The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Breaking news at Jedi Temple Archives:

Not only is the Walgreens-exclusive 6" Prototype Boba Fett starting to hit that chain, but a few people have also found 6-inch Wave 5! That's the very first wave in the new, slightly redesigned blue-striped window boxes (Darth Vader, Jedi Luke, Chewbacca, Sandtrooper Corporal with black pauldron).

If you have a Walgreens (or several) in your area you might want to check and see what's being stocked! The Prototype Fett was scheduled to be released at the end of August and was expected, but the appearance of Wave 5 figures wasn't. The price for 6" at Walgreens seems to be $19.99 each (about the same as the big box retail chains) but I imagine your mileage will vary depending on location.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has there been any talk about doing a "The Clone Wars" or "Star Wars: Rebels" wave for the Black Series? Especially "The Clone Wars". I'd love to pick up an Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka.

I assume they'll do Episode VII Black Series as well?

3. cooleddie74

Well, they did Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka for the Vintage Collection in 2012 (as realistic, movie-style versions of their Clone Wars selves). If you mean animated style figures like we got before the TCW action figure line ended? There are no plans to revive them, at least not anytime soon.

There are TCW characters coming in the 3.75" Black Series line (realistic Captain Rex, Commander Thorn and Commander Doom to name three) but Hasbro and Lucasfilm aren't doing much with the TCW characters right now because of the launch of Rebels and the production of Episode VII. I suppose realistic versions of Rebels characters could get made and released if there's enough of a demand for them and the series is popular.

If I had to guess I'd say the Black Series won't last much beyond the premiere of Episode VII, at which point the new movie's figures will mostly be released in a separate Episode VII figure line or lines and collector-focused, premium figures based on the previous films and TV series will be in a different figure line.

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

There's certainly going to be a point where Episode VII will take over the toy shelves. I can only hope that the 6" collector series continues, whether it's called the Black Series or not. I would imagine we'll get at least a couple waves of VII 6" figures before the previous films start trickling back in during the time in between films.

5. cooleddie74

One thing's for sure: for the first time since 1999 the attention on the Prequels will be light at best. They'll crank out some Prequel figures here and there to satisfy the marketing needs of the entire Saga and the wants of some younger collectors, but from this point until Episode VII the focus will be overwhelmingly on the classic films and Rebels.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I figured with Disney pushing "Rebels" (and rightfully so) that "The Clone Wars" would be put out to pasture.

7. cooleddie74

A few new figures here and there, but yeah - the previous series is taking a rest for now. Since it's still fully canon they'll revive it at some point, with the 10th anniversary of the show being in 2018 we might get a lot of new and revisited characters made right before and during that timeframe. There are still some popular and important characters from the show that never got made into 3.75" figures, animated-style or otherwise.

8. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'm usually rather lazy about taking pics of my figures, but yesterday I finally received a long -awaited figure in the mail. So I'm finally ready to post some pics of one of my major scores over the past year, Generations Metroplex.

Overall, I think they did a nice job of updating Metroplex while keeping a lot of his G1 elements intact. Scamper is included, and I obtained some good third party versions of Six-Gun (Six Sigma in the case of this figure) and Slammer (Tower Tank). More on those later.

Robot mode:

This version of Metroplex is just slightly taller than the G1 version of Fortress Maximus, the largest figure in the original line. He has lights and sounds that run on two AA batteries. I tried to get a pic of his eyes and chest glowing, but it didn't work out. :p

[​IMG]

Metroplex's visor can flip up or down to accommodate his animated model (which had a visor) and his original toy, which had separate eyes. There are a ton of stickers, which add a nice variety of detail.

[​IMG]

Front view, holding black rifles. These can also mount on Metroplex's shoulders, and the one on the left has more detailing because the Six Sigma figure includes extra stickers. Unfortunately, it only includes enough for one rifle even though Six Sigma is designed to use both. Metroplex also has a large red rifle similar to the weapons carried in his G1 form, and a convention exclusive version had twin red rifles in place of the single Hasbro version. This rifle shoots a plastic missile, so perhaps the second gun was eliminated for safety as well as cost reasons.

One of the cooler features on the updated mold is the left shoulder turret. The G1 mold had a fairly simple twin cannon in this spot, but on the Generations version it's a full turret that flips open. Scamper or another Legends class figure can sit in the seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back view

Moving on to Six Sigma (Six-Gun), there are some nice features. The robot mode is really well sculpted and very much an improved version of the G1 figure, who was basically a tower connected to all of Metroplex's weapons. This figure is on the Voyager scale, meaning he's about the size of a G1 combiner or a megazord, and that scale is probably more accurate since parts of him turn into weapons scaled for Metroplex. Six-Gun only made one appearance in the animated series, and his character model seemed to be scaled in the range of normal sized Autobots (way too small).

[​IMG]

In keeping with the design, Six Sigma's legs turn into rifles similar to the G1 weapons. As seen later, the rest of Sigma turns into an artillery station that can connect to city mode. The twin turret can also attach to Metroplex's back, as seen here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Front & back views

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Six Sigma has a pretty good range of articulation, and Slammer can also serve as a weapon for him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Metroplex's rifles can connect onto Sigma's arms, since the G1 version of Six-Gun literally had the black guns as arms. There is a version of the Sigma mold available with red arms, since the animated model used them, and I decided to go with black for more of a toy accurate feel. I find the rifles work better when attached to the lower posts, since the two possible mounting points don't completely match up.

