So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Started No Time Like the Past by Greg Cos last night. Been awhile since I got round to Trek Lit, and my reading of NF has been put on the back burner, but the itch became impossible to ignore. The concept sounded awesome so had to give it a go!

2. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Finished a story by Stephen King & Son, "In the Tall Grass" last night. First scary, then creepy to disgusting; I enjoyed it. :)

3. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I really liked Una McCormack's 'The Missing'. Fast paced whodunit, alien of the week storyline (I like those), and I liked the more in-depth investigation into Corazame's personality. Metiger was by comparison a little bland, but maybe we'll see more of her in the future.

"Rogue Saucer" by John Vornholt was a pretty good episode novel. Those that remembered enjoying it remembered well. I didn't particularly like the way Nechayev was portrayed - what ever the circumstances, I can't imagine her willingly being 'held in Riker's arms'. I think she would have fought to her dying breath to get away from that situation. What an odd mental picture.

Onto another Vanguard book, 'Precipice' by David Mack. I haven't been reading these sequentially, but I've either been really lucky or the overall storyline is looser than I think it is, because somehow I keep ending up choosing a Vanguard book that seems to take place right after the last one I read. I like it so far - I've liked all the Vanguard books I've read.

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although I understand how people felt about Revelations and Dust, I'm convinced DRGIII is doing something similar with this as he did with RBoE and his Typhon Pact Duology. So, I'm reserving final judgement untill I've read his upcoming DS9 novel, which I'm guessing will continue/resolve what he started with this novel.
    I do agree, the Keev storyline was hard to connect with.

5. Gul Re'jal

That's what I'm thinking too. That's why his DS9 novel is one I'm looking forward to: there must be a reason of all that story, and I want to know what it is! ;)

6. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I wish I could be that optimistic. I wasn't as down on RBoE as others had been, but I only had a short wait before getting to Raise/Dawn. However, there's still a lot of things from the "Four Year Jump" that I haven't really bought into, despite the build up across, now, four books.

Update.
    In before the edit button disappeared! I finished up The Crimson Shadow which was fantastic. A great insight into Garak, interesting look at Cardassia, nice spotlight for my favorite "new crew" character Dygan and a sort of LeCarré-light plot. Picard & Co. do kind of get pushed to the side and part of me wonders if maybe having Ezri would have been a little more fun. Still, Picard and Garak is a great combo. Excellent read. Really made up for my disappointment with the first installment of The Fall.

Now onto A Ceremony of Losses, which is pretty good about 40 pages in. I also read the first issue of the Trek/Planet of the Apes crossover comic which was actually pretty good, definitely among the strongest Tipton Borthers scripts I've seen in a while. Loved the art, too. Surprisingly grounded for such a crossover.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  7. Gul Re'jal

I just started "Sphere" by Crichton. I've heard from many people that the book is better than the film (which is true for almost all books-turn-film with a few exceptions), so it's time to see for myself.

8. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I keep saying I'm going to reread Sphere and I never quite get around to it. I love the movie and love the book. Maybe when I finally finish the 24th Century Trek novels. ;)

9. Gul Re'jal

^ It took me ages to get to it. I noticed it in a library, but was at my limit with borrowed books, then it was constantly checked out, then I moved to another continent and they don't have it in the library here. So eventually I "gave up", and bought it.

10. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of a classic novel that I loved in my childhood: Diane Duane's TNG: Dark Mirror.

At the moment, I'm reading the first book in the Slings and Arrows series, A Sea of Troubles.

11. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I read Dark Mirror when I was in junior high school. I felt the DS9 version of the mirror univese was just horrid other then the first story. After that first epsoide the story line just got silly. I am hopeful the novels in the DS9r are redeeming. I thought the Enterprise mirror universe 2 parter was pretty good.

12. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

The novel-verse MU has been amazing. David Mack (primarily) has really fleshed it out into a universe that i'd love reading about every year. If only :scream:!

13. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree completely. I really enjoyed DS9's "Crossover," and while the other entries in the MU canon weren't stellar, it only really went off the rails in "The Emperor's New Cloak." The work that David Mack and others have done in the MU literature has been amazing. The Sorrows of Empire and Rise Like Lions are two of my top Trek novels of the last ten years.

14. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Finished A Walk Among The Tombstones by Lawrence Block. I love his Matt Scudder series (I have a thing for this type of detective stuff generally), but haven't read them in order. I see they made a movie of this one (which I haven't seen yet) with Liam Neeson in the role, and I can totally hear Neeson's voice narrating and speaking, so that's probably good casting. It was good, though with a somewhat abrupt ending that somehow didn't quite feel as climactic as it probably should have. So, loved it, of course, but I still think A Dance At The Slaughterhouse is my favourite of the ones I've read.

15. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Oh, groovy, does that mean you'll be reviewing S&A for the site?

16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started rereading TNG Watching the clock by Christopher Bennett.

17. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I have a question about 'The Missing'. Maybe someone can answer this for me.

Where does Una McCormack get 'Katherine D. Pulaski' from? It comes up on page 222 -

"...."Need more samples! Working on this and will be in touch. KDP
    I wonder what the D stands for, Crusher thought, relieved that she didn't have to tell Pulaski that her test didn't work."

Is this just made up, or does Katherine Pulaski's middle initial come up somewhere else? I swear I'd heard her referred to as Katherine D. Pulaski somewhere before I read this but I can't find the source if it exists.

18. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Diana Muldaur played her...so my guess would be from there.

19. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

My guess was that the 'D' stands for Diana as well, but I still have this nagging feeling that it comes up somewhere else and bugs the hell out of me that I can't place it.

It's possible this was just Ms. McCormack's nod to Diana Muldaur, but the way it was presented implies something a little more.

20. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Game of thrones: A feast for crows