‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

That's very true.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I tend to agree with some of the stuff. But then again I consider comics, like video games, an inherently sexist medium anyways. The characters might be good in words, but the graphical/visual depictions... oh my.

The Seven of Nine effect basically. You have this wonderful character, a child turned into a machine trying to become human again, and you totally ruin it by having her run around in a push up, skin tight catsuit.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I was checking out the Wikipedia page for the movie and someone listed the actors who'll be playing Nightwing, Robin, and Flash. But I'm not seeing confirmation anywhere else so it's almost certainly fake.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Oh, I'm not denying yours or anyone else's right to call Goyer out on his comments. Just saying that I don't think that him not knowing much about the issue and him having a laugh aren't mutually incompatible.

That's what I thought. We're (nearly) all judging his comments without hearing the tone of voice or context he's delivering them in.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, just like MOS' muted colors and Terrence Malick-y teasers gave that movie the appearance of class and thoughtfulness.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Having a laugh" does not necessarily mean that the speakers are just pretending and actually know better. Often it means they're ridiculing something that they genuinely don't understand or don't care to learn about, and such ridicule can be extremely hurtful.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Goyer gets a bit tangled up in his words, but it sounds like he wasn't saying She-Hulk was created as a character for the Hulk to actually have sex with in the comics, but that she was a sexualized female version of the Hulk and that boys who imagined themselves as the Hulk could then imagine themselves having sex with She-Hulk.

8. Christopher

^Which is still WRONG. Being wrong is not an entitlement to be defended.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I'm not saying he shouldn't be criticized, but any criticism should accurately reflect what he said and not be based on a misinterpretation of what he said. Some of the transcripts of what he said have actually been changed, putting words in quotes that he didn't say.

10. davejames

God forbid someone crack a joke about a fictional superhero character.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

So a guy whose creative output varies widely in quality, but who is instrumental in paving the way for the long-term success that follows?

12. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

And people wonder where the phrase "nerdrage" came from.

13. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

What was the funny part?

14. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Not to be "that guy," but yeah, we know. We've been talking about it for over a hundred posts now. :)

Though it might be a good idea to get this thread retitled, or start up a new one, now that Dawn of Justice is officially in production.

16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

17. davejames

Hell if I know. I didn't listen to the podcast. I just don't see the harm in someone talking crap or making fun of a comic book character.

I can love the medium while also being fully aware of how inherently silly the whole thing can often be as well.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

You can download the podcast here. There's a part where they're riffing on various approaches they could take to adapting some comic book characters to the screen. Many of the suggestions are tongue in cheek. The Hulk discussion takes place in that context and starts at 30 minutes and 38 seconds.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

If people joking about a fictional and fantastic jade green superpowered woman is the most hurtful thing that ever happens you, I don't think you have very much to worry about. And if something like that does hurt you, you might want to think about developing a thicker skin.

20. Christopher

When did we get to a point as a society that being unfair is something to be defended and advocating fairness is something to be chastised? What is so horribly wrong with pointing out the objective fact that David Goyer was incorrect about She-Hulk? There's no dispute about that -- he did not know what he was talking about. It is not wrong to say that. And he doesn't deserve to be defended for being wrong.