New TNG

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by dan_bevan, May 22, 2009.

1. dan_bevan

dan_bevan Lieutenant Red Shirt

If you had the chance to go back and do a reimaginging of TNG, what would you change about it?

For example, as there is more prosthetics available now would u change the look of Data to make him look more robotic or futuristic?

Would u change the uniforms or any of the characters?

2. Quest_techie

Quest_techie Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I would skip the early season uniform agony. skip some of the more agonizing stories they did, and make the whole series more flowing and less episodic, Lore would have been characterized differently, and troi wouldn't have spent as much time getting raped by aliens

also, there would have been a writers bible, that explained that a galaxy class ship could cut a marauder class ferengi junket in half with one shot.

wesley crusher would have been killed off, and the best and the brightest of starfleet, flagship crew would have solved problems, like they were supposed to, more character driven.

it would have occurred more inside the ship, yes, battles, absolutely, please, more of them, but we would be more about exploring the characters. who they are, instead of constantly making them react.

3. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

i would like that after they run with this nuoldtrek crew that they move on to redo the next gen. tng has always been my trek.

4. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A few ideas:

I would give data more capabilities, like a built in tricorder and communicator. He would also interface directly with the ship's computer. His emotions, rather than being granted by an emotion chip, would be restricted by one he is unable to remove.

Wesley would not be a child genius and would suffer the most horrendous acne. He is a burden on Beverly.

Bev did not want to be on the Enterprise and her resentment toward Picard would occasionally froth to the surface, causing moments of aukward silence.

Troi would harbour some serious emotional issues, because of her talent, but would never be able to let it show because of her position. She remains onboard to be close to Riker, with whom she is obsessed. Riker has pitty for her, and looks out for her, but they both know they'll never be together, and he looks, searches for a way out.

Picard is deeply troubled too. Extremely repressed he retreats to long dead worlds at every opportunity, wishing he too had gone the way of their inhabitants.

I would also change the ambient sounds on the ship, the low hum of the engine sounds would be replaced with an electrical buzz that would increase in volume when ever a character is seen alone.

I would use more natural light on the ship, giving the impression of illumination from local stars, similar to Generations, the light source would move, altering the shadows and creating an illusion of ship motion.

There would be more shots of the crew stood by windows, looking out wistfully on the rest of the universe. The starscapes would be more vibrant too, with vast clusters of stars and nebula etc. The trek galaxy would be populated by all the fantastic sights the Hubble Telescope has shown us.

CGI would augment the alien characters to give them unhuman features. Impossibly shaped torsos, longer/shorter necks/legs/arms etc. Bigger eyes, extra fingers. Extra limbs. Anything that can't be done with bits of rubber.

The turbo lifts would have two sets of doors and a small gap between the carriage and the deck, like real elevators. The ship schematic in engineering would be 3D and zoomable.

5. BigC

BigC Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wesley Crusher would have been aborted by a drunken Beverly while vacationing on Risa.

6. BoxWhatBox

BoxWhatBox Commander Red Shirt

Agreed.

Wesley would have been a child genius, whose superior intellect slowly drove him insane, ultimately resulting in him never being admitted into the Academy. Ultimately he is sent to a Federation Think Tank for theoretical engineering. Also maybe some undertones that he was a serial killer.

Add to that tension from an attraction they she refuses to admit.

Agreed.

I'm not sure I can get on board with this idea. I would rather see Riker be a manifestation of her emotional damage. Riker is dead, has been dead since the incident that created Tom Riker. She knows it, but still allows herself to endulge in the dillusion.

That would be very cool. Sexual repression.

I prefer the current sound.

Agreed

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Got a few recasting names...

