X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

So, let's get hypothetical here. Imagine that First Class was, indeed, a complete reboot of the X-franchise, set in modern times rather than 1962. Same basic story (Xavier and Magneto becoming friends, the Hellfire Club threatening global destruction to usher in the ascendancy of mutantkind, etc.). What would have to be changed to make it fit in 2011?

The most obvious, of course, is the story of Magneto. This is one of the great things about keeping First Class a period piece, because tying his origin to the Nazis and Jews during World War II is absolutely perfect for his motivation. But since we need Erik to be a thirtysomething man in 2011, that obviously won't work. The closest modern-day analogy would probably be the ethnic cleansing carried out by the Serbs against the Bosnians in the early 1990s. They even used concentration camps. So perhaps Erik and his family could be Bosnians, and Sebastian Shaw could have been working with the Serbs. Fast forward to the present, and Erik is hunting down Serbian war criminals in an effort to find Shaw. It works, but it's not as good as the Nazi storyline, IMO.

The other big change would be the setting of the ultimate showdown. We obviously can't use the Cuban Missile Crisis, and since it's in modern times it's likely we'd have to make up some sort of situation into which Shaw manipulates the world powers.

Finally, the mutant lineup could be changed. By making FC a reboot, we could use the actual first class--meaning Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Angel (the real one), and Iceman. It'd make sense to include Storm, too, so that Jean isn't the only girl. Mystique would still be included, of course. We'd need to include a sacrificial lamb to replace Darwin, though (unless we just stick with Darwin). Any ideas there?

2. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was thinking that as great as X-Men: FC was, it would have been even better if it'd had the original five (Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Beast, and Angel). I realize they couldn't go that route because it was a prequel. But that would've just been awesome. Pure icing on the cake. And with more familiar characters, I think the movie may have been more successful as well.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think that Bryan Singer would invalidate his own two movies in an attempt to reboot the franchise. "X3" sure because he didn't direct that film and probably the reason why he chose to ignore elements from that movie. There's no reason that First Class has to be a complete reboot, hypothetically or not. I don't get why you would need to change anything to make it fit "2011".

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  4. Skywalker

Nothing needs to be changed (as I said in my post). It's just for fun. :p

5. Admiral_Young

Fair enough. I'm just cranky tonight :) I'd find it more fun to discuss a plot that doesn't have to "reboot" or "invalidate" anything already established myself. I think a second movie should juxtapose Xavier recruiting more X-Men and Magneto recruiting mutants for his Brotherhood. Once again focusing on their relationship but this time the start of them being enemies.

6. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't want to see a young of the original crew, Jean Grey, etc, here because I like the first two films. I thought First Class would be even more Xavier and Erik than it was, and in hindsight that is my one problem with the film- they shouldn't have bothered with the lesser mutants here. What ever sequels come about, I hope they drop some of the wasted or useless people from this one.

My poor Admiral. I'm tormenting again already! :P 2013 makes a lot of sense. If they begin all the pre stages early next year and you know, take their time until Summer 2013, that fits in the scheduling. I would much rather have this sequel than Deadpool.

7. Admiral_Young

^ I'm already anticipating the sequel thread with you my dear. :) Personally I could care less about "Deadpool" now that the leaked script has been rewritten. I do care about "The Wolverine" and I really want Singer back for "X4".

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

But they're not really enemies yet, are they? More estranged ex-friends. Besides, even at the start of X1, Wheels and Mags are able to have a reasonably friendly talk.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mag Wheels.

God help us all.

10. Skywalker

Sounds like a sitcom waiting to happen. :lol:

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

He chose to ignore elements from all the previous films. First Class is a reboot, according to the director. Also, according to Singer's public statements, he approved of Ratner's work on X3. The prerelease assumption that First Class would only ignore X3 has not been borne out. The unlikely workarounds proposed to make FC fit the other films don't fit with the intent of FC.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So if they do an X4, which movies do you think it will incorporate into it's backstory? I'm thinking the first 2 and FC would be the most likely, since they're the ones Singer was involved with. Either that or the first 3 and FC, I don't really foresee XO: Wolverine playing much of a role.

13. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Uhm, not quite true. FC had an almost identical opening scene as the first X-men movie, had cameos by Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Romijn Stamos, and I remember reading a quote from Matthew Vaughn saying that it most definitely IS a prequel, even though it has some elements of a reboot.

Richard Roeper called it a "pre-boot". :lol:

Matthew Vaughn is, on the other hand, continuously taking jabs at Brett Ratner, trashing X3 on every given occasion.

Not cool, if you ask me. Ratner made some good films back in the day ("Red dragon" is IMO waaay out of Vaughn's league, even though I still prefer "Manhunter").

14. Set Harth

These are the quotes I've seen:
    There is, however, a leading question from the interviewer about hypothetical movies "between" FC and X1, a notion which Vaughn declines to contradict.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  15. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the general rule will be that they wont reference each other at all and will avoid using the same characters. The trickiest thing will be Moira - if Xavier is 'reborn' on Muir Island and they want to build on that then Moira needs to be older than she was in X3 unless they come up with some throwaway line about her looking fantastic for her age... Maybe Beast tried to use a variant on the 'cure' he came up with when Moira was pregnant with Proteus and now she ages slower. Whether she should be dating Banshee is another matter - he's no more than 10 years younger than her.

Personally, I want X4 to be about the Marauders Massacre without Professor X but then I want a second trilogy. I think it would be quite doable to make X5 at least partially on Muir Island with the injured characters from X4. Mixing in Shadowcat's limminent death with the mystery of Proteus with a similar tone to X1 might be fun.

16. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Vaughan is way out of Red Dragon's league, actually. Red Dragon is such a perfect example of pedestrian, by-the-book, beginner filmmaking 101 that it's almost laughable.

17. Set Harth

I refuse to watch it, mainly because I'm a Manhunter fanatic and I see remaking the film as a kind of blasphemy. As the saying goes, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

18. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

When you want to someone to blandly direct your movie, you call Ratner.

19. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's a hack! But I actually kind of liked The Weather Man.

20. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Manhunter and Red Dragon are great examples of "what to do/what not to do" in terms of creative filmmaking.

Remember in Manhunter, the great scene where Dolarhyde takes Reba (who is blind) to the veterinarian/zoo, and he places her hand on the tiger? In the scene, you didn't see the tiger until Reba touches it?

In Red Dragon, Ratner cuts into a wide shot of the room, tiger and all, before you even know the reason they're there.

Like...seriously.