February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 9 2014, 11:48 PM   #91
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Re: 'Relics': missed opportunity?

BillJ wrote: View Post
"Flashback" was terrible.
Somewhat, yes. But he didn't say it was a good *episode*, he said it was a good way of bringing an old cast member back. And he's right, and if the episode had been well done *aside* from that, it could have been awesome.
BillJ wrote: View Post
Not likely since Guinan was alive and on Earth in the late-19th century ("Time's Arrow").
Ah, but Scotty wouldn't have known that until she straightened him out on them matter, and that could have been amusing.
Old January 19 2014, 08:06 AM   #92
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Re: 'Relics': missed opportunity?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
Why would a civilisation so incredibly advanced choose a dying star to build such a structure?
IIRC, no age of that Dyson Sphere was mentioned, so I presume it was very, very old and built long before the star was dying.

MikeS wrote: View Post
Like others, I find the idea of a Dyson Sphere fascinating and would have loved to have seen the exploration of it spread across a couple of episodes with or without the talents of a legendary Starfleet engineer to help.
Unfortunately, such amazing discoveries mostly served as a backdrop for the story. You all remember Picard's awe in "The Chase"?

PICARD: I never thought I would see a Kurlan naiskos. Fifth Dynasty? Well, the overall configuration is certainly Fifth Dynasty. The surface ornamentation. Green polychrome over the eyes, and the eyes themselves are closed. This is third Dynasty. From the workshop of the Master of Tarquin Hill.
PICARD: Will, the Master of Tarquin Hill designed ceramic objects that were three hundred years ahead of their time. All we know of him is the work. His name has never been discovered. This object is over twelve thousand years old.
RIKER: The planet Kurl? It's a hell of a long way outside Federation territory.
PICARD: Indeed. I thought your study of Kurlan artefacts was done long ago.
GALEN: I happened to be in the neighbourhood last summer. I couldn't resist. Go ahead.
PICARD: You mean it's complete?
(Picard raises the top half of the pot to reveal a cluster of little pots inside it)
PICARD: Will, the Kurlan civilisation believed that an individual was a community of individuals. Inside us are many voices, each with its own desires, its own style, its own view of the world. The Kurlan civilisation died out thousands of years ago. It is extraordinarily rare to find a figurine intact. Professor, this is an incredible find.

Well, what happened to this priceless you-could-probably-buy-a-planet-with-it relic?

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...ionshd2130.jpg

Picard just left it behind in the wreckage of the Enterprise...

Bob
Arghhhh!! This is criminal!!!!! It's not the first time TNG does this. They did the same thing with the TKON Empire and the Iconians!!!!

Awesome epic stories to be explored simply brushed aside as archeological "footnotes" to show the captain likes archeology

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Frankly, I think Scotty's participation in "Relics" hadn't been entirely thought through.

In the holodeck scene Picard tried to connect to Scotty. Well, his Stargazer was a ship design Scotty had probably mostly seen blueprints of in the 23rd Century, so it might have been interesting for Scotty to learn how the actual ship performed.

But it's the end of the episode I really didn't find convincing. Already during the course of the episode it had been made clear how alone he felt in the 24th Century.

So what's the solution? Give the man a shuttlecraft, get him off the ship and let him handle the ultimate loneliness he will surely encounter boxed into a small shuttle among the stars.

Bob
Same here. I found it strange. I would have liked the Enterprise to go there directly and at least drop him off.

I'm at least glad they didn't kill him off in some clique heroic way.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I sort of liked the ending to the episode but I agree on scrutiny it doesn't make much sense. Would it have been that much more difficult for the Enterprise to take Scotty to a Starbase or the nearest Federation planet?

It's also set-up odd. Scotty tells Geordi, "Well I thought you were going to buy me a drink in 10-Forward?"

Geordi says, "Actually, I have a better idea..."

And then they go into the shuttlebay and kick Scotty off the ship.
I'm glad someone else caught this. I too found it strange.

It's like: "I thought you were buying me a drink in 10 Forward?"
"Actually, I have a better idea, how about we kick you off the ship and we can all get back to our lives before you showed up?"

That's how I took it.