The Art of Star Trek: Reanimated - The Sequel

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ptrope, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Reanimated - The Sequel

I recently dug out this old composition and loaded it into a newer rendering package with more robust lighting parameters, specifically, point source lights. I placed a few at low angles (like under consoles) and within the "tube chamber".

[​IMG]

That light within the chamber even casts a shadow from the grille upon the deck.

Better? :shrug:

Sincerely,

Bill

2. ghoyle1

ghoyle1 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Beautiful renders, Bill.

Guy

3. Redfern

Are you the same Ghoyle from the DAZ forums?

And to be fair, JT8 did have a valid point about the earlier render. I did use ambient occlusion to darken the corners and crevices, but otherwise the overall lighting was rather bland.

Sincerely,

Bill

4. ghoyle1

ghoyle1 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yep, that's me. I'm bilocating tonight ;-)

I'm terrible with lighting, but I liked the darker feel.

Guy

5. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Reanimated - The Sequel

Yes the darker feel is so much better. Reminds me of the lighting on ENT which while modern is very dynamic and more realistic.

6. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the interpretation of the TOS engine room in post 150 of this thread is one of the best I have ever seen.

What happened to this project BTW?

7. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

I've been looking forward to this myself. Hope it does not go the way of Exeter.

8. Redfern

I thought Ptrope himself would have answered by now.

In vague summary, since that modeling, he's suffered a couple of disk failures and more recently software/project/hardware compatibility issues (something about having to roll back to an earlier release of LightWave). This also affected his Pike era/TMP "fusion" bridge and his "steampunk" interpretation.

Sincerely,

Bill

9. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I don't know- I like the dramatic darkness, but it really seems impractical. I'd go with the brighter one, and then maybe the darker in a more red emergency lighting...

10. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Stealthily popping in to post all-new artwork, including all-new modeling on some of the old stuff (click images for larger, higher-quality originals) ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A closer view of the 'emergency intermix control console' at the end of the upper catwalk, complete with controls and displays in place:

[​IMG]

And one of the WIP images of the Elysian council chamber, updated a bit ... :

[​IMG]

11. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Sweet! Nice to see some more of this. Simply fantastic!

12. Redfern

[​IMG]

The other week Ptrope pondered upon the DAZ forums how to depict the red insectoid sitting upon the council. I presented several examples, but this was the one he thought had the most potential. I'm not claiming Ptrope will use this particular solution. I'm jusr saying of the four ideas I presented, this was the onehe liked the best.

Oh, believe it or not, this is not a dedicated "monster" mesh as the other three were. This is an insanely extreme morph reshaping what started as a human male geometry. No, I didn't create it. A clever vendor calling himself Grotto made this set. However, I did modify it by combining other morphs, hiding selected body parts and aligning two partial instances of the figure to get the 4 arms depicted in the original animation cel.

Yes, this arrangement does have a pelvis and legs, but I staged it like this since that's all we saw of the "bug" in the cartoon.

Sincerely,

Bill

13. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Love it. That looks great!

14. Gagarin

Gagarin Commander Red Shirt

^That shot reminds me of "The Rift" mission on Judgement Rights.

15. Redfern

[​IMG]

A lil' something to hopefully for Ptrope's "ReAnimated" thread, an experiment in "procedural" shaders to get the iconic compound eye effect for the Gorn. The head itself is a static mesh (modeled by XCalPro with ZBrush or MudBox) simply positioned atop an older DAZ figure, Michael 2. I found the supplied textures for the eyes somewhat "wanting", so I set about making some of my own. Rather than creating a texture using an image file, I used one of the 3D procedural nodes that one can modify within Poser's "Material Room". They can be a bit more "forgiving" if the UV mapping coordinates happen to be less than pristine. This is the result.

I tried an all "white" scheme for the "spot" node, but I found it looked better if I selected "random color" and thn ramped up the "diffuse" channel to partially "mute" the otherwise bold "rainbow".

Since a Gorn appears in a few shots of "The time Trap", I thought the render might be appropriate for this thread.

Sincerely,

Bill

16. Redfern

Say, Ptrope (and anyone else who uses Poser), XCalpro uploaded my prop (.pp2) version of his Gorn head geometry to his general download section.

The other day I was able to successfully "decimate" his original 60,000 polygon sculpture to a bit more resource friendly 15K, one quarter of its original poly count. Since he has placed his modeling and rigging project on hold, he's willing to distribute this "compact" version to the general public.

It can be found here.

http://xcalpro.com/tng/download.php?view.134

Keep in mind it needs to be "parented" to a host figure and a tube or torus prop is recommended to hide the nasty gap at the bottom of the Gorn's neck. After all, that's how they did it in the show itself.

BTW, this prop is not DAZ friendly. It makes use of Poser 5+ specific Material Room procedural nodes to create the leathery skin and the segmented eyes. the external .OBJ should be usable, hopefully.

If any intrepid DAZ user concocts any equivalent material settings, let XCalpro know. He has a developing section of DAZ specific downloads and I think he'll appreciate a version that D|S can use.

Sincerely,

Bill