February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Second Nature.
Outstanding 13 23.21%
Above Average 29 51.79%
Average 11 19.64%
Below Average 2 3.57%
Poor 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 31 2014, 05:30 PM   #121
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile
Re: SKRS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Just posted my review. I really enjoyed this one! This series is off to a great start. I've started on book 2 now, and I'm loving the direction things are going. Can't wait for more Seekers!
Old September 1 2014, 06:47 AM   #122
JD
Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
From Star Trek Movie Memories - pb version - page 366:

When I initially read that line, I requested that Nick change it. I just couldn't imagine Kirk, even after the death of his son, being *that* rigid, *that* cold, *that* unfeeling. At the same time, you couldn't doubt for an instant the dramatic strength of Nick's scripted moment, and while I failed in my attempts to come up with an alternate line of equal strength, I nevertheless came up with a compromise that would've made me feel a lot better. Kirk would indeed say, "Let them die," but almost immediately, his face and hand movements would have made it clear that while those words had exploded out of his mouth, he didn't really mean them. "Oh shit, I'm sorry I said that," he'd imply visually, and with that addendum, I found myself much more comfortable playing the scene. I told Nick about it, he liked the idea, we shot it, and months later, when I'd come in to record Kirk's lines for a couple of scenes, I couldn't help but notice that Kirk's facial reaction to that particular line had been cut. I cornered Nick about it, and he immediately told me, "Okay, sure, we'll put it back in." I'm still waiting.
There isn't anything in The View From the Bridge (Meyer's memoir) about it directly other than GR not liking the Klingon's appearing sympathetic and the bigotry amongst Enterprise crew members ("they all look alike").

I find the Shatner quote odd because it does seem like Kirk's own surprised reaction is in the film. I don't know if that differs between publicly released cuts, though.
THey did make some changes to the edits over the years, for instance the Collectors Edition DVD shows flashes of the different conspirators when Valeris names them, but that wasn't on the original VHS version I used to have. Maybe Kirk's reaction was also added in somewhere after the theatrical release.
Old September 7 2014, 10:02 PM   #123
PaulSimpson
Writer/Editor

We're a bit behind getting them over here - but here's my review of the first Seekers book. Very much a worthy successor to the Vanguard series (and did I spot some little digs at Star Trek Into Darkness?)
http://scifibulletin.com/books/tie-i...second-nature/
Old September 7 2014, 10:33 PM   #124
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

PaulSimpson wrote: View Post
We're a bit behind getting them over here - but here's my review of the first Seekers book. Very much a worthy successor to the Vanguard series
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

(did I spot some little digs at Star Trek Into Darkness?)
Not that I was conscious of.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2014, 09:26 AM   #125
PaulSimpson
Writer/Editor

David Mack wrote: View Post
PaulSimpson wrote: View Post
We're a bit behind getting them over here - but here's my review of the first Seekers book. Very much a worthy successor to the Vanguard series
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

(did I spot some little digs at Star Trek Into Darkness?)
Not that I was conscious of.
The subconscious ones are the best!
Old September 12 2014, 10:41 PM   #126
vegaslover62
Lieutenant Commander

Location: 2112 Rivendell, Xanadu. In the Lakeside Park Subdivisions on the beautiful Bacchus Plateau

Something Captain Khatami said brings up a fair point raised by Stargate SG-1:

Why would the shields be at anything other than full power?
vegaslover62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2014, 12:19 AM   #127
Christopher
Writer

vegaslover62 wrote: View Post
Something Captain Khatami said brings up a fair point raised by Stargate SG-1:

Why would the shields be at anything other than full power?
If the weapons or other hazards being protected against are known to be mild enough for the shields to handle at reduced power, then that could allow saving power for when it might be needed later. Usually, though, the only times I can think of when shields haven't been at full power is when they've been damaged/weakened.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2014, 03:01 AM   #128
vegaslover62
Lieutenant Commander

Location: 2112 Rivendell, Xanadu. In the Lakeside Park Subdivisions on the beautiful Bacchus Plateau

I'm referring to the fact that Captain Khatami ordered them to be at full power, with Klingons in the system, and a threatening alien artifact. Sounds like a totally superfluous order.
vegaslover62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2014, 04:16 AM   #129
Christopher
Writer

Orders need to be clear and precise, so everything is understood and on the record. If they aren't made clear, then the person receiving the order won't necessarily make the same assumptions as the person giving them.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2014, 11:35 PM   #130
Jedi Ben
Lieutenant Commander

Really liked this. An excellent pick-up from Vanguard that isn't intimidated by its illustrious predecessor. In part, that confidence can be seen in the link to the Shedai with the Tomol. Sure, the Shedai are out of the picture but the idea their legacies remain is a good one, especially for this opening arc. Wouldn't want it brought up all the time but here it fits.

The Klingons, in their guise of adversaries, work well too and seeing Kang turn up is a plus.

As for the ending.... Well, it would have been an evil cliffhanger indeed had I not had the second book on hand....
Jedi Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2014, 06:54 PM   #131
Sran
Fleet Captain

The first installment of a new series is always exciting. Second Nature was fun and enjoyable to read. I hope the rest of Seekers is as well-done.

What I liked:
  • The Tomol are a fascinating species; their links to both the Preservers and the Shedai are nice tie-ins to both TOS and Vanguard.
  • Nimur reminds me of Jean Grey following her Dark Phoenix transformation: I hope she has a better end than her counterpart.
  • Terrell's crew reminds me of the early days of DS9, as everyone seems to be feeling one another out: Terrell offers a nice balance between giving orders and taking advice from one's crew; he's in charge, but everyone gets a vote, which works well on such a small ship.
  • Khatami and Stano seem like fascinating characters; I'm not sure what to make of the tension between them that surfaced near the story's end, but I'd imagine it's something that we'll see more of.
  • Kang. 'Nuff said.
What I didn't like:
  • Dastin: he's self-assured to the point of being cocky, and cocky gets you killed in outer space; I'm surprised Theriault didn't smack him at least twice.
  • Theriault reminds me of Ezri after she was joined; I'm not sure if she has the makings of a first-officer, though I'm willing to reserve final judgement until she's had time to grow into the role.
--Sran
Old October 5 2014, 08:16 PM   #132
Claudia
Fleet Captain

Quite late in joining this thread. *g*

I voted average because after having read the whole Vanguard-series in one go, Second Nature felt a bit simplistic in its straightforwardness (if that's a word *g*). I'm looking forward to how the dilemma of the Changed is going to be resolved because the people were essentially puppets (or even constructs of) for the Shedai and the Preservers from what I gather, and they shouldn't be held accountable for the Change itself. Of course, abandoning practically all morals by using their telekinesis is a different story. So, can there be one thing (the Change) without the other (acting without conscience or regard to other living beings)?

The other thing is that I can't really relate with the crew of the Sagittarius so far. They are a bunch of highly capable people - but somehow they lack depth (so far). Always having a witty phrase on your lips doesn't really tell me anything about what's making them tick. And Theriault... I don't know, but she really rubbed me wrong because she criticized (again with those one-liners) more than she actually showed any leadership qualities. And to think that I really liked her back in Reap the Whirlwind... I think that there's real potential in this crew (and I quite like Hesh and Sorak), though, once it gets a bit more 3-dimensional beyond being cool and brilliant.

Last edited by Claudia; October 5 2014 at 08:43 PM.
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote