If You Could Re-Imagine the Constitution-Class Refit...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CuttingEdge100, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Sin87

Sin87 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I find it bad how everyone lays into JJ for the design of the new Enterprise dispite the fact he didn't design it.

2. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

And guess who set the direction and signed off on it, being the producer and all... :vulcan:

3. Sin87

JJ may have signed off, but he still didn't design her. I remember a bonus part on Star Wars Ep III DVD where George Lucas stamped the concepts of which he felt would work best for General Grievous. I believe JJ would have done the same processes with all the new Enterprise concepts & until someone shows JJ actually designing her himself then I think we should all stop blaming him for how she looks.

Look at the bigger picture & stop trying to wish the 2009 design style was the 1966 Tos or 1979 TMP Connie as design styles change, like with music groups such as The Madness are still enjoyed, but would we really like to hear the same style which is quite bad when compared to today's artists.

4. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Uh, no, he's still responsible for how the ship looks, because he set the direction and approved the final design. He might not have drawn her up himself, but he told the person who did what he was looking for and approved what was drawn up - he is responsible for how the ship was designed.

No one even brought that up, but once again I love how there's no in between with some people - it either has to completely redone or exactly as it was in the '60s. :vulcan:

5. Sin87

I love the past, present & all the other Connie designs that fellow fans have done, but I strongly believe that things need to have a total overall as every now & again as things must be reinvented or they must & will meet a slow death. I do think it should have been more like the 60's version, but when compared to any other recent sci-fi show or movie would look way to old.

As for the person who designed the new Enterprise was Ryan Church who also designed the Arc-170, Venator-Class Star Destroyer & most the concept art work for Star Wars Ep II & III. Also he may have done the Tripods from the new "War of the Worlds".

6. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

No, they just need writers and producers to avoid falling into formulaic and cliched plotlines, and to remain creative. And this reboot is frankly just dime a dozen, what with all the recent remakes coming out recently and in the near future.
    That's why you use this modern CGI capability we have now to modernize the existing design and make it more realistic, not redesign it based off of '50s vintage cars and change a good chunk of the show on a whim. But this is the argument for another thread. ;)

Again, JJ Abrams is the man in charge, he gave Ryan Church the direction to go in, and approved the final design, making JJ Abrams ultimately responsible for the design. No one has said Abrams designed it himself, most of us know who put the actual pen to paper, but artists don't just draw up whatever the hell the feel like, they get directions from the producer(s).

7. Sin87

I do !

8. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True, and the same is true for the original Enterprise, but we still call that one Jeffries' Enterprise, not Roddenberry's.

9. Sin87

Exactly the point I've been trying to make.

10. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Depends on who you talk to. I personally call it the TOS Enterprise.

11. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

I call it the TOS Enterprise too

12. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Deg3d's new design (http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=56599) but the thing that bugs me the most about the design is the thin neck that connects the saucer to the engineering section. It's got to be at most 3, 4 metres wide? IMO it needs to be at least twice as thick in order to be feasible.

13. Kal-el4

Kal-el4 Cadet Newbie

Hi everyone,

I am new here, but I do have an Refit Mark 1 Constitution Class Enterprise I wanna share with everyone, and here it is: http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/Kal-el4/Kalel9876/Kal4Ent1701-2.jpg

I started designing this in 2004, cause I wanted to see what the refit Enterprise would look like with a more original configuration feel to it.

Since I myself couldn't design or render it using software, or by drawing it; I asked a friend in 2009 if he could do it for me.

The main body, including the pylons; is taken from the refit configuration, while the bridge module is given a more mark 1 look to it, and the navigational deflector is taken from the 2009 Movie's Enterprise; yet the nacelles themselves are a modified version of the Mark 1's nacelles, so they would work with the new design.

As for the bridge's interior (not shown) I decided to use the helm and navigation console from the Star Trek 5 version of the refit Enterprise, as well as the railing, and as for the captain's chair; that was taken from the 09 Enterprise, as was the starchart hud, station consoles and the railing's color scheme.

Now, as for uniforms, I decided to use the ones from the 09 movie, but make the deltas and rank striping gold in color, while the phasers are taken from the Star Trek II-Star Trek VI movies, as were the tricorders.

This is what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SfXQJLwaBo

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You would have been better off making your own thread instead of reviving a 2 year old dead thread. Not a bad little ship though.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lovely Ship design :) :techman:

16. Kal-el4

Kal-el4 Cadet Newbie

thanks you guys, and kaiser: your artwork reminds me of the animation style used in dragonball z

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

what artwork?

my Avatar? That was done and taken from a art by a chinese artist i know

that Manga link? thats a real Manga from 1991 i scanned it so it would be preserved forever on the internet cus some reson i've yet to see any good fan art or fan fics from it =/

my ships? Mostly made from pre made ship parts ^__^

18. 1701TPA

1701TPA Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

19. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

20. 1701TPA

1701TPA Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey Wingsley,
    I know this was a very old post... but given what you wrote above, I think you would be interested in checking out Ricky Wallace"s early 2010 models 1701 Enterprise, Shuttle, Drydock and even pods and workerbees > "The Prime Alternative"
    project website > www.1701PrimeAlternative.com
    Thread > http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=212419
    :)