You know what I wish we saw in Star Trek 2009?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Rock, Apr 25, 2013.

1. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

During the sequence where prime Spock is mind-melding with young Kirk, when it shows the space scenes of the 24th century from the prime universe during that sequence, I wish they had shown a prime universe Starfleet ship (like a Galaxy or Sovereign or Defiant class) flying around space. Or maybe Geordi LaForge (as a small cameo) helping prime Spock build his Jellyfish ship (as was shown in the Star Trek Countdown prequel comic to the movie).

What do you think? Would you have liked to see something like that?

2. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I would've like to have seen the spacedock from the original movies (mushroom style one) and generally the production design closer to the movie-era and a proper engine room with warp core :) NO BREWERY. I can almost picture Scotty standing next to a pipe with a valve on it, anti-clockwise = more warp, clockwise = less warp :p

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FTFY :p

4. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It sounds like a good idea to me....

5. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think I hear a fan edit calling. Clips of Geordi from either "All Good Things" or "Timeless" would be perfect for the job, probably Timeless moreso.

6. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Spock: "Erm, sorry Jim, you weren't supposed to see that. I had a hell of a weekend on Risa, that's why I didn't reach Romulus in time..."

8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Is that what it takes to get aRisa out of Spock in his middle years?

That 'valve turn-left-goes-slow/turn-right-goes-fast' line makes me think of those two barrelled phasers in the Abrams that look like garden hose nozzles. The pain, the pain ...

what I wished I saw in the movie? No point in saying I wished I saw something of the real characters instead of these animated shades, because that is too obvious and also too big of a wish to be granted. But I'd have liked to at least have seen an SF movie with just the slightest bit of credibility in storytelling and/or science. They pile up indignity and stupidity one after the other, till that 'escape the black hole' lunacy that would have hurt my opinion of a good movie but just reconfirmed my feeling about the whole thing with an extra little kick in the ankle about how megadumb this all was.

And of course at least 9000% less lens flare. TMP-level is probably about right, though you could have pushed to DIE HARD 1 level and it might have been beautiful (and actually appropriate instead of becoming willful fetishistic destruction of the filmed image.)

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

We were lucky enough to get Nimoy, so that's enough for me.

10. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Again I must ask, what would the two of you want as director and writer for the two movies if it wasn't Abrams, Orci & Kurtzman?:vulcan:

11. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Abrams as a director. The lens flares don't bother me; in fact I quite like them.

As for the writers, I would have gone a bit left field and asked someone like Neil Gaiman or Grant Morrison if they fancied a crack at it. At the very least it would have been infinitely less vanilla than baddie on a big spaceship blowing stuff up (which it looks like we're getting for the 3rd movie in a row...).

12. Shaka Zulu

^Hell, I proposed that JMS and Peter Jackson write and direct future Star Trek movies in another thread, and I got my ass handed to me on a platter!

13. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I didn't see you ask previously. Part of me would say anybody but Abrams, going by the fact I haven't enjoyed anything he has directed, though I found CLOVERFIELD pretty okay for the single viewing.

Since POTTER #3 (which revived my interest in all things Harry after having all anticipation destroyed by the pedantic first 2 Potter films) and especially CHILDREN OF MEN, I always wish for Cuaron to be involved in anything genre-related (that view might be revised when GRAVITY comes out, but I'm still hoping that it turns out to be as phenomenal as CoM.) He might seem a way-out-of-trek-league choice, but I think he may have talked to the Bond people once, and if that is true, then TREK can't rank TOO much lower.

If you were to go character-oriented rather than SF-oriented, I'd probably go with some totally out-of-the-box choice (and have to lower the budget accordingly.) Just like it was a surprise Dean Parriot could deliver GALAXY QUEST so well, I think somebody like the writer/director of THE STATION AGENT could probably mine the characters effectively.

Those choices are writer-director combos, which outside of Meyer hasn't happened with TREK. Whedon would've been another such choice pre-AVENGERS, especially since FIREFLY seems more TOS-like than any of ModernTrek or the Abrams stuff.

Up until OUT OF TIME I would have put Andrew Niccol up there with Cuaron, but now I am wondering what the guy is smoking, because the promise of GATTACA and his original draft of THE TRUMAN SHOW just ain't paying off as of late.

As for director- and writer-for-hire choices, would have to give that a bit more thought. With the inconsistent way credit is awarded for writers, it is always harder and harder to ascertain who wrote what ... look at Logan's record and you can see that while he had a hand in scripting many films, most of his fingerprints were burned off when comparing his work with the actual films, he just often had the 'in' of being first writer aboard, which makes qualifying for credit much easier w/ respect to WGA.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seeing Geordi in the flashback would have been kind pointless, IMO. I liked Countdown, but the movie makes it pretty clear the Jellyfish is a Vulcan ship design. Seeing a brief shot of Ambassador Picard, on the other hand, would have been very cool indeed.

15. Shaka Zulu

As I mentioned above and in another thread, I'd like to see both JMS and Peter Jackson do a Star Trek movie; both men have proven themselves adept at doing SF & F movies/TV shows/comic books-who knows what they could do with Star Trek? Edgar Wright might be another, or even (if he's still directing) Peter Hymans.

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Someone said that it would have been the perfect opportunity for us to see an older Kirk and I agree. That could have been Shatner's cameo.

17. GMDreia

GMDreia Commander Red Shirt

I wish we'd seen some Andorians and Tellarites and others walking around in the background. Abrams-Trek gives us even more of the impression of a human dominated Federation, moreso than the original series even did.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't doubt JMS' ability to do a Trek film, I'm just wondering why he would want to. He spent all that time on his baby Babylon 5. Why would he want to "jump ship", as it were? Especially since he thinks Trek (DS9, specifically) ripped B5 off?

19. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I would love to see some Andorians in the next movie. They have not been in any feature film to a large degree and I would love to see them as a major plot point.

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Not here, please. That is a discussion which rarely goes any way but poorly, it is one which is in no way pertinent to the topics discussed in this forum, and any attempt to pursue it will be summarily nuked from orbit.