Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I just want to say how much I've enjoyed lurking in this thread. Great work.

2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Harvey, best of luck on the move. I think I speak for everyone when I say we can't wait to read more.

3. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While it goes off the premise of "fact checking" the book, I would love to have some sort of definitive answer as to when they switched from using the "electric violin" version of the main theme to the Fred Steiner arrangement (the cello theme). The original DVDs don't get it quite right, since multiple people remember The Corbomite Maneuver having the cello theme. Since the theme was recorded in those same sessions, according to the LaLa Land TOS Soundtrack notes, that 10th aired episode would be the latest it was introduced. However, Balance of Terror and What Are Little Girls Made Of were also recorded the same day.

The guys who worked on the CD set couldn't find that information, so I'm wondering if it's listed in the files anywhere else.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The UCLA files have some memos about the music, but nothing that I've found says anything about when the new version of the theme began being used in season one. Unless the Roddenberry estate has files about this unavailable at UCLA, I suspect it will remain a mystery.

5. Ssosmcin

That's too bad, but thanks for that at least. Damn. Now I wish I kept by crappy old audio tape recordings I made waaaay back then.

Keep up the amazing work. :-)

6. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In syndication since the early 70s, the electronic version was used in the first five aired episodes. Even though "Corbomite" was first in production order, it aired later - hence the cello.

7. Ssosmcin

The cello theme was actually recorded in the same session as the Corbomite Maneuver score, so it couldn't have been used before it was available (easily the most obvious thing I've ever said), which was only a few weeks after the premiere anyway. So that fits, but I always thought Mudd's Women had the electric violin theme. However, I was a kid, so I'm more than willing to be wrong.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The first part of my piece about "A Private Little War" this week. Entirely introduction, but I need this material to last a few weeks while I job hunt. Got hired by a good temp agency here, which is good. Now I just have to hope they can find me a good, long-term assignment. Fingers crossed.

Scheduled a visit to the archives for next weekend. Hopefully I'll turn up something interesting.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Can't wait to read more, Harvey. :techman:

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Best wishes for the job search, Harvey!

I watched "Private Little War" several times while my computer was down last month. Comparing the Nona bathing scene in the episode against the blooper reel, they sure must have spent more than a few minutes shooting footage of Nancy Kovack they knew would never make it to air. There has to be a juicy story there.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm 99% sure there is, and it's in Inside Star Trek: The Real Story.

As I recall, the producers made sure they shot quite a bit extra footage of Nona and included it in the rough cut. That way, when NBC objected, they would have plenty of material they never wanted to cut out, while leaving in what they wanted in the first place.

At least, that's what I remember. Someone with the book handy could verify that.

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Yes, I've read Inside Star Trek, and I think there's something about the censor nearly falling over because a nipple was visible in one shot.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually it was just a bit of "sideboob." The standards of the day were a lot more restrictive than they are now.

14. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Falling over to get a better view, no doubt. :techman:

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think this is in the Solow/Justman book, but this letter was sent to the production after screening the rough cut:

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Bob Justman in IST (on pp. 355-6 of the hardcover) reports a verbal conversation between himself and someone at Broadcast Standards. But apparently that was before Robertson screened it separately for NBC's Program Department.

17. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Excellent intro, Harvey. I know you will do this piece justice. Good luck on the job hunt.

Sir Rhosis

18. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's Alexander's typo. His book isn't as bad as anything self-published, but there are some odd ones that made it through. I'll add the [sic].

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral