Angel: After the Fall -- 13

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tharpdevenport, Oct 28, 2008.

1. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Just got it today.

Like I said before, it's extremely obvious where Joss is putting all his effort into when you read BTVS S8, Serenity, and Angel at for a few months.

Angels is almost everything it could have been, while Buffy is so bad I think thinking about stop buying it and selling my S8 collection. And the art work is dreadful.

After reading #13, I am left with one thought: WHOA -- exactly what the fuck just happened with Spike?

2. FALCONX0N

FALCONX0N Captain Captain

I have to admit, I about dropped the book when Spike...
    was dusted, but then I realized it was from a Slayer- -and that just seemed right. If Spike is ever going to go out, it should be a Slayer that does him in. Poetic, that way. But I think we're supposed to realize that the building Gunn set up- -the Building Gunn inherited, really- -has some sort of immortality curse on it. So when Angel bites it, he'll come back, and maybe that prophecy will reset. Or maybe that's the plan- -when Angel dies, and comes back in that building, he comes back evil, and is on the big scary apocalypse side....
    ...or maybe not. This series has me guessing again, and that's fantastic!

3. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

These spoilers make me so happy I could cry.

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you actually read to the end of the issue?

Spike didn't die. He came back 5 pages from the end. It's something to do with a spell or somesuch at "Hotel Gunn" that brings folk back when they die there.
    Go back and look at all the previous issues, it's the same three Slayers over and over that Gunn and his minions are killing in the basement (and in Spike: ATF #3 too)

Whereas it seems Gwen Raiden and Cordelia the Dragon are dead for real.
    Felt for poor Cordelia the Dragon though, got the shit ripped out of her! Literally

And we'll have to wait and see if Fred is dead again or not next issue. Given the cover it would appear Gunn's plan is to unleash Illyria in her true demonic form.

Not really seeing the problem with the artwork in Buffy s8 myself. I like it, but its nowhere near as good as Angel:ATF
    Takes too long for anything to frakking happen. In Angel's 13 issues about 10 times as much stuff has happened than in Buffy's 18

Btw, the final part of Spike: After The Fall (#4) is out on Wednesday 29 Oct

5. tharpdevenport

Oh, I read the whole issues, it's just:

I didn't reecognize the slayers, and what Spike said made it sound like perhaps Wolfram & Heart had something to do with it.

But an even BETTER question is:

Is it a curse? Can they even leave the building now without the spell loosing affect? This could explain Angel possibly leading the minions of death. He can leave the building, but he'll die and Gunn's part in the equation is that he siers Angel so he'll be alive again -- but this time evil.

6. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just don't want Illyria to be killed. I like her character too muc to see her written out. Fred, I feel had a good send off in Hole in the World. Not to mention we saw in the series and the Illyria one shot that Fred was "infecting" Illyria and making her more human.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn I have to purchase the first two hardcover volumes soon. Shouldn't have clicked on those spoilers...

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I stopped collecting after issue five.... I really need to start catching up!

9. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm still waiting for the trade paperbacks. Every time I pass by the hardcovers, I'm tempted to open them up and read there and then in the bookstore... my resilience is slowly wearing away.

Creditorly yours, the Rent Woman

10. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^ What's wrong with getting the hardcovers? They really are a work of art. Really beautifully presented, great extras- scripts, all the covers, sketches, original ideas, etc. There's even a bookmark

One thing I love about Angel: ATF is the awesome covers of late. Notably the Alex Garner ones. Excellent
    [​IMG]

11. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hate hardcovers. I find them a pain in the ass to read and transport. Also, I have to live frugally, and comics are already a luxury; I can't justify spending more for a product on the basis of format when the content is the same (by which I mean the story - won't much care if the extras don't make it into the trade paperbacks), particularly since I don't care for that format specifically.

Creditorly yours, the Rent Woman

12. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

To be honest, I'm not really as into the current Angel (and Spike) comics as the Buffy ones. Sure, a lot of 'cool' stuff's happening, but it just doesn't have the same magic about it. It's like a Michael Bay movie in comparison to Buffy's LotR.

And the artwork doesn't help. When Angel was talking about the room spinning and Gunn was asking what was going on, it took me a while to realise that the slightly more shitty painting style in that frame than the rest of the shitty looking comic meant something was 'going on'.

13. FALCONX0N

FALCONX0N Captain Captain

I agree, to a point. I don't think the art is necessarily bad, but it seems to often fail in communicating what's going on properly. Sometimes I need to reread to get the jist of things.

However, as great as the storyline to Buffy S8 is, Angel's metaphorical Season 6 is just so much better. Though with that being said, After the Fall was concieved as more of a mini series, while Buffy Season 8 is, well, season 8...and by my count, around the 6-9 episode mark. Usually where things start to heat up and get to the main plot...

14. tharpdevenport

Joss should have just kept the same artist from "The Astonishing X-Men"; now he did some very find work that would have really helped BTVS S8.

I've made up my mind, after the next issue, I'm dropping BTVS S8. Probably sell my collection.