Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Brogue refers to particular accents. Irish and sometimes Scottish.

2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks. My dictionary offers me the shoe, the Irish accent and "Boston Brogue", but not the Scottish accent. I knew the word "brogue" only in relation to Scotty.

3. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Burr" seems to be preferred for Scottish, "brogue" for Irish.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And I've seen both English and American writers refer to each other's accent as a "drawl." But then, a lot of English people seem to think that all American accents are Southern or cowboy accents (which is what Americans would generally use "drawl" for), to judge from some of the fake US accents I've heard in British TV.

5. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

There is no fitting German word for "burr". My dictionary offers me `to burr´as to speak slurred.

Most Germans mix their national dialects with their English (Saxon or in my case Frankonian). It sounds odd. I hate to speak English in front of a camera :sigh:.

My favorite (German) band is often criticized for their fake American accent in their songs. So what, it's part of their show. They have a band member I mistook for an American. He is from Manchester/England. Ooops. Wearing Stetsons doens't make you American.

6. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    That's a fact. And being Scottish, it always make make laugh (or is it cringe?) when you watch either "Murder, She Wrote" or the Voyager holodeck program, in how they both portray Scottish or Irish accents!

Music to the ears it's not!;):guffaw:

Mark

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You want a laugh. Check out Quincey Morris's dialogue in the novel Dracula, which is Bram Stoker's idea of how an American cowboy talks:

"Why bust my britches, Miss Lucy, if you ain't purtier than a Texas sunset!"

(Okay, I may be exaggerating slightly, but only slightly.)

There's a reason most movie adaptions leave him out of the proceedings . . ..

8. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Francis Ford Coppola used him, and made his dialog more realistically American. He was played by Billy Campbell, our own Outrageous Okona even.

9. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He was also in the 1970 Count Dracula with Christopher Lee (played by Jack Taylor) and the 1977 BBC version with Louis Jordan (as "Quincey Holmwood" played by Richard Barnes) amnong others.

10. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, the claims of Russian (and Soviets) inventing everything was a well known joke (based on actual claims).
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/88802.stm

11. FormerLurker

Various different stage and film productions have given us combinations of Doctor John Seward, Quincey Morris and Arthur Holmwood, the three suitors of Mina's friend Lucy Westenra, usually all-in-one as either John or Arthur Holmwood. I even remember a comic book adaptation for Classics Illustrated that did this. They most often use the Holmwood surname as he was the one that had won her hand before Dracula turned her into a vampire.

12. MGagen

MGagen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I had a nickle for every movie that promised it was faithful to the source material and turned out to be some director's self-indulgent "vision"...

14. Christopher

Well, of course, there's no way the novel Dracula could be translated verbatim to the screen, because its structure is far too specific to the print medium. It's an epistolary novel presented as a compilation of articles and interview transcripts, an investigative document constructed by Mina Harker as a tool to help Jonathan and Van Helsing solve the mystery of Count Dracula. So the process of the manuscript's own creation is itself a key plot point within it, and at times it's practically an advertisement for that amazing new invention, the typewriter. It's basically the print equivalent of a modern found-footage movie like Chronicle. Its story is so intimately entwined with its medium and structure that you can't translate it to another medium without losing key elements or rendering them meaningless distractions. So any screen or stage adaptation has to be only an approximate telling.

15. Greg Cox

What's really funny is that there was a novelization of Bram Stoker's Dracula (by Fred Saberhagen), as opposed to, you know, Dracula by Bram Stoker.

This, of course, led to Saberhagen being billed on later book covers as the "New York Times Bestselling Author of Bram Stoker's Dracula."

Really.

Oh, just to bring us back OT, here's a trivia question: Which TOS guest-star also played Dracula?

No, William Marshall as "Blacula" doesn't count. :)

16. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Charles Macaulay was Dracula in Blacula I believe! Landru and Jaris!
    JB

17. Greg Cox

And we have a winner!

18. FormerLurker

While there are 'articles and interview transcripts' in the book, it is actually mostly composed of journal and diary entries, and letters between the principals. One of the first, if not the first, is the one Dracula sends Jonathan Harker, that is the opening voiceover in Coppola's film. At the time this motif of storytelling was popular, and Stoker apparently thought it best to express his story this way.

19. Christopher

^Yes, of course epistolary novels were common at the time. Frankenstein is essentially in the form of a character narrating a story of how another character narrated a story of how a third character narrated a story. Edgar Rice Burroughs always passed off his novels as true accounts related to him by the parties involved. And of course Dr. Watson was the purported author of Sherlock Holmes's adventures. And so forth. But Dracula took it to another level by, as I said, making the construction of the narrative itself a key plot point of the narrative, rather than simply a way of documenting it after the fact.

And yes, you can do a voiceover reading of a text passage in a film, but if you tried to do an entire film that way, to do a literal, line-for-line transcription of the novel, it'd be a boring and poorly structured movie, because prose and film are different media with different strengths and requirements. So the only thing that's really "Bram Stoker's Dracula" is the book itself. Any film, no matter what you call it, is going to be someone else's alternative way of telling the story. And that's exactly what it should be.

20. Greg Cox

Stoker is generally believed to have been inspired by Wilkie Collins, author of The Moonstone and The Woman in White, who employed the same epistolary structure in his highly popular mystery-suspense novels.