Scamper:

The original Scamper was solid black, and it's nice that the updated version includes a little more color. I do kind of wish that the Hasbro version included the larger chest sticker that was used for the Takara version, as the instructions actually show that version instead. This Scamper has better articulation and his own weapon, although there's also some nice molded guns on the arms. The G1 version's arms were made from rifles which attached to the car roof in vehicular mode.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tower Tank/Slammer:

Tank isn't all that different from G1 Slammer, who was basically a tower with a gun attached. The main advantage with this mold is that the tank form is a lot more defined, and he can still form a tower for Metroplex.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tower mode

[​IMG]

Metroplex's posse

Battle Station mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Missile pod, similar to the G1 version. Sadly, that one was chromed. :p

[​IMG]

Repair arm

City mode:

[​IMG]

Metroplex's right arm forms another Legends-class manned turret in this mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Six Sigma's turret form is something of a mixed bag. The instructions suggest it should be mounted in some smaller holes at the rear of the helipad, but I found it easier to use one of the odd red arms whose function isn't really clear. The single biggest problem with this mode is that the twin turret doesn't peg into anything for stability, as it does in robot mode; it just kind of rests on a pair of fins and relies on gravity to support it. This wouldn't be so bad if the mounting was less awkward and perhaps I just need more experience with using the two together.

One complaint I've heard is that the red leg guns can't be used as weapons in Metroplex's vehicular modes, and it's true that they're not designed for use in the fortress mode. They lack the pegs for connecting. However, I've noticed that they can be used in city mode by resting on top of the front gates, as seen in these pictures. They're the most hollow part of the Sigma mold since they have to change for legs, so it's an okay fit in my book.

[​IMG]

Slammer connected to Metroplex

[​IMG]

Right repair station

[​IMG]

Left repair station

[​IMG]

Helipad. As mentioned, no one is entirely sure what those red bars are supposed to do. They only seem accessible in city mode but don't connect to anything.

[​IMG]

Metroplex's head forms a control station in his non-robot forms.

[​IMG]

Control station panels

[​IMG]

Right bay

[​IMG]

Left bay

[​IMG]

Heavytread guards the front left corner. I'm rather pleased with how this shot came out, considering it was probably the hardest angle to shoot. :lol:

9. cooleddie74

:eek:

Now THAT'S a post.

:beer:

Well done, man. Well done. They look great. Those are some most impressive pics!

10. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

There are Bif Bang Pow 3.75 inch Firefly and Terminator figures out at TRU. There are supposed to be Alien figures too but I didn't see any, must have sold out. They are also supposed to have Universal Monsters coming.

Saw 5 PoA Thor and Loki at Family Dollar. Look like they are based on the Avengers movie. Thor's hammer and Loki's helmet are separate accessories. Based on this release, the only movie Avengers missing from 5 PoA are Hawkeye and Black Widow.

CCC.

11. cooleddie74

^
    I know Kira's Mom would love to get her hands on some 5-POA action figures of Hawkeye and Black Widow! Every new version of them she can find leads to some quite awesome photos and stories. :)

12. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

I like the 5 PoA for customs. They are cheap to work with and the sculpt is more basic, especially on Cap and Spidey. I would love to see a 5 PoA Widow to see what I could do with her.

CCC.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Metroplex looks extremely awesome. but for the size and cost...i just know i'd end up selling him off in two or three years. i really don't have room for Primus and a few other large TFs.

14. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: I've never seen those.

I've been looking at an Eagle Moss Black Knight figure. Anyone have experience with those?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  15. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Bif Bang Pow doesn't make figures for those licenses. I believe you are referring to the ReAction figures, which are from Funko and Super7.

16. cooleddie74

I like the concept of the ReAction figures but the execution isn't all that great. The figures based on the original Terminator look too goofy and cheesy even for gimmicky toys deliberately designed to imitate the less-sophisticated and accurate 3.75"-scale action figures of the early 1980s. I'll give them plenty of points for trying and tapping into a collecting market that enjoys the style of the toys that were played with in the eighties, but the execution could be much better (especially at premium $10-and-up retail prices).

The Alien and Back to the Future figures are probably my favorites, though, and the ones that look the best.

17. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I think this is the first time I realized the board has a 40 image limit per post. Usually when I post pictures, I might use half of that at the most or less. :lol: I eliminated some less important pics for that reason, mainly Metroplex's eye options (the visorless one came out blurrier than expected) and a shot of the shoulder turret's seat. While Six Sigma has a few flaws, I think he's a pretty well made figure and I don't regret the purchase at all. Having a fully functional Slammer is icing on the cake and it's nice to have a more complete modern version of Metroplex. :) There is at least one other third party version of Six-Gun available, but it's not as G1-accurate as Six Sigma and is more of a partsformer. It can turn into several weapons that Metroplex can hold and its parts are actually compatible with the Six Sigma figure, but it can't duplicate the tower mode the way Sigma does.

19. cooleddie74

Hey, for once this board had a sprawling, epic wall-o-text that was actually worth looking at. That's no small feat. ;) Glad you like your new acquisition!

20. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

BBP was who they were credited to on the Mego list, and was the site the link took me to. I rarely look that close at the cards. As for the figures, they remind me of Fisher-Price, although the Alien figures are supposed to be better. Word is they fired the guy who did Alien and someone else did the other lines. I will need to see some Alien next to the others to decide if I want them, otherwise I am waiting on the Universal Monsters line. They are supposed to be adding more characters like the Invisible Man and the Bride of Frankenstein to the line.

I also saw reference to Flash Gordon figures too.

CCC.