Trip Asking for Prime Rib

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by The Master of Tarquin Hill, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I only thought of that because I used to have a role-playing character that I developed a backstory for. She was from a cannibal tribe, and it had religious significance for them. They'd eat the raw flesh of friends and loved ones after death in some big ritual banquet. They believed that allowed the departed's soul to live on in them. For enemies though, they would cook the flesh first, believing that destroyed the soul. Part of the inspiration for the backstory had to do with reading about an actual tribe discovered in 1914, though I think the raw/cooked business was my invention.

teacake likes this.
  2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well in the case of your RP character, I don't think that'd exactly count unless she's friends with the test tubes.

3. Saganistheman

Saganistheman Lieutenant Red Shirt

Think I will just stick to my Soilent Green washed down with a large glass of Tatooine Blue Milk :drool:

4. Hazel

Hazel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Do people really believe plants feel the same was as animals do, or is it just something to say to annoy vegans? I've never found scientific evidence that points to plants experiencing pain - I mean, they lack a central nervous system.

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Plants are living things no less than animals. Whether they experience pain is irrelevant to that fact.

6. Hazel

Is it irrelevant? Vegans don't want to cause pain or suffering to any animal as far as possible. Plants aren't animals and don't suffer (as far as we know.) It's not about having a perfect ideology of veganism that is impenetrable to inconsistencies: it's about limiting pain :)

7. Melakon

If you're going to rule out once living things, that either limits us perhaps to fruit, nuts, berries, and honey (since natural water from a stream has microscopic life forms), or starving to death.

teacake likes this.
  8. Gov Kodos

So, their lives are irrelevant to you, enjoy.

9. Hazel

*shrug* I just don't get why people apparently object to vegans eating plants. Like I said, it's about not causing animals harm, to the best of human ability. Maybe you (general you) think it's an arbitrary delineation, but hey - that's just how vegans do. :D

10. Hazel

Whut? Why so defensive over plants - do you not eat them at all?

11. Gov Kodos

It's not the eating plants, it's the claiming some moral superiority while still eating living things. Some living things are just more equal. It's your hypocrisy that is objectionable.

12. Hazel

Who is claiming superiority? As I pointed out, vegans are against exploiting animals. Not plants. You could make a point that it's hyopcritical to not exploit animals, yet still use a computer because that has certain animal-derived components, but I don't see the hypocrisy in what you've argued.

13. Gov Kodos

So, some lives are more equal than others and deserve better treatment. You've said that. Enjoy.

14. Hazel

Everyone does that. So, in turn - enjoy your food, and we'll agree to disagree :)

15. Gov Kodos

:beer:

16. Melakon

Every time this thread shows up on the main page, I think about how much I miss having a steak, pork chops, bacon, fish, or a cheeseburger. Or even a chef's salad.

teacake likes this.
  17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos is that Emily Litella?

18. Gov Kodos

Men will tell her? Tell her what? Why do people start questions and never finish them? How is a person suppose to answer a question when... Ohh...

[​IMG]

19. Melakon

Cheez Wiz, if that was up back when I was going on about chef's salads, I didn't notice it. A friend came by with a plant I'd ordered, but it wasn't any of that other stuff mentioned in that post either. After examining it about fifteen minutes, then a screen refresh, I didn't even glance a notice. Out of the corner of my bad(der) eye, I thought it was that Abrams dude.

Edited to add, I only mentioned that other stuff again in case anyone thought the delivery was for a sandwich.

teacake likes this.
  20. Gov Kodos

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPQFQzSxxR0[/yt]