Does anyone remember Superman II novelization?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TrickyDickie, Mar 11, 2012.

1. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did a web search and didn't come up with anything. I would swear that there was one. Last Son of Krypton and Miracle Monday both had white covers and spines and as I recall Superman II had a black cover and spine. I can remember having all three books side by side on my book shelf back in the 80s. Now, it is as if the book never existed. :confused:

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do not remember a SUPERMAN II novelization, and that's definitely something that I would have bought. MIRACLE MONDAY did have a SUPERMAN II photo insert though.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

That must be what he is thinking of. Neither Superman The Movie or Superman II had novelizations. Only the third and fourth films did and where more aimed at young readers.

Same thing with comic book adaptations, none for the first two. Which is surprising. Comic adaptations and novelizations where very common in the late 70s and early 80s. Even Swamp Thing and Supergirl had both.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  4. Peak

Peak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't remember that. I do recall seeing one for Superman III, though.

I will say that Last Son of Krypton and Miracle Monday are two of the best Superman stories I've read. I really like Maggin's take on the Superman character and his world.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Superman III was novelised by the same guy who did the adaptation for ET. The spectacularly named William Kotzwinkle.

7. TrickyDickie

Well that's mighty weird. Because I even remember what else I had on that shelf too. Three Buck Rogers novels: Armageddon 2419 A.D. by Philip Francis Nowlan, the movie novelization by Addison E. Steele, and That Man on Beta, also by Steele. I also had 3 Flash Gordon books: the movie novelization by Arthur Byron Cover, and the first two books of the six book set by David Hagberg: Massacre in the 22nd Century and War of the Citadels.

Here's another thought: Anyone know of an alternate cover/spine for Last Son of Krypton that was in black instead of white? I have been known to collect multiple copies of the same paperback book when there are alternate covers. I had several versions of Blish's Star Trek 2. :o

And yes, I do remember that Cover's Flash book had a black....cover. :p

8. Dantheman

Dantheman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I heard the reason Supermans I and II didn't have novelizations and comic adaptions was because Mario Puzo, who wrote the screenplay for the first Superman movie, had a clause in his contract that said his screenplay couldn't be adapted to other literary forms, with him being an author and all, thus the reason why the Elliot S Maggin books The Last Son of Krypton and Miracle Monday have Christopher Reeve photos on the covers and pics from the film.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The Puzo thing is before my time, but, yes, screenwriters sometimes have the right to veto a novelization, or they may have language in their contracts requiring that they be given the option of writing any novelizations themselves, which they may or may not waive later.

I recall pursuing the novelization rights to one movie, which shall go nameless, only to discover that the screenwriter would only allow the publication of his actual screenplay, not a novelization thereof. So there was no book.

10. qwuit

qwuit Guest

This may be the 'Last son of Krypton' apparently
    :rofl:[​IMG]

11. TrickyDickie

Seems to be a broken image link there....

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

13. TrickyDickie