The starship Enterprise NCC-1701(A) appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Gary7, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

There have been numerous threads about the original Enterprise across the years, but I'd like to start one that pulls together a collective of references. This can be anything from real models, CGI models, shots of the studio model, details on model building, or what have you. Anything.

My favorite Enterprise of all is the NCC-1701-A. It's the most viable looking ship, as I see it. But still, the original has a special place in my heart. It's the one that started it all. And really, compared to so many other spacecraft that have been conceived of over the years since the 1960's, I still think this is the one that is the most enduring.

Here's a video clip done by Charles Casimiro:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDknRFS0_Nk[/yt]

He also has a gallery with some terrific still shots.

I also found a CGI interior tour that's pretty cool. The good stuff starts around 2:55.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't have any pictures, but I'll just add that the Constitution refit, as first seen in TMP were just the most absolutely beautiful ship in the history of Star Trek.

3. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

Sort of agreement. I thought the original was BEAUTIFUL in '66. In '79 she got sexy alright. But that original was sheer beauty, compared to flying saucers and Buck Rogers' thick sparklers of the day. And to this day, I still feel the Enterprise was as much a character as the "Big 3." I mourned her death in III as much as I did Spock's in II. And of course in my book, the A was not the Enterprise (as evidenced in the much maligned scene where Scotty hits his head).

4. sbk1234

That original was a beauty, too. I see it as the original was a youngster. There's nothing as beautiful as your child. The refit was after puberty, fully adult.

5. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll just leave it to the scientific expert....

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyUN5vG1T8k[/yt]

6. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

^ The jury is in, then. Nothing beats the original Starship Enterprise... no bloody A, B, C or D! :techman:

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

LOL, your thread title led me to believe that you wanted to make an appreciation post for the actual Enterprise-A, which I found odd, as it was only seen at the tail end of one film, seen as totally defective in another film, and seen as a bunch of unconvincingly-redressed TNG sets before being decommissioned for absolutely no good reason whatsoever :)

8. sbk1234

Well said!!! TRUE, TRUE, TRUE!

(By that, I mean the video.)