Disappointing DVD releases

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Miss Chicken, May 3, 2012.

1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I had to buy a couple of seasons of Hercules to get the crossovers from Xena of the Hope and Callisto arcs. I ripped them and made my own compilation DVDs with everything in order.

2. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He says it, though they muddle it up with the sound effect of the gunshot.

3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am surprised that people buy region 4 releases at all, seeing that it is usually considerably cheaper to buy region 1 or 2 DVDs.

4. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

See I would have sworn we HEARD him say it, it' s just been awhile and my memory is faulty.

I guess I'm not mad then. :lol:

5. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think in terms of Blu Ray it's due in part to what the features were when released onto DVD. A lot of R2 DVDs didn't have the R1 extra features, and when they've since released the movie/series onto Region B BD they haven't bothered doing the extras as they'd have to go before the BBFC for classification.

It does seem to be less of an issue nowadays though, luckily.

God yes. Even worse, the Stargate SG1 releases - 4/5 episodes per release, and then 5 releases per season, and not even the option of a full season set until much farther down the line (season 7 or 8 onwards).

6. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Werent the full season collections (in the huge boxes as they were basically the episode dvds stuck in one box) available much earlier? I know you could get the early seasons in those collections a long time before season 7/8 came out.

I was quite disappointed with the last season of Scrubs (well the last season proper, before the medstudents season). No commentary on the last episode!!

7. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Poor wording on my part.

The earlier seasons were available in season form prior to season 7/8 releases, however they were some way behind the individual releases. Season 1 for example came out in season form 4 years after the series had aired on TV and at least 3 years after the individual DVD releases.

To be fair, SG1 wasn't the only series where that happened. Farscape was similar.

That carried on until season 5, when they eventually caught up to a point.

8. Phillip Culley

Phillip Culley Captain Captain

Season 1 is a bad example since that was never properly released individually in R2 - there was a 'best of season 1' set with Children of the Gods and the last 3 episodes, while 2 more episodes (IIRC Thor's Hammer and Hathor) were added as a bonus to the last disc in Season 2 - the rest of the season was never released outside of the boxsets :)

To be fair though, from what I remember the whole concept of complete season box sets never really caught on in the UK for several years - for years we were plagued with best of and single-disc releases - what boxsets did come out were extremely expensive at the time...

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Box sets on initial release can still be expensive in the UK. Though to be fair to the SG-1, you can't say that they were light with the special features, episode commentaries on most episodes etc...

10. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

The R4 Farscape sets were a particularly outstanding example of this. The extras were absolutely pathetic (and something as basic as subtitles weren't included). To top it off, each disc "features" the channel 9 logo before the menu - good ol' 9, the network that completely screwed the show in Australia.

(Why yes, I'm still disgusted about that. However did you guess?)

I've pretty much given up on TV box sets as released in Oz; now that our dollar and the US dollar are more or less even I find it's cheaper to buy from overseas - even with postage factored in. It's a pathetic situation that probably won't change any time soon.

11. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction... Fox still hasn't released the entire series yet. They've only released the first season, which isn't bad... but still I'd love to get a hold of the entire series, not just one part :lol:.

12. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

The DVD release of M*A*S*H pisses me off.

First, there were no special features. That's fine. I can live with that. But then, after waiting six months or more between seasons, about a year after they released the final season they re-released the series. In slim cases. And they released a special collector's set with special features.

I'm not big on fancy boxes for special editions that don't fit on the shelf but it really pissed me off that they re-released the series in the slim cases which would take up half the space the original release does.

13. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I was twerked when "Gods of the Arena" didn't have commentaries on the DVD set. That season (and I assume the next/Spartacus Vengeance) was only on the blue ray set.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

What's as annoying is where there change the design part way through the series. I.e S1/2 will have a picture forming on the spine but S3-5 won't. Or they move to slimline packaging halfway through.

Is it so hard to ask that once you start a certain format to keep it?

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Back in 2007 Fox released a special three disk set consisting of the series finale and the special features from the complete series set after fans bitched about no features on the regular sets. It pissed me off too, but I went ahead and got it for the bonus stuff. I ended up giving my extra copy of the finale to a friend in the hopes that he would become a fan.

He didn't.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least there's one thing that (AFAIK) all M*A*S*H DVDs have in common: They let you disable the laugh track.

17. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

These complaints aren't specific to any one DVD, but are about general trends in video releases:

1) lack of special features on the 1-disc DVD. You have to buy at least the two-disc version to get what used to be the "standard" package of extras. Some properties take it 1 step further and have Blu Ray only extra features. This is patently unfair to those who cannot afford the 2-discers or are stuck with DVD as opposed to Blu Ray.

2) Series that don't complete their DVD releases. I'm still waiting for X-men Evolution S4 and seaQuest S3.

3) Price gouging on season sets. Paramount/CBS I'm looking at YOU. $25-50 is the standard season set price...Why do you insist on charging $100+ retail for Trek sets?

4) Blu Ray only release (Paramount, looking your way again)...as I said before, not all of us can afford to buy a new player, and the Blu Rays are $10-15 higher than DVD for the same material.

5) poor quality transfers, esp on materials from the late 90s-early 00s. Esp a problem with animated shows as there seems to be a lot of "ghosting" and "strobing" image-wise. X-Men Evolution, for example, has this problem in spades.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You forgot: Shitty packaging.

The TNG sets had this problem, and how. You had to take one box out of another box, then unfold about six or seven times before you could get to the disc you wanted. Nowadays almost all DVD boxed sets have those little slimline cases inside, one for each DVD, which is much better. But those damned fold-fold-fold-fold... :brickwall:

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The TNG DVD packaging was divine compared to the crappy packaging that Paramount offered for the DS9 DVD sets.

20. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Agreed. I treat my dvds very well and yet all my DS9 sets either have tiny cracks in the thin plastic disc holders or the inside cover with the episode listings has snapped off. They are very badly made.

Last edited: May 16, 2012