Giving TREK to...

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by David.Blue, Sep 23, 2013.

?

Who should replace JJ Abrams to the "runner" of Star Trek?

1. Russell T. Davies

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Aaron Sorkin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Tim Burton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Joss Whedon

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  5. Other (not one of us)

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

Who? Presuming JJ Abrams is out, to whom should Star Trek be entrusted next? Either television or movies.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Abrams is under contract for one more movie as I understand, so he's not out yet for another three or four years.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

He's already out as director, but his Bad Robot company will be producing the film with Orci and Kurtzman coming back to write.

Next up? Andrew Stanton. Whatever universe he's playing in, he seems to know how to bring the best out of it.

4. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Russell T. Davies in charge of Trek - turning it into some lame Doctor Who-like pseudo-fantasy. I literally shudder at the very thought.

5. SolitaryJustice

SolitaryJustice Lieutenant Red Shirt

If you've ever seen Torchwood, you'd know that Davies would be pretty awesome at the helm, although I'd pray to God they give it to Ronald D. Moore.

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

You sure about that? Considering what he did to BSG, I don't think to many fans would be happy with what he'd do to Trek. Besides, we did dark and gritty: we had DS9.

7. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

You know, the whole premise behind BSG pretty much screams "dark and gritty."

Just as DW pretty much is a pseudo-science fantasy.

8. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If they gave it to Sorkin it would be really talky. A lot of fans might like that. :lol:

9. SolitaryJustice

I know a lot of the old school BSG fans didn't like the new one. My mom was so fiercely loyal to the old one she didn't even make it through the first miniseries. But I, who had never really taken old school BSG seriously, consider the remade BSG to be the best sci-fi series I've ever seen, and I'm a DEVOUT Trekkie! So, for me, I'd say I'm sure about Moore. I like his style. And while I think that DS9 is dark and gritty, I recently re-watched it, after having watched BSG and FireFly, Dr. Who, and Torchwood, that it wasn't really gritty at all. It was a soap opera. It kinda made me sad, because DS9 was my favorite series, and it still is, but Star Trek, in general, under Rick Berman seemed to be so predicable and formulaic. They tried to change things up. Some of the producers really tried to rock the boat, but what led to the demise of Enterprise, I feel, was how predicable and formulaic it was. That's why ST09 was such a breath of fresh air in a way. I think Moore can do that with Star Trek. He did with BSG, and he's involved and responsible enough to "respect" the canon when and wherever it's concerned, but not to use it as a crutch. All of the other guys could, too. Don't get me wrong. But personally, I like Moore's style.

10. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Vince Gilligan?

I can dream.

11. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ A show called Breaking Trek? I like it. :techman:

Sean

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Why can't I choose myself?

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd want someone to weird the fuck out of it. I'd love to see someone like Grant Morrison come along and totally deconstruct the whole thing.

14. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

The guys who did "Firefly"?

15. SolitaryJustice

Haha Terry Gilliam!

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Whedon's pretty tied up with Avengers at the moment, and I think he's got a pretty full schedule lined up when he leaves Avengers.

17. SolitaryJustice

Whedon would be cool for Star Trek, but not the coolest. I really like what they've done with Doctor Who and Torchwood. I like that nobody's safe. It would be cool if they recruited from across the pond. I mean, it would be awesome if The Doctor showed up and fought Q or something, too, but let's be realistic. I'd settle for a director or a writer or two.

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Clint Eastwood. Not known for fantasy/sci'fi, but I'm impressed by the majority of his pictures. Tight with great characters.

I'm not suggesting he act in Star Trek, but to produce and direct (and maybe write).

:)

19. SolitaryJustice

Oh, Clint Eastwood would be an AWESOME Star Trek director.

20. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"You feeling lucky? Make my day, you Klingon punk."