Picard: Wentworth Miller
    Worf: Christopher Judge
    Riker: Brian Austin Green
    Data: Alan Tudyk
    Yar: Katee Sackhoff
    LaForge: Harold Perrineau
    Crusher: Elizabeth Mitchell
    Troi: doesn't much matter, since Troi and not Yar should get killed this time round, preferably in the premiere episode
    Q: Armie Hammer (and make him more vicious)

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I would have made the Ferengi more sophisticated businessmen types in their first appearance who employ more brutish mercenary races for thefts and raids on other races instead of the snarly little trolls. The appearance can stand though. The Ferengi would use their economic prominence and prowess to protect themselves by monopolizing resource trading in certain business sectors that the Feds can't openly antagonize them otherwise the Ferengi screw up galactic trading and economies for the rest of Known Space (other than themselves since they'd have surplus amounts of credits and resources in unmarked accounts and caches for emergency recessions). An enemy that can't be beaten by an actual weapon since their power is beyond military control.

And I'd make the Cardassians more prominent from the very start.

Romulus is a good free world where the civilians live good productive lives and they just happen to be antagonists to the Federation WITHOUT being so obviously bad. I mean as it stands they never really delved deep enough into the Romulan culture anyways and they used the Military Dictatorship stuff for the Cardassians (to their benefit). Why not have the Romulans turn out NOT to also be a Military-Ruled Empire but a pleasant place that just happens to oppose the Feds?

The Romulans can be a democracy that respects its' people without having the exact same values as the Feds, perhaps they see it as okay to go around settling on worlds with native populations and interfering with their development as long as they get a new world. Maybe they just feel they have a manifest destiny (which is pretty much canon...) and the Feds are an obstacle.

The Klingons being basically Feudal Japan in Space would be more emphasized with how the Empire is not one unified Empire really but several House-dominated regions that take orders from the Emperor (the High Council is made up the House Reps or House Heads themselves) in matters that concern the Klingon people as a whole but each Region is near-autonomous in terms of values and cultures set by the House Master.

Cardassians, keep them as is.

9. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

I'd cast an actor with hair. While Picard is a wonderful actor; his hairline doesn't really say "future" to me.

10. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Or that Picard being bald is a personal aesthetic choice. He, like many people today, could prefer that look over a full-head of hair. Sometimes I shave my hair because I like it. Sometimes I grow it out. Some balding men get toupees or plugs. Some don't.

11. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

He wasn't bald, he still had hairs on the sides of his head.

That might be a aesthetic choice, but seeing as the rest of the haircuts are quite 'normal', I don't think that's the case.

Besides, I've never heard any man saying "I'm going bald, but it doesn't matter; I like it better this way". :D

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Maybe not today, but in a future full of all sorts of cool (and horrifying) aliens all around I think people would take less issues with baldness. More like "I'm going bald, but at least my forehead is smooth!"

Or just get the guy who plays Picard to shave all his hair off including the sides.

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have had more recurringg bad guys. The show felt too "alien of the week" and with a show like Star Trek you can do nice arcs with stand alones.

The Ferengi would have been smarter bad guys, Romulans I would have used a hell of a lot more, along with Tarsha Yar's daughter. That was a great storyline that really could have went somewhere through the years that didn't.

14. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always thought Jude Law would make a good Picard.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

One thing that set Picard apart from Kirk was the age difference when we first met him. Picard was supposed to be about 60 years old in TNG S1, so a guy in his late 40s at least should play Picard.

16. cybersoldier

cybersoldier Commander Red Shirt

Perhaps just have Patrick Stewart play picard if he's interested

17. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

:wtf: Really? Where did you hear that? Sounds strange since Patrick Stewart was in his late 40s when the show started and only hit 60 around the time of "Star Trek: Nemesis"!

18. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, he's in his late 60s NOW.

They couldn't have been very optimistic of long-term sucess of TNG if they want a Captain in his 60s from the beginning.

19. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

I wouldnt have set it that far ahead. I would have preferred the Next Generation to have been the Next Generation, and not 3 or 4 generations later. Enterprise B era? Earlier? Maybe throw Saavik on there. A reimagined Generations could have been a baton toss.

Id keep the basic TOS Movie era uniform, but not the crimson/burgundy color. And alot more robots and androids. I think in our own lifetimes we will see alot more daily robotics, and certainly they should be alot more common in the 23rd Century.

20. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Oooo, good choice I think :techman: