MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Snif.... snif....

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

In the 9th inning of the All-Star Game, JJ Hardy refuses to man the shortstop position and gestures to the dugout for Jeter.

Initially reluctant, Jeter is eventually overwhelmed by the adoring crowd and wheels his Segway out of the dugout. The goofy smile eventually disappears and is replaced by tears as he approaches the position.

Joe Buck helpfully informs the audience that they should be feeling emotion.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The terms "Joe Buck" and "emotion" have never belonged in the same sentence.

4. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Maybe, everyone hates him; even his union.

5. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

If the Phillies even make the post season. :lol:

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Last I heard, I thought it was unlikely we'd get Burnett. At this point, they're paying the roster together until the current group is too old to walk and hope they get lucky. As long as they don't trade away prospects, I'll be ok. I just won't expect much.

ETA: Rubin Amaro's nickname in Philly right now is Ruin Tomorrow, so I don't know anyone who has faith in him.

7. Timby

Yeah, the Phillies are a dumpster fire, which is why I have to laugh at them having the most expensive rotation in all of baseball. When you know the Braves and Nationals have the division locked up for the foreseeable future and the Mets are starting to come out of their financial dungeon, you don't spend a bunch of money to get older and more blissfully mediocre. (Two-year contract to 36-year-old Marlon Byrd with a vesting option, what the fuck?)

But the biggest thing for the Phillies has been age catching up to them. Looting the farm for Hunter Pence came back to roost. Losing Halladay and Howard, along with Utley for swaths of time, meant that there was basically no one to hold the lines. (I will make fun of the Howard contract -- which probably made Vernon Wells blush -- until the end of time, but to be entirely fair to Rube, no one could have expected Halladay's arm to just up and die.) Then Ruiz was suspended, Pence was no longer superhuman and subsequently traded, etc. Basically, they're an old team with old team problems, and there's no real relief on the way from the minors for like three years at best.

Given the second wild card, it's not totally out of the question for them to make the playoffs in '14, but basically everything would need to go right (Brown, Burnett, Byrd, Revere, Utley, Howard, Asche, Ruiz, etc.) and almost nothing to go wrong -- and now that Hamels has an undisclosed shoulder injury and says he "hopes" to pitch in April, something very big has already gone wrong.

Basically, they need a Fabergé egg to survive being shot from a cannon, and the odds of that are ... not particularly great.

8. Yanks

Wow... someone besides the Yankees is old and messed up? :D

9. Timby

Well, the difference is that the Phillies got old and shitty because Ruben Amaro, Jr., is a certifiable moron.

The Yankees got old and shitty because their ownership decided to intentionally go dumpster diving for several years.

10. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Heh, that's just the Phillies feeling the pain that the Yankees seem to keep just avoiding and kicking the can down the road another year due to increased resources. Stems from the exact same problem, though. Outbid everyone on older players by adding years to the contract. Which then comes back to bite them because older players are older. Eventually, it starts to pool up, and roster is all old and can't play anymore.

11. Yanks

Hey, the cybermetrics guys say that A.J. is worth every penny.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Speaking of the Phillies: Jim Fregosi has died :(

13. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Braves lock up Julio Teheran for 6 years at 32.4 million. Club option for a seventh year included. Not bad. Can't wait till Uggla comes off the books in a couple years. The B.J. Upton deal is going to give me an ulcer though. I can't believe I'm going to have to endure that shit for more than half a decade.

14. Yanks

B.J. is from my neck of the woods. 179 pounds of fast twitch muscles :D

Always a bit of a head case though...

15. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't want to hear anything about the poor braves having to pay Uggla. The Mets are paying Bobby Bonilla until 2035.

16. Use of Time

Then we are from the same area. My younger brother was high school teammates with Justin Upton at Great Bridge High School. B.J. went to Greenbrier Christian, both schools in Chesapeake. We hung out with Justin a couple of years ago when he was home for Christmas. Their father hangs around the high school as an unofficial batting coach. My brother owed his college scholarship to Manny Upton's tips. I love B.J. to death but he was tough to watch last year.

17. Yanks

Nice!

There was quite a crop of baseball players that made it to the MLB from this area.

David Wright, Zimmerman, the Uptons, and the first one was
    Michael Cuddyer.

My son played for Tallwood High School.

18. Use of Time

I was a freshman pitcher that was asked to pull bullpen duty for varsity when Cuddyer was on the team. The one game I dressed for varsity he was the starting pitcher. He struck out 14 guys and hit two homeruns.:lol: I didn't get to play in that game.

Later on I had the honor of serving up a 400 foot bomb to David Wright. Needless to say this place has become a hotbed for baseball players. Dan Hudson is one of the latest.

19. Yanks

Awesome stuff!! Really cool.

My son ended up choosing football. I wish he had chose baseball. Oh, well. Football helped pay for college :D

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I was living in Chesapeake during my freshman year of high school. Went to Deep Creek that year. Don't think there were any famous baseball players in my class, but I did go to school with DeAngelo Hall (NFL cornerback).

The whole Hampton Roads region seems to be a good source of skilled athletes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.