Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. snakespeare

snakespeare Commander Red Shirt

Crossing Indira Varma off my list. After reading Losing the Peace, I have a different image of Choudhury, and I don't see her in that role.

But going back to the discussion of aging in the ST future, I suppose a 40-year old human woman in 2381 might look similar in age to a 25-year old woman in 2010. So I think a younger actress could do. The trick is, she'd have to pull off the character, and Choudhury would require subtlety. She doesn't show much, so the actress would have to show her feelings without typical theatrical exagerations. So a younger actress with a lot of depth could do just fine, I think.

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I tend to think of Jasminder more in terms of the character's energy than appearance, and the only actress I can think of whose energy feels like hers, to me, is Morena Baccarin from Firefly.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Make it Morena Baccarin from V and you may be onto something. In that show, she projects more maturity, serenity, and power, befitting Jasminder. (If you overlook the fact that she's the villain.)

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know we haven't seen much of her character yet, but what about Necar Zadegan, from the new season of 24? I'm mainly thinking about looks here, since we haven't seen much of her yet.

5. Christopher

Going from photos and height (5'9"), she seems to have potential. Otherwise, I couldn't say.

6. CaptainGren

CaptainGren Ensign Newbie

Sorry about going back to an old discussion, but what about Zooey Deschannel as T'Yrssa?

7. Christopher

Since when was Zooey Deschanel Asian? Besides which, I'm just not fond of her in general.

8. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^Didn't she "go asian" two weeks ago thrusday?

9. Christopher

I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't follow her career.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

:eek:

This is the most wrong thing I've seen all day.

Zooey is is perfection. She is just... Zooey. And that suffices.

For the record, I wouldn't cast Zooey as T'Ryssa. That would be a waste of Zooey's essential Zooey-ness.

Her costar from Winter Passing, Amelia Warner, is closer to how I envisioned T'Ryssa when I read Greater than the Sum.

And yes, I recognize that Christopher says the character should look Asian. Which Amelia Warner does not. But she is Liverpudlian, and that's close enough.

11. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I was just kidding around. But I can't tell if you are. I was implying that she all of a sudden turned into an Asian woman last thursday, which is of course, impossible. I should have put a ":p" or a ";)" to better emphasize that I was joking.

And now the joke is ruined :evil:.

12. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

how the slag is Liverpudlian close to Asian?

13. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Just because T'Ryssa enjoys sex and enjoys sex with multiple partners, either at the same time or on separate occasions in no way shape or form makes her a "slag" :rolleyes:

As for Liverpudlian = Asian, I suspect Allyn is actually meaning her attitude towards life, the universe and everything.

14. Allyn Gibson

Bingo! :)

15. snakespeare

snakespeare Commander Red Shirt

If she looks Vulcan, it's all a matter of makeup, and anyone can play her. If she looks half-human with Asian features, what is non-Vulcan in her Asian features? They both tend to black hair, and the eyes aren't all that different. Her blood is green, so the skin color will be done with makeup, too. Her mother's first name is Greek, so what percentage Asian is she, really? This is hundreds of years from now, and offworld. The racial blending could be vastly different from any 21st century human appearance. I don't see why the actress has to be Asian.

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

wrong type of SLAG!

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And this is the most right thing I've seen all day. :techman:

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have no idea what kind of a reaction this will get, but what about Michaela Conlin from Bones.

19. Christopher

No idea. I don't watch that show. I like Emily Deschanel even less than her sister.

20. Allyn Gibson

The more I think about it, the more I think she would be passable as T'Ryssa Chen. She's not out-and-out wrong for the role.