The Return of Bruce Wayne in April!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Dec 9, 2009.

1. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I like this idea, though I think that Dick would be more likely to be "global Batman" or "JLA-Batman," as his former duties (and memberships in the Titans and whatnot) have shown him taking on a more globe-spanning role, while Bruce has maintained for years that things like the League take him away from the time he'd rather be spending in Gotham.

Yeah, I really like this idea....

(That's why they won't do it...)

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It's also repetitive of Batgirl right now, which is Batman Beyond with Barbara in the Bruce role and Steph in the Terry role. I love Steph -- she's the DC character I most want to write -- but Batgirl just isn't sitting well with me. Probably because Steph's the character I most want to write. ;)

I really thought Battle for the Cowl was going to end with two Batmen -- Dick and Jason.

Jason is number two on the list of DC characters I most want to write, by the way. :)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Good point. I'm not really that familiar with Dick/Nightwing's role in the comics.

It's just that it seems logical for Bruce to be the "senior" Batman. And he has been part of the JLA -- and the Trinity of heroes at its core -- for a very long time. Besides, if Bruce knew that someone he really trusted was bearing the mantle of the Batman, he might conclude that Gotham was in safe enough hands for him to step away from it. Indeed, one could make a case that Dick, being saner and less angsty than Bruce, might even help make Gotham a brighter place than Bruce could as Batman. And hanging around more with Clark and Diana would be good for Bruce's sanity.

4. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think based on the interview from Grant Morrison that the plan is to rejuvenate Bruce Wayne. As he says - "he needs to stay in his 30s". So, I don't see old Bruce Wayne happening.

I find the idea of 2 batman-n-robins interesting but potentially confusing. I like the idea of Damien-BruceWayne slightly. But it goes against everything we have been told.
    The Bruce in his 30s idea goes against him inhabiting Damien's body. (But the idea has appeal. A Robin (DamienBruce) who orders Batman (Dick), Red Robin (TimD), Oracle etc. around!!)

Bruce Wayne's destiny is to be Batman. Grant Morrison says it and Neil Gaiman said it too. He's the human who's at the peak of possible human perfection as far as acting as a non-powered superhero is concerned. Never gives up, always prepared and on and on. Besides being the goddamned Batman, he's also Batgod in human form!

After all that buildup , they can't leave it as Dick still being Batman. It just doesn't ring true.

5. Christopher

Well, I have no doubt that Bruce will be Batman again and always. But it just seems to me that if anyone's really earned the right to be Batman II, it's Dick Grayson. So it wouldn't seem quite fair to strip him of the cowl. Especially since DC's been down that road before with Prodigal, I think it was called.

6. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I kind of agree with you there. If anybody deserves it, Dick does.

However, the way that I think they'll finally resolve this is that Dick is somehow too noble, cheerful and good to function as Batman. And that only Bruce has the grit, dedication and end-justifies-the-means savoir faire (all the time avoiding using guns unless faced by Darkseid) to be the Batman. However, I'm drawing a complete blank as to what Dick will/should do after Bruce takes over the Bat-mantle again.

Unless they kill Dick! (Which would suck majorly!)I hope Grant Morrison's overall plan doesn't mean that Batman must not be allowed to have "friends" - so all the Robins have to die so that we can have a Frank-Milleresque Batman...

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm loving Batgirl. It is the only comic I am currently collecting right now issue by issue. I really like how it is playing out. Among other things, the comic is actually fun and somewhat light in comparison to the other Bat-books.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Wow I knew that they were going to bring him back but I never assumed that it'd be this early...

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had no idea he was gone...

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Christopher not to be nitpicky but Dick is really the third Batman since Jean-Paul Valley was Batman II after Bruce.

11. Christopher

But I think Valley's actions in the suit would've pretty much gotten him stripped of the right to the name, though. He's the "impeached" Batman, not the true heir.

12. Broccoli

He went out to get some smokes. The first store was probably out of his brand.

He should be back any minute now.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good point Christopher...

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, that's true. For what the book is, it works. :)

I'm having a difficult time wrapping my mind around the idea that Steph is old enough to be in college. It's only two or three months ago, DCU time, that she and Tim were still in high school, and Tim's only about sixteen.

It's not inconceivable that Steph is college aged. I'm just having a hard time buying that.

Again, I have a specific vision of Steph, and Batgirl isn't it. So long as the book entertains me, I'm in. I do like the character, and I have since way back when. It's nice to see her getting some respect.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

More than that, there's also crazy 50s Cap.

16. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

the return of the 1 and future batman! we know it was comeing! Most people think Bruce Wayne is batman! And with the next movie coming DC and WB want there cash cow back! Batman is dead long live batman!;)

17. Broccoli

Maybe they both aged Tim and Steph to freshmen-age. Tim does seem to be acting older than 16 as of Batman Reborn. Honestly, though, the book works better with her being in college, I think.

18. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder who stayed dead longer, Batman or Superman...

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

But Batman didn't actually die did he? He just became a cave man.

I agree he's back earlier than expected. But better now than another year away.

20. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any effort by DC to find a new Batman would ultimately be rigged in Dick Grayson's favor. There might be a competition among would-be successors to Batman, but it would be a charade with a preordained result. Dick would win every time just because too many people believe he is entitled to the honor.