My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't they make a holo-replicator? That way, it would use "holodeck energy" but create real stuff. When they eat in the holodeck, are they eating holo-food or "real" replicated food?

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I've watched all but the last 3 episodes of S1, and in one trip to the holodeck, Harry is worried about drinking late at night, and Tom says something like "it's Holo-alcohol", so, yea, I think it just gives you the impression you are eating or driniking, but, no substance.

3. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

Holograms can be augmented with force beams to simulate solid, tangible objects or with replicator technology to create actual solid matter such as foodstuffs. All food eaten on the holodeck are replications. No other type of simulation would survive outside of the holodeck.

From Memory Alpha.

4. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved that site, and loved this comment...

If Lizard is your power animal, heed your own intuition before anyone else’s.

Sounds like Janeway to me! ;)

5. Qutluch

Perfect comment for a Captain. Check out my thread on Spirit Guides. I posted more from that website!

6. Shatnertage

That's a pretty cool new avatar. ;)

7. Qutluch

Thanks Shatnertage. It is an awesome avatar! Well done.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In my favourite episode Muse, they both make out with Tom Paris at the same time.

9. Qutluch

Heroes and Demons

Harry Kim is in the holodeck, and cannot be reached. Tuvok and Chakotay go in manually to find him. Kim has created a program based on the epic poem, Beowulf. When he goes missing, Tuvok and Chakotay search the holodeck for him. Freya confronts Tuvok and Chakotay and after she describes Beowulf (Kim). Tuvok responds, “Grand Eloquence notwithstanding that would qualify as a description of Kim.” I love this! Even though Kim is somewhat growing on me I still enjoy a good guffaw at Kim! They have some great costumes in the holonovel. Why is it that the crew does not automatically change into the appropriate costume when they enter a holoprogram?

I like Tuvok and Chakotay’s chat on demons in human culture. Chakotay explains that giving demons physical form in heroic literature allow humans to cope with their darkest emotions. Tuvok responds that such fables are necessary in cultures that unduly emphasize emotional behavior and that Vulcan literature does not contain any demons. Chakotay retorts that that is the reason why Vulcan literature is not popular! (And why Klingons made Opera cool again…)

While going through the censors they find that Kim was probably converted into energy when Grendel “killed” him. Photonic energy leaked into the holodeck and the conversion nodes were contaminated. Tuvok and Chakotay are “killed” (converted into energy) by Grendel too. Paris suggests that they send the Doctor into the holodeck. Kes suggests that the doctor pick a name before he leaves so he feels more like a Starfleet officer... “All hail Schweitzer!” Schweitzer? Albert Schweitzer…a medical theologian? How anti-climactic, and more importantly, what a horrible name!! Why is it that Unferth’s hand is injured when he brings his sword through the doctor when he is in his incorporeal form? How would that injure him? The scene with Freya and the doctor makes me wonder if he is “fully functional” like Data….

To make a long, somewhat overdone, story short (and I was so hopeful for a good doctor episode), Freya steps in the way and saves “Schweitzer” from Unferth. The crew found that Grendel is a life form and that until the Voyager hands over the samples they have (which are actually life forms) Grendel will not return their personnel. The Doc is successful and Tuvok, Chakotay, and Kim are all back safe and sound. Janeway tries to make the Chief Medical Officer feel better and asks for his official name and sure enough he decides to not keep it because the name’s memory is too painful. Why does the Doc have emotions and Data (originally) did not? How does the Doctor’s technology work? Why is it that he can only roam around in the holodeck and sick bay? I would think that with the advanced technology they could make it possible for him to go anywhere he wanted on the ship….

Favorite part: Tuvok and Chakotay’s discussion on why Earth’s literature has demons in it and the Doctor’s decision not to keep his name!!

Least favorite part: Why doesn’t the holoprogram put the crew in costume? It would be so much more fun if the crew was in appropriate costume! I loved Worf dressed up as a cowboy in DS9 (Fistful of Datas)!! Can you even imagine the awesome costume they could have given Janeway when she was hustling pool in Paris’ holoscene?

10. JanewayRulz!

Harry was in costume. Tuvok/Chak and the EMH weren't because they were on duty looking for their missing crew, not playing.

I think the EMH was programmed differently, therefore he had what he perceived was emotion at this early stage. He was programmed with " two thousand medical reference sources and the experience of forty seven individual medical officers". I suspect that experience includes a fair amount of "emotional" bedside manners. Some good and some not so good. That bedside manner allows him to relate in a way Data never could.

As for relating like Data... a mild spoiler is the EMH isn't "fully functional". :alienblush:

Yet. :bolian:

11. Sindatur

I liked this one quite a bit. I always appreciate a SciFi show's episodes about "Alien" Aliens. Most aliens, especially in Trek, are just "forehead" alterations, so when they do non-bipedal aliens, or aliens that live in space (The Nebula or Whale-like aliens living in Space, etc) I appreciate it, even if the episode misses the mark.

Regarding Unferth's injury, he swung full force at the Doctor, expecting the sword to make contact with flesh, it didn't, it kept going, gathering more velocity until it hit the ground, and that impact would cause you great pain in your hand(s).

Marjorie Monaghan (Freya) is not a great actress, but, I enjoy watching the roles she is given, because she's often well cast for that specific role

Holosuite costumes, I don't think it would be practical having the Holosuite create a costume image for you, plus, getting dressed up in costume, before going in, is part of the fun, and getting you into character, it also, often gives other characters great lines commenting on the costumes someone is wearing on their way into or out of the holosuite (See DS9)

12. Qutluch

I agree that it would be more fun to design your custome and have it made by the replicator, but seeing how they have a replicator energy shortage wouldn't it be more prudent if the holosuite generated the customes for now? I do feel like the doctor should have been in custome though. His goal was to basically infiltrate the holoprogram to get Chakotay, Tuvok, and Kim back. It would have been more exciting to see him "play the role" and try to fit in while pulling off his mission!

I liked their choice of actress for Freya too. She didn't have the most exciting part, but she died well!

13. JanewayRulz!

14. Qutluch

EEEK, no I did not. I can't imagine that as a good fit...

15. Sindatur

T'Pau or T'Pol, I'm very glad she didn't win either of those parts, I'm very happy with the portrayals we got. However, as stiff as her acting is, I think she would be a natural for a Vulcan

16. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree.
    Lots of folks say Avery Brooks and Kate Mulgrew sucked but has anyone ever seen Patrick Stewart in character and do a scene that involved crying? He's terrible. Picard was nearly Vulcan at times he was so introverted emotionally. I found Brooks and Mulgrew IMO brought color to their characters by giving them more vibrant personalities.

17. Shatnertage

I found Brooks to be excellent when he was really engaged with the material. Much of the time I found his approach too theatrical for TV.

I think Mulgrew was great as Janeway. I've talked about it before and I'll talk about it again, but it was the little things she did that really made you believe she was emotionally in every scene. There were definitely problems with Voyager, but Mulgrew's acting wasn't one of them.

Not to derail Qutluch's thread, but I think they took Sisko in the wrong direction. I liked how they started with him, as a single father doing his best to raise his son and make the quadrant a better place. The stuff with him being quasi-divine, to me, made it difficult for Brooks to make him a character you could relate to.

Janeway, I think, is someone that a lot of us can relate to. She's in way over her head, she knows it, but she's got to keep herself together for the sake of her crew, who are relying on her. I've never been stranded in the Delta Quadrant, but I can relate to her on an emotional level.

18. Qutluch

I don’t mind a derailment to make a couple of comments on Sisko. I really liked the story line in DS9 and Sisko’s role, which was really defined in the beginning but lost its focus, especially in the end. As Shatnertage points out he had two main goals: being a good Dad and making the Quadrant a better place to live. In the beginning he did a great job, but the ending of DS9 was lacking. It’s like the writers just didn’t think about it in full-circle. He started out one way and by the end it was all about him. How do they not have a goodbye episode with Jake? Jake was Sisko’s life. I would even argue that in the beginning it was more important for Sisko to be a good Dad than a good Captain…. In terms of acting, Avery Brooks had a great smile! He could be heart-warming when he wanted to be, but his acting was often too rigid and when he was angry the acting felt too scripted. On to Janeway, her character’s role is a tough one. They started out on one mission and got thrown into what seems like an impossible situation. How do you keep moral up in that situation? She has to be strong and confident, but a little more understanding than the Captains in DS9 or TNG. She also has to define her own mission now; unlike other Captains who are in contact with the Federation. Everything that the Voyager does is reflective on her and only her; not the “higher ups.” Mulgrew does do a great job with the acting (for the most part). She moves more than Brooks certainly. What I mean by that is when the camera is not focused on her she still has facial expressions and gestures that make the role more exciting and realistic. I like that. She is more lively and it fits her role as a Captain on a mission gone awry. I could go on longer, but alas I must cut my post short…I am at work...

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Didn't see a problem with Picard being more introverted emotionally as you put it. But then again perhaps that could be down to the fact that being a Brit we usually frown upon showing too much emotion.

20. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm coming to this thread a bit late, and I know I don't post here as often as I'd like, but welcome to Trek BBS and Trek in general. I love Star Trek and Voyager's my favorite series out of all of them. You'll love it.