea. Ghostbusters comes across to me as a franchise people should be doing for fun and not for the money.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I have a problem with these unneccessary bashes. Would you do that with members of this board?

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And what's peculiar and annoying is that if everyone would give up on the former - which will never be done satisfactorily, given the personalities and timing - the studio could probably do well with the latter.

Yes, us old folks would be unhappy - but that doesn't mean that the project wouldn't be successful or that it couldn't be done well on those terms, for a new audience Whereas, frankly, if we get what we prefer - the old crew busting ghosts - it's almost guaranteed that the project that results from this process will disappoint and annoy us.

15. Admiral_Young

Frankly all I want is a good, entertaining story. The nostalgic part of me who's a fan of the franchise and the original characters of course wants one last film with them, but that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen. The next best thing would be a reboot with competent actors with a decent script. That doesn't seem like it will happen because of the right's issue/Murray's contract. So we're stuck in a rock and a hard place as the saying goes.

16. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

cf. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I really like Crystal Skull, not perfect but better than the 'net gives it credit for.
    If it were as bad as the 'net said it was it wouldn't still be in the Netfilx top 100 films rented/viewed 2yrs later. The fact is it's an enjoyable movie despite some flaws.

If I got a GB3 that was that good I'm for it.

18. Admiral_Young

I liked Crystal Skull as well. For all of it's faults and flaws, it's no where near as bad as "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen".

19. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I wonder if Bill has watched Ghostbusters II lately. I really don't think it's that bad a movie. Yeah there's some stuff that doesn't quite work in it but it's hardly the worst movie ever made.

20. Admiral_Young

Probably not, but it's clear from all the interviews his given in the past that he's not a fan of it. In the interview with Stern he goes on to say that it didn't turn out the way it was originally presented to him which makes me wonder about the original pitch to him. I take those comments as he was pitched a totally different story than the one we eventually